Best value in chainsaw files

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walmart is the way to go. You can get almost any brand no shipping cost. I buy enough and say that will hold for awhile. Dull files just make me very POed. There is not always a sale going on, but decent prices and quite convenient. Thanks

Can't say I've seen files at Walmart.
Their small tool selection is mostly stuff that's fairly low quality.

Lots of "deals" out there until you look at shipping. If it's added to an order may have no impact but standalone for a dozen files it can get impressive.

This. Shipping kills.

One of my favorite things to do is to put a new file in the hands of someone who's been trying for years possibly to sharpen with a dull file. I've been disappointed by Oregon and Timber Tuff brands. Stihl files work pretty well and are what's available at my dealer that's close.

Hey dufus you have a computer right? Go to the website type in what you want hit search and there are your choices. Like Amazon you will have to meet minimum purchase and then it will be shipped to your house or store for free. If it is a store item when near store go pick it up and use it until you have some thing else to worry about. I get my hardware sent there like screws washers and two smoke oil. It is not always a steal, but always very reasonable and easy. Some times you find an item that is much less than any where else. I needed tires for my skid steer so typed in my size and there they were. Fifty bucks cheaper per tire than any where else. It is hard to beat. Thanks

Hey dufus you have a computer right? Go to the website type in what you want hit search and there are your choices. Like Amazon you will have to meet minimum purchase and then it will be shipped to your house or store for free. If it is a store item when near store go pick it up and use it until you have some thing else to worry about. I get my hardware sent there like screws washers and two smoke oil. It is not always a steal, but always very reasonable and easy. Some times you find an item that is much less than any where else. I needed tires for my skid steer so typed in my size and there they were. Fifty bucks cheaper per tire than any where else. It is hard to beat. Thanks
Order my fair share online but try to support local businesses. I live in the middle of nowhere and have a Stihl dealership 2 miles from home, most can't say that. I try to support my local grocery store at least once a month. More expensive yeah. But I know the people who make a living at both places and if they are gone, im either ordering it or driving an hour in an emergency.

Well acquainted with Amazon. Been a prime member for many many years.

Sincerely,
Dufus

Didn't know Walmart did that. I bet it's not free shipping here though.

I do know their website is slow and the search doesn't work well.

They used to carry AW32 oil for a good price. Last time I was there, they just had 1 gallon jugs and the worker claimed they hadn't sold it in pails in "years" even though I had bought some a few months back.
Tried to find it on the website, gave up after 15+ mins.

Edit...

Just looked. Shipping is "free" but there's a "delivery surcharge".
I put in a qty of 4 boxes of folders, $9 and change each.
They want almost $19.25 delivery on $36 of folders.

I do know their website is slow and the search doesn't work well.

They used to carry AW32 oil for a good price. Last time I was there, they just had 1 gallon jugs and the worker claimed they hadn't sold it in pails in "years" even though I had bought some a few months back.
Tried to find it on the website, gave up after 15+ mins.

Edit...

Just looked. Shipping is "free" but there's a "delivery surcharge".
I put in a qty of 4 boxes of folders, $9 and change each.
They want almost $19.25 delivery on $36 of folders.

That’s Alaska for you

I do know their website is slow and the search doesn't work well. They used to carry AW32 oil for a good price. Last time I was there, they just had 1 gallon jugs and the worker claimed they hadn't sold it in pails in "years" even though I had bought some a few months back. Tried to find it on the website, gave up after 15+ mins. Edit... Just looked. Shipping is "free" but there's a "delivery surcharge". I put in a qty of 4 boxes of folders, $9 and change each. They want almost $19.25 delivery on $36 of folders.

