Best wood to burn?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

460Ted

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. I have a wood burning stove in my house that I made 5 years ago (I'm also a welder). Anyhow, I mostly burn red oak and that seems to do well. However, I don't know that much about the different properties of wood and wondered what you guys burn and why? Also, does different wood take different lengths of time to season? Do some types of wood last longer before rotting while stacked and covered? What wood gives the best coals? Thanks for the help!

Ted

I'm no expert, but here's what Ive been told through the years. Oak is the best. Most hardwoods are good. Pine makes alot of creasol so you should avoid it. Birch doesn't give off enough heat. Ash is the best wood to burn if you have to burn it green. And your supposed to let it sit cut and split a year under cover to fully dry. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm always interested in learning more.

rutland

Ted, at www.rutland.com you will find a listing for alot of woods and how much btu's they produce, etc. that way you can compare the woods in your area.
Boiler

Thanks boiler. Does pine always give off a lot of creosote, even when it's really seasoned?

460Ted said:
Thanks boiler. Does pine always give off a lot of creosote, even when it's really seasoned?

Yes it does. Oak or Hickory are probably the best "coaling" woods. Oak ought to be seasoned at least 6 months, probably longer since you live in the humid southeast.

Of course the wood I have the best luck with is the dry wood followed by the free wood.

In my part of the country Osage-Orange is the top heat producer, also known as Hedge Apple. It's super dense , over 5,000 lbs. per green Cord !

Oak , Ash , Locust and Hard Maple are my favorites but I will burn any wood that's free, you just have to watch that creosote.

Jeff

Ben is the maple different where you are than in Missouri?
By the time the maple dries out here,it seems like balsa wood.

I only have paperbark birch on my farm and it never seems to get much bigger than a bush so I don't know how it burns.

I like any kind of oak best then hickory.
I like to cut ash but it doesn't hold fire as well as oak or hickory
Dan

460Ted said:

that's what i've always heard. also, we don't cover our wood around here. we just take it in the garage in wheelbarrows before we use it to let it dry...

danl said:
By the time the maple dries out here,it seems like balsa wood.
Dan
Dan, you may be refering to Red Maple or Silver Maple, which is quite a bit softer then Sugar Maple. The soft maples also have more MC and therefore may take longer to dry.
John

Black cherry burns nicely but is about 20% less BTU's than any of the others you mentioned. Cherry is pretty comparable to the soft maples,ash or birch in terms of heat output.

Gypo Logger said:
Dan, you may be refering to Red Maple or Silver Maple, which is quite a bit softer then Sugar Maple. The soft maples also have more MC and therefore may take longer to dry.
John

John I'm not sure if we have any sugar maple around here. I need to study up on my maples. I know I cut up a silver maple one time and it was all but worthless. Very little heat and a lot of ashes.
I have a bunch of maple on my place, but now I realize I don't know what variety.
Thanks Dan

460Ted:
If you burn your stove hot enough regularly, creosote from any wood is not an issue. (Caveat; flue length can be too long to make this accurate).
I've burned Lodgepole (aka Black or Jack) Pine for years and I don't ever have to clean my flue. This is if your wood is dry and you burn your stove hot enough periodically. I've gone up with a brush and cleaned my flue every couple years out of guilt, but still no creosote build-up.
Also of concern is the amount of ash that builds up. A wood like Juniper is not only messy before it makes it into the stove, but you get to clean your stove more often.
Cedar and Juniper smell nice, and that is of minor importance, but a thought. (Cedar - not much heat).
A pioneer using a wood cook stove would use pine to get the heat up quickly and then go with oak for oven needs.
Don't split all your wood, rounds last better overnight for keeping a fire. That is true on most airflow settings.
Your kindling can be a pitch soaked pine or a very dry cedar and your main wood fuel a hardwood.
Very dry wood: less pollution, more heat, easier to ignite.
Or you could just go watch a rotten log. The rotting of wood is very very similar to the burning of wood. Time is the primary difference.

I dont know about the others, but i'd freeze to death while hovering over the rotten log.

I like burning madrone best as it coals up well and leaves little ash. It is a bear to split though as the grain is twisted. My second choice is maple as it cuts and splits quickly in addition to burning well. A close third would be oak. Always nice to have some fir around to start the fires.

You get alot of oak down there lucky? I'd kill for oak up here. Heck, I'd kill for any hardwood! Once in a while, you'll get some big leaf maple and madrona, alder is also available. But here fir and cedar are king. I start fires with cedar and bank with fir.

Oh to burn oak...

Jeff

Back