Best Stihl saws ever made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive run a lot of saws and ou didnt mention it, but, my 390 w/a 20" bar has been the most reliable saw Ive owned. I take it up in trees, cut all day, beat the heck out of it....plenty of power (with a 20" bar), light, and very very reliable. But, needing more to run bigger bars I bought an MS460 a few months back....AMAZING saw. Wompin power, awesome power to weight ratio and sounds great! I dont think Ill ever need more than my arbor saw, my 390 and my MS460.

attachment.php

View attachment 237235
The perfect chain saw. What more could any man possibly want. Very nice!!!

it's stringy bark
it is a bit softer and a lot easier to split most of the time

Last edited:
I love my 056 ... recently picked up an 038 Magnum for $150 that need an oil pump. It runs good and has a ton of power, but with a sharp chain and clean air filter, that 056 eats trees for breakfast. Love the throaty sound of an 056. Would like to get a 044 to rebuild, but until I get to old, I play to run that 056.

I love my 056 ... recently picked up an 038 Magnum for $150 that need an oil pump. It runs good and has a ton of power, but with a sharp chain and clean air filter, that 056 eats trees for breakfast. Love the throaty sound of an 056. Would like to get a 044 to rebuild, but until I get to old, I play to run that 056.
I picked up a super 038 last year and have used it for a couple of storm clean ups , the AF dual port muffler really sounds great on it ,nice and throaty. It definitely has some torque.

034 AVS - not quite as powerful as my 044 but a lot lighter, and a lot more saw than my 026 with a similar feel...
I feel the same about the 034-036 models. Powerful enough to back up stock 70cc saws and and weight and handling more like a 50cc. Usually if i want to go lighter then my 034super, i skip my ported 026 and go to my muffler modded 025. The 044 is a sweet handing saw for 70cc a bit more fitting for 25in bars and longer hours of use. If i feel a need for larger then 70cc i usually skip 80 and go to my 064 or ms660, 85 to 90ishcc if i remember correct.

Back