Choppy there are plenty deals out there at Walmart where you pay nothing for shipping. It appears that you just need to familiarize your self to the great bargains. I do not believe you could have worse internet service than I do here. When I go see my mom and son I take my laptop so as to take advantage of the zippy internet service. On larger bulky items, item will be shipped to the nearest store for free. To take advantage of those deals one has to meet certain minimum requirements. Many companies will not do business with me because we do not have physical addresses here so I use Walmart a lot or have items shipped to my mom's house. No one wants Choppy to operate in the dark ages. Thanks

Enough with the name calling. Let’s not ‘defile’ this thread. Or else I’ll start with, 'the best value in chainsaw files is to buy a grinder . . . .' Philbert

Philbert Walmart has a host of chain grinders from mild to wild just for you. I was surprised that some start out at $30 to about a $1000 using hydraulics as source. I was wondering why some one could not carefully set up a cheap grinder that will work with one size of chain. I used to use a high end Sthil grinder, but it took forever to set it up for perfection. Thanks

Which is nuts considering the Anchorage airport is the 5th busiest shipping hub in the world.
Almost everything from west asia coming to the L48 stops there for fuel.

I would tend to doubt that. Most product coming from Asia comes by cargo container over the water. And it usually goes to SF in Cali. From there it gets loaded on freight cars of the Union Pacific railroad to head East. Then it goes by truck to shipping depots.

From web

Summary
Anchorage airport was once a global passenger hub when passenger aircraft range was more limited.
The airport was an air crossroads for the world long before others emerged and had a key role as the west-east fuel station.
There is little demand for point-to-point intercontinental services with Anchorage as the origin and destination point.
Anchorage is mostly recognised today as a major air cargo hub, owing to its strategic location on the shortest routing between many points in North American and Asia. It has established itself as one of the world’s top five cargo hubs.
The airport is also now projected to become an e-commerce hub.

Anchorage is mostly recognised today as a major air cargo hub, owing to its strategic location on the shortest routing between many points in North American and Asia. It has established itself as one of the world's top five cargo hubs. The airport is also now projected to become an e-commerce hub.Aug 22, 2019
CAPA - Centre for Aviation › reports
Anchorage airport: an east-west hub growing into cargo and e-commerce | CAPA - CAPA - Centre for Aviation

Philbert Walmart has a host of chain grinders . . . I was surprised that some start out at $30 . . . I was wondering why some one could not carefully set up a cheap grinder that will work with one size of chain.
Ted,
I have never purchased from Walmart.com, but have chased the $30 grinders down the rabbit hole:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/hf-chain-grinder-thread.268303/
It’s a separate topic, but the ‘$30 grinders’ work best when equipped with a $26 wheel. Still limited in power and function, but OK for some.

Philbert

I like Save Edge files. I have some of their double bevel & goofy files and they rock. They cut super well, I can clean up a square ground chain that got into some dirt in a couple strokes. I can’t comment on their round files, but if they’re anything like their square files then they’re killer.

The best raker gauge is the Oregon .025” center drop right now, IMO since it was brought up. I know it was meant for 3/8 LP but it works great on full size chains too. The ease of use trumps how soft the steel is.

One thing I have not heard much is how long do they last. Some seem to be a little harder than others. Then some get dirty and pretty much stop. I would have to say that Oregon brand last consistent and removes material quick. They are sensitive to certain elements because they are a little more course. However if I see a close out or sale I am there. Thanks

My box of save edge files arrived. Fun fact: the box says Made in Portugal Processed in USA.

Wonder if they’re made by Bahco.

I would tend to doubt that. Most product coming from Asia comes by cargo container over the water. And it usually goes to SF in Cali. From there it gets loaded on freight cars of the Union Pacific railroad to head East. Then it goes by truck to shipping depots.

I should have said everything coming via air freight.
Instead of loading enough fuel to fly China to Cali, they load much less and load more Walmart crap (haha) and stop in Anchorage for fuel.
Sometimes they just turn and burn, other times they are there for a day or two for crew rest, off load, on load, etc.
I do know that if the airport was just moving people it wouldn't survive. It's something like 10% of the income.

There's are huge UPS, FedEx and USPS hubs there, also Amazon.

Point being - it gets tiring dealing with "Alaska" shipping when it's generally not an actual issue.

Latest posts

Back