Best way to season firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pungo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,

I’m sure it’s been discussed, but what’s the best way to naturally season firewood? Do you leave it in piles off the conveyor? Do you stack it on pallets? Talking about commercial amounts like 50-100 cords.

You will get the best quality if you split it green then stack it out in the open or in a shed. Never let it sit on the ground or in shaded areas. Keep your stacks spread apart where you will get good air flow in between the stacks. I never stack more then 2 rows back to back because it reduces air flow between the stacks. It does take up a lot more room but you will get the best results by keeping it in full sun with good air flow.
00V0V_9jgNVmxYcPd_600x450.jpg

Hello all,

I’m sure it’s been discussed, but what’s the best way to naturally season firewood? Do you leave it in piles off the conveyor? Do you stack it on pallets? Talking about commercial amounts like 50-100 cords.
There isn't really an efficient way to season that kind of volume well. Unless you're in a very dry climate, wood at the bottom and middle of a big pile will basically never dry out. Encourage your customers to buy their wood early so they can stack it and let it season.

You will get the best quality if you split it green then stack it out in the open or in a shed. Never let it sit on the ground or in shaded areas. Keep your stacks spread apart where you will get good air flow in between the stacks. I never stack more then 2 rows back to back because it reduces air flow between the stacks. It does take up a lot more room but you will get the best results by keeping it in full sun with good air flow.
View attachment 937560
what happens if you let it sit on the ground in a shaded area ?

View attachment 937560
The problem with this is that people aren't willing to pay more for the better quality of wood that you're producing by going through these extra steps. At least that's how it is where I used to sell firewood. My wood got processed onto a conveyor and then onto a pile, where it sat till the customer bought it. There's no way I could have justified the time required to stack wood to dry.

The problem with this is that people aren't willing to pay more for the better quality of wood that you're producing by going through these extra steps. At least that's how it is where I used to sell firewood. My wood got processed onto a conveyor and then onto a pile, where it sat till the customer bought it. There's no way I could have justified the time required to stack wood to dry.
For just plane ol firewood and depending on the climate you are correct. But I get complements on the quality of my firewood and have a lot of regular customers that tell me how good the quality of my wood is. Where I live it's cooking wood that is king and not plan ol firewood. Even though my prices are higher then everyone else in my area, I have people that will only buy from me. Every customer mentions the quality almost every visit. Some of them tell me they have tried other dealers and always regret it. At least this is the reports I'm getting from them.
It's what separates the pros from the lazy armatures.

It's what separates the pros from the lazy armatures.
🤔 Don't know about that. Very few professional firewood operations stack wood to dry. I don't think that's because they're all amateurs. It's because the time involved doesn't justify what little extra money they might get. How long does it take you to stack a cord of wood and how much more do you charge for it than what others are getting?

🤔 Don't know about that. Very few professional firewood operations stack wood to dry. I don't think that's because they're all amateurs. It's because the time involved doesn't justify what little extra money they might get. How long does it take you to stack a cord of wood and how much more do you charge for it than what others are getting?
Don't focus on the pro vs lazy and focus on firewood vs cooking wood.

Kingston WI?
With all the ash coming down prices are going to be depressed.
Dry ground and a slope beats wet low ground.
A concrete slab from an old commercial building would be a good place.
Yes most commercial pile on the ground.
Some other ideas. Hack-away sells into Chicago and Milwaukee really has an A1 game.
https://www.hack-away.com/firewood_services.htmlhttps://madison.craigslist.org/grd/d/lannon-firewood/7388868144.htmlhttps://madison.craigslist.org/for/d/brooklyn-firewood-hardwood/7399351842.html

I used to cut and split my wood green in the spring stack it on pallets and cover the top of the ranks with a forming fabric that was water resistant.
I know others who would stack their wood on the ground bark side down to the ground and cover the ranks with pieces of siding.

I used to cut and split my wood green in the spring stack it on pallets and cover the top of the ranks with a forming fabric that was water resistant.
I know others who would stack their wood on the ground bark side down to the ground and cover the ranks with pieces of siding.
Yes any ground contact will result in loosing the bottom layer. Your basically sacrificing the bottom layer like it was a pallet, but with a pallet you get some air flow under the bottom. I use t post 4 feet apart with treated 4x4's and crisscross two layers of 4x4's. Down here the fire ants are real bad so if you don't get the stack up off the ground the ants take over the stack bringing dirt that causes rot. I don't cover my stacks until they dry for a few months and I have found a sheet of tin to cover just the top works best. It dry's faster after a rain and it gets hot in the sun and radiates the heat into the top of the stack.
This last few years I have started switching over to those ICB tote baskets. They hold a half cord if you stack it a little over the top. I can set a basket rite next to the splitter and stack the strait into the basket as I go. When it's full I just replace it with another basket and that saves me a lot of handling time. The baskets seem to be working real good so far. They are all 100% galvanized metal so no rust or rot and they can be stacked.

Back