best wat to hire a climber?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my82cam

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a tree service in Nashville TN. Just a small tree service but sometimes i need a climber. i have a lot of new climbing gear and do some climbing myself but some stuff is best left to an expert climber that has more experience than i do. I found a guy who has been climbing for 10 years or so, but doesn't own any of his own gear and would have to use my stuff. i guess my question is this, should i hire someone who has to use my gear? does this make me more liable for his safety if he uses my gear? i dont want to get sued by him or his wife if he gets hurt. would having him sign a general liability release form be a good thing for me to do? thought i would ask what you guys thought, thanks

Wow!! An arborist for ten years with no gear? Sounds like you and him both are new to this game. Walk away from that and find someone insured or just turn down the jobs you dont want. You will find that NOT paying doctor bills and lawsuits can be profitable.

I have a tree service in Nashville TN. Just a small tree service but sometimes i need a climber. i have a lot of new climbing gear and do some climbing myself but some stuff is best left to an expert climber that has more experience than i do. I found a guy who has been climbing for 10 years or so, but doesn't own any of his own gear and would have to use my stuff. i guess my question is this, should i hire someone who has to use my gear? does this make me more liable for his safety if he uses my gear? i dont want to get sued by him or his wife if he gets hurt. would having him sign a general liability release form be a good thing for me to do? thought i would ask what you guys thought, thanks

Unless he is an in idependent contractor has his own gear and truck insurance etc and you pay him as an independant contractor and give him a 10-99 form you are responsible at least in my state check your laws.If you are worried you need to talk to a lawyer about it.Do not take advice here as 100 percent true.

well, he said he had some gear but it got stolen a couple years ago. he works for NES and they supply him with all gear needed so he doesn't feel the need to buy new gear he wont use. i haven't felt right about using him, i think i should go with my gut feeling and with what you guys say too.

ive only been climbing full time for lil over 2 years ive had my own gear b4 that as well when i was a greenie. IDC what they say i will only climb on MY gear and rope, and i will only run my 200t. Job is to dangerous to use someone elses stuff and not know what happen to it b4 you used it or to have a saw that dont want to start right. IMO he aint a real climber if he dont have his own saddle, safety lanyard(flipline), spikes and climb line.

if your worried about getting sued if he gets hurt it makes it sound like you are not insured... so first step get insurance... and I'm pretty sure, in any state, unless he is insured personally you are still responsible if he gets hurt. you can 1099 someone for any wages paid if you dont take taxes out but that does not releive you of the duty to carry insurance

well, he said he had some gear but it got stolen a couple years ago. he works for NES and they supply him with all gear needed so he doesn't feel the need to buy new gear he wont use. i haven't felt right about using him, i think i should go with my gut feeling and with what you guys say too.

I say try him out but not on a job and see how he climbs

ive only been climbing full time for lil over 2 years ive had my own gear b4 that as well when i was a greenie. IDC what they say i will only climb on MY gear and rope, and i will only run my 200t. Job is to dangerous to use someone elses stuff and not know what happen to it b4 you used it or to have a saw that dont want to start right. IMO he aint a real climber if he dont have his own saddle, safety lanyard(flipline), spikes and climb line.

Climbing gear does not a Climber make! But the fact that he does not have any tells me he is fly by night gypsy.But that dont mean he can not be trained to be a really good one!

i have insurance and a license but that doesn't mean i am okay with getting sued over something lol just trying to be smart about this. i know i wont use anyone elses gear but my own to climb and dont see why someone else would use a strangers gear. i think i need to do some thinking about this

Yeah, I always go with what my gut tells me. Right now my gut is telling me just to laugh at yer ass you non-climbing tree service owner. Well maybe you can just tell the climber what to do from the ground? Better not because it seems you wouldn't be able to pick a climber out of a line up. Jeez, what a circus you jess described.:potstir:

Yeah, I always go with what my gut tells me. Right now my gut is telling me just to laugh at yer ass you non-climbing tree service owner. Well maybe you can just tell the climber what to do from the ground? Better not because it seems you wouldn't be able to pick a climber out of a line up. Jeez, what a circus you jess described.:potstir:

i don't see what is so funny? i know of several large tree services where the owners have never climbed a tree in their life. maybe you didn't read my first post, but i do climb, hence the reason why i have climbing gear(i know i am not a "professional" climber and that is the reason i am looking for someone i can hire that i can learn from and get the job done at the same time). i also don't see what makes what i just described a "circus." i am a small business owner, asking for advice of other business owners that have more experience than i do.

i don't see what is so funny? i know of several large tree services where the owners have never climbed a tree in their life. maybe you didn't read my first post, but i do climb, hence the reason why i have climbing gear(i know i am not a "professional" climber and that is the reason i am looking for someone i can hire that i can learn from and get the job done at the same time). i also don't see what makes what i just described a "circus." i am a small business owner, asking for advice of other business owners that have more experience than i do.

