Better Show than Ax-Men / Hist. Chan.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M.D. Vaden

vadenphotography.com
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure what the name of the show I'm watching right now is, but it's only about 1 hour long, and just happened to follow Ax-Men.

This other show has been aired before.

It shows a lot of modern forestry, mill technology and logging. Including a harvester that grabs entire trees, rotates them in an arm, delimbs with rollers, and cuts with what's probably a hydralic power chainsaw. I noticed that the operator was a lot porkier than loggers doing mostly manual work. One reason I don't like doing exclusively machine operation.

Anyway, with all the technology covered, as well as input from a lot of university educated professionals, I found this short show to be more interesting - although shorter.

Seems to cover many more aspects in much less time. Less drama, more information.

It shows the beginning of band saw use, historical log transportation like Flumes, and locamotives. So it's got old and new included.

Last edited:
I liked the logging and saws shows better than ax-men too.
The ax-men show looks more like 'created drama' and is trying to be like 'deadliest catch' but doesn't come close to the original shows. Looks to me like having cameras on a logging site would encourage [some] people to show of, therefore getting hurt doing stupid things.

"Logging" & "Saws" are much better produced shows!

I liked the logging and saws shows better than ax-men too.
The ax-men show looks more like 'created drama' and is trying to be like 'deadliest catch' but doesn't come close to the original shows. Looks to me like having cameras on a logging site would encourage [some] people to show of, therefore getting hurt doing stupid things.

"Logging" & "Saws" are much better produced shows!

Same here. That the incidents shown have happened to someone, somewhere, at some time is undoubtedly true. but that they happen conveniently just when a camera crew is on scene...

It is a show. Shows are scripted in advance. These 'reality' shows probably aren't scripted down to every detail but the overall plan is there. "okay, we'll open with a general set-up of a carriage problem and then John will discover that the fuel cap was off..."

Harry K

Ax Men is still better than watching lets say American Idol or something like that (anyday)!

Watching paint dry is better than 90% of what is on boob toob.

Tried the Alaska series tonight - just another Ice Road Truckers, Ax-men. Same format, same fairly boring narration. Grabbed the intro to the oil drilling and the future weapons. Future Weapons was a bit more interesting - didn't stick with either of them.

Harry K

I like ax-men yep the narration gets on my nerves they make it sound to dramatic and more dangerous than it is but its good watching some different ways of yarding I've manly worked in swing yarder crews i really like watching
Stump Branch Logging that Jammer logging looks like fun.

I was just talking to my buddy about this yesterday. We like the show but are sick of the BS drama that goes on. He's not even in this industry but wishes it would show more of the technical aspects of logging than the "personality" crap of the loggers. I agreed whole heartedly.

I was just talking to my buddy about this yesterday. We like the show but are sick of the BS drama that goes on. He's not even in this industry but wishes it would show more of the technical aspects of logging than the "personality" crap of the loggers. I agreed whole heartedly.

Same here. They are missing a good chance to really get into the technicals. Show, with explanation, falling techniques. Show some close ups of some of the equipment, example: just how the cables hook up around a log - I saw the 'bell and ??' equipment back when I was a kid but don't recall just how it hooks up/unhooks so fast.

Harry K

Somebody somewhere asked a question about a helmet today, and it occured to me that after watching Ax-Men, I don't remember whether or not, or how often, the crews used helmets, hearing protection or eye protection.

Anyone payed close attention to that?

First post

Ok, new member here.
I have to say My Dad and I watch axe men but every episode we are grinding our teeth. What has logging come to?
I mean rope instead of strawline and they didn't even have a knockout shackle for the skyline. A sleeve but a threaded pin with a nut on it, argghh.
Not to mention it made my behind hurt to seem them climb and rig a tail tree.
That one side, can't remember names, anyway that foreman keeps bad talking his hooktender but does he head down in the brush to straighten things out? Noooooooo
The three foot high stumps and long root wads peeve me to.
Maybe I'm to picky but it seems like there is a lack of experienced good men down there.

Didn't have to wait for you folks to answer my question about eyewear.

Amazing...

I just happened to change channels to Ax Men tonight, while they were dropping trees with chainsaws. Absolutely no eye protection.

If there would be one time I'd never want to risk runny eyes from a wood chip, would be just as I'm needing to clear the danger zone around a tree ready to fall.

Maybe the one crew made up for it a bit, by installing the thick piece of safety glass on the roof of the machine that had a limb bust it's top transparent panel.

But then it switched over to the other crew, with the men felling sawing one-handed - one hand on the big chainsaw, the other on the trunk. I'm not against one handing for small climbing saws, but I don't one-hand bigger saws when dropping a tree. Mainly because of concern to loose balance and send the saw out of control if I fall forward, which would mean the saw possibly revving and coming back at me.

Last edited:
Ever wonder if these guy's insurance companies are watching, either looking for stuff, or casually watching and getting surprises at what they are insuring?

It would be interesting to know if parts of their work are un-insurable, or if the logging companies bear whatever the cost is.

Ever wonder if these guy's insurance companies are watching, either looking for stuff, or casually watching and getting surprises at what they are insuring?

It would be interesting to know if parts of their work are un-insurable, or if the logging companies bear whatever the cost is.

The employer pays, and pays through the nose. That is why going mechanized is popular. The payments on the processer or feller buncher often pencil out to be better than bodies and workman's comp. That is why safety is stressed and unsafe people are canned, accidents make rates go up even higher and safety inspectors swarm into an area when there is a fatality--fines get issued. Not good.

The employer pays, and pays through the nose. That is why going mechanized is popular. The payments on the processer or feller buncher often pencil out to be better than bodies and workman's comp. That is why safety is stressed and unsafe people are canned, accidents make rates go up even higher and safety inspectors swarm into an area when there is a fatality--fines get issued. Not good.

So if that's for certain, it seems that an insurance company's inspector who was very good at sneaking in and observing, might be worth a good paycheck themselves.

So if that's for certain, it seems that an insurance company's inspector who was very good at sneaking in and observing, might be worth a good paycheck themselves.

Not a good idea to be sneaking around on a logging job. It is best to be visible, otherwise you could get a tree dropped on you, or get messed up by the lines, etc. Not intentionally either. Most things can be seen simply by showing up, finding out what is going on, where the lines are, where falling operations are, and where you can SAFELY venture about.

Latest posts

Back