Best way to make point on splitter wedge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swyman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I built an awesome splitter last winter that is Bobcat mounted. I used a 1" plate and is 18" tall. I have a good friend who is a machinist and he made the cutting edge for me. He used a 3" DIA round stock and milled it to a point. That is a lot of milling to shave a 3" piece to 1", anyway I then welded it to the main piece and works good. I want to add a 4 of 6 way to it and don't want to bother him to make more cuts. I am not a machinist but have a mill and am pretty handy with it but cannot figure out a good way to make the cutting edge. I should be able to cut an edge on whatever stock I plan to use instead of doing it like he did with a piece of round stock. I cannot figure out how to clamp it on the correct angle securely to the table. I could always use the torch or plasma then grind but would rather have the finish of the mill. How do you folks do it?

I just went hog wild with a torch. Didn't even bother to use a grinder. Took some 1" thick stock, torched some 'wedge angles', welded together for a 6way. . Just a wood splitter. 6" bore pushes anything through it.

I built an awesome splitter last winter that is Bobcat mounted. I used a 1" plate and is 18" tall. I have a good friend who is a machinist and he made the cutting edge for me. He used a 3" DIA round stock and milled it to a point. That is a lot of milling to shave a 3" piece to 1", anyway I then welded it to the main piece and works good. I want to add a 4 of 6 way to it and don't want to bother him to make more cuts. I am not a machinist but have a mill and am pretty handy with it but cannot figure out a good way to make the cutting edge. I should be able to cut an edge on whatever stock I plan to use instead of doing it like he did with a piece of round stock. I cannot figure out how to clamp it on the correct angle securely to the table. I could always use the torch or plasma then grind but would rather have the finish of the mill. How do you folks do it?

Can you tilt the head on your mill? That would be the easiest way. On a 4 way wedge, I suggest grinding the angle on one side, and leaving the bottom flat. This will keep the wedge from forcing the wood down against the beam and generally making life difficult.

swyman, you could place your steel at the angle you want and set it ontop of a couple pieces of steel flatbar and tac weld them together, then clamp down the flat bar when you are done just cut the flat bars off grind it up alittle and you are good to go.

I took boiler plate of various widths and laminated them together, stepping down as I moved away from the center. I think the center was 1.5", welded in the center of the 1.5" stock and then a 1" strip on either side, followed by .5 on the outside. All are welded to the 1.5" plate and the gap at the base is totally filled. The cutting edge is filled as well and make a decent point.

Another Possible idea.

I called the my local steel vendor and asked for some ideas. He said that the easiest way is to use replaceable bucket wear edge. this comes in various sizes but the one i will be using is a 1/2 x 6. It comes with a tapper already on this. Its probally not the perfect angle but when you put 2 of these together its a good start. Then just weld the center edge of the wedge and finish off with grinding to the finish you want.

I just went hog wild with a torch. Didn't even bother to use a grinder. Took some 1" thick stock, torched some 'wedge angles', welded together for a 6way. . Just a wood splitter. 6" bore pushes anything through it.

I bet your angles weren't to bad either. I blew my buddy's mind as he watched me free hand the angles for a 4-way I made this summer. He couldn't believe how good the angles were.

I ended up welding supports then clamping it on the mill table. Worked extremely well, came out perfect. Learn something new everyday. Thanks for all the replies. Finally have splitter complete and painted. I'll get some pics and post'em

attachment.php

I use a Kurt Anglock vise with extended jaws mounted in the backside holes. That way you can mill angles as long as 14".

Latest posts

Back