best wat to hire a climber?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last climber I hired came in on the day we were removing a 90ft white pine. He brought in his climbing gear and a 192t. So far, so good. I sent him up this leaner with a rotten base on that windy day with my 200t and let him have at it. Topped 'er out ok. He was a little slow on blocking down the trunk with the 372xp so I took over on that part. And year or so later and he's the climber in all my tree removal videos. Still has (had) a few quirks but he's learning. I had some climbing jobs scheduled this Spring with him in mind but he had "complications" so never showed up. The climber before that cut my bull rope topping out a big pine on his first job. Top came crashing down. No damage done. Lucky on that one. Suggest you run a drug test if you have any doubts. The climber before Smokie was excellent. Had to get him out on work release, though. Once he finished his sentence, he was off and running. Undependable, no permanent phone or address. Now I do all the climbing. And I pay myself excellent wages.

Some things to put on your check list: Does the applicant own climbing gear. Does he own climbing saw, say a 200t. If so, hire him on the spot. Does he have a permanent address other than his mother's. Does he have a driver's license, prolly gonna drive yer trucks. Can you reach him by phone. Did he show up for interview with old truck, can't get out of driver's side door, gets out of passenger side, beer cans fall out on driveway..... Does he talk too much and too fast. Common sense, bro'. Good luck with your interviews.

Back