Best way to skid logs (without a winch)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We used to have a winch on the back of a old dexter tractor. About the same size as a 8n but diesel. The lift arms where removed and a subframe mounted under the axle. the winch ran off the pto. Below the winch was a large pipe that acted like a bumper when the tractor would raise up. The bumper would hit the ground and keep the tractor from flipping over backwards. The bumper was also used to back up to a tree to keep the tractor from being pulled backwards while winching. We where skidding big whitepines off the side of the mountain where my house is now. Trees where 100-150ft tall and butts where close to 4 ft dia. Now the problem with winching trees this long and big with a little tractor was the tractor wouldnt winch the tree forward, the tree pulled the tractor backwards. We would run out the cable, about 200ft at a time and find a tree to back up against and winch the tree up and then do it again until we got to the landing. There was a small jack pine next to the log landing and was the last scotch tree we hard to back up against. One of the trees had the tip dig into the ground where it had to be winched across a creek. Well that old winch only had one way of working. You engaged the lever and the dogs engaged the winch drum and if you wanted to stop winching, you had to kick the lever back out. With a hard load, it was very hard to kick out. This particular tree dug into the creek bank and locked the winch lever so hard it couldnt come out of gear and started bowing our scotch tree over. It winched the tractor up the tree and when it got so far the tree straighten back up and flipped the tractor on its top. Tractor hit the ground and was still running, all the while winching the tractor back toward the tree. Had to reach under the tractor and pull the fuel cable to kill the engine. That tree won that round, but the lumber it provided is nailed up in my house.

Do you know where or what point on the tractor the 2 guys were pulling from?If the pull point is below the lateral center line of the rear axel it is near impossible to even raise the front axel off the ground let alone pull the tractor over backwards.In my years of skiding logs I've lifted the front end exactly once and I hooked chain to tractor above the axel.A cousin of a good friend of mine used to help his cousin do logging.This guy used an 8N or 9Ns to skid.When he hooked on and started to pull the front end lifted and was carried until he got to the landing.Steering was with the brakes.He joked that he'd worn out a half a dozen of thoes littleFords skiding logs.Accidents will happen but the operator has to be alert and smart.
Sorry i do not now where it was attached to the tractor. All i know is they were both found with the tractor on top of them.

Sorry no hogwash. Know/ knew 2 guys killed when their tractor flipped back over and crushed them. Both were experienced operators. Sh!t happens. The higher you raise a log off the ground you change the center of gravity of the tractor. No use in getting killed over firewood.
I had it happen to me:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/what-not-to-do.229147/#post-4162021
We lost the pictures in the great server crash but I posted them on another site also:
https://www.mytractorforum.com/76-c...mpact-tractors/269031-had-accident-today.html

Latest posts

Back