Why is it any of
Dans damn business how you do your Business .Why does it bother him?Well Dan why does it?I think Dan is full of himself!!!

Why is it any of
Dans damn business how you do your Business .Why does it bother him?Well Dan why does it?I think Dan is full of himself!!!
agreed, and thank you, that is what i was thinking also. i believe Dans signature pretty much says that he is vey full of himself

No offense but unless your a complete and total moron and the "climber" from NES as well you can collectively inspect the gear to insure it is good working order , I worked for a company where it was common practice to have company owned gear shared often by a few "competent" individuals .... and frankly all these guys who say I only work with my gear and never use someone elses or loan my to anyone are kinda goofy too , it would seem that at least in my opinion and experience damaged gear is EASILY IDENTIFIABLE

Climbing gear does not a Climber make! But the fact that he does not have any tells me he is fly by night gypsy.But that dont mean he can not be trained to be a really good one!

or a drunk that sold his saddle for beer money. I hear ya the gear def dont make the climber but i dont know any 'climbers' that dont have the basics. There's a guy who rides around 2 towns over on a bike with a book bag of gear.

EEYUP! The Dan IS full of himself! HE IS. Therefore He am. He am,He does, He is... yer not!

Maybe it comes from the fact that he knew what he was doing BEFORE he hung out his shingle and don't ask silly questions.

Questions:
How do you hire a climber ?

The Dan's answer:

Know yer meat before you eat it so you don't end up with yer #### in yer hand tryin to beat it.

The Dan, circa: right now

EEYUP! The Dan IS full of himself! HE IS. Therefore He am. He am,He does, He is... yer not!

Maybe it comes from the fact that he knew what he was doing BEFORE he hung out his shingle and don't ask silly questions.

Questions:
How do you hire a climber ?

The Dan's answer:

Know yer meat before you eat it so you don't end up with yer #### in yer hand tryin to beat it.

The Dan, circa: right now
So meat eater! You knew everything from the day you took your first steps and never had to ask anything right?What a prodigy!I still think you are FOS!Does it help inflate your ego to put people down that were not acting like Jackwaggons to begin with?Do you feel threatened by him?Whats the problem he asked a simple question and does not need to be read the riot act?Go make a video and post it and bragg about your self some more!

So meat eater! You knew everything from the day you took your first steps and never had to ask anything right?What a prodigy!I still think you are FOS!Does it help inflate your ego to put people down that were not acting like Jackwaggons to begin with?Do you feel threatened by him?Whats the problem he asked a simple question and does not need to be read the riot act?Go make a video and post it and bragg about your self some more!

You is one of them aintcha?:msp_scared:

Listen, what you just said in response to what I said sounds like something that somebody who didn't really read what I said. No ####. It don't. Does anyone think so too? Lets compare what I said to what LW said and see, then ,if you want, you guys can go back to , uh, well, whatever it was you were talking about but please do try to follow what I said if you are going to respond. Dam! WTF is with you stewnuts?

Last edited:
Yeah, another dimension to this topic could be: WHAT TO CHARGE A EMPLOYER WHO DON'T KNOW AS MUCH AS ME

See, if you are going to hire a guy who knows more than you then that guy just became the boss. Try that on. Don't fit well does it? Not for me either.

Dude, you come on with some BS like that about whether or not you should hire that guy who has to use yuor saddle? You say " I own a tree service but some stuff is best left to the experts?" Well, first from where I stand, well, yer a puss. But don't let that bother you. Secondly, if I were in yer shoes I would feel blessed with anyone that would climb up there and cut it. If it was me doing the climbing,no, you couldn't afford it, neither could I. I gave up babysitting boys like you, it was making my stomach sour. Now climb yer ass up there and cut it boy!

Yeah, another dimension to this topic could be: WHAT TO CHARGE A EMPLOYER WHO DON'T KNOW AS MUCH AS ME

See, if you are going to hire a guy who knows more than you then that guy just became the boss. Try that on. Don't fit well does it? Not for me either.

Dude, you come on with some BS like that about whether or not you should hire that guy who has to use yuor saddle? You say " I own a tree service but some stuff is best left to the experts?" Well, first from where I stand, well, yer a puss. But don't let that bother you. Secondly, if I were in yer shoes I would feel blessed with anyone that would climb up there and cut it. If it was me doing the climbing,no, you couldn't afford it, neither could I. I gave up babysitting boys like you, it was making my stomach sour. Now climb yer ass up there and cut it boy!

Why even comment? He asked a question this is a forum about gainning knowledge looks like he come to the right place to get answer aside from some people who know everything and constantly bad mouths any one who wants to get into the tree trimming business.

There is not a job out there that the average person can't do if they want to and your job counts as one of them, just as mine and everyone starts some where.

Latest posts

Back