Bias truck tires

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL ‼
For some reason, the way this thread has turned, and now those pictures... this keeps rollin' through my head.
I'm thinkin' a bottle tonight, and some George Thorogood on the turntable... played real friggin' loud‼
LOL ‼

I was a rebel from the day I left school
Grew my hair long and broke all the rules
I'd sit and listen to my records all day
With big ambitions of where I could play

My parents taught me what life was about
So I grew up the type they warned me about
They said my friends were just an unruly mob
And I should get a haircut and get a real job

Get a haircut and get a real job
Clean your act up and don't be a slob
Get it together like your big brother bob
Why don't you get a haircut and get a real job

I even tried that 9 to 5 scene
I told myself that it was all a bad dream
I found a band and some good songs to play
And now I party all night, I sleep all day

I met this chick she was my No.1 fan
She took me home to meet her mommy and dad
They took one look at me and said ("oh my god")
Get a haircut and get a real job

Get a real job, why don't you get a real job
Get a real job, why don't you get a real job

I hit the big time with my rock 'n' roll band
The future's brighter now than I'd ever planned
I'm ten times richer than my big brother bob
And he, he's got a haircut he's got a real job

Why don't you get a haircut and get a real job

I even tried that 9 to 5 scene

Excellent 70's flashbacks!
I'm thinkin' of the pull-tab curtain we had in my buddy's hangout space in his parent's attic. That and the 'walls' made from empty Schlitz cans made for an oh-so-romantic getaway from the rest of the gang.
Or flyin' down the NYS thruway in my '72 El Camino with "Bad to the Bone" blastin' from the 8-track. Switched to radials for that puppy!! I'm still here.
Thanx for the wayback trip Spidey.

Theres a reason why Bias Ply tires have gone to the wayside, along with leisure suits. Neither really worked well. I ran them in the past, don't every care to again.
Bias Ply are getting as hard to find as eight tracks.

Bias schmias. 4 dang near shot radials just drug my 9700# tractor off the road, where it died (hoping fuel filters iced up, but unsure yet), to an out of the way spot in the yard where I can work on it. There was wheelspin, but you get a helper that's fast and free when you need one, or wait for a good operator to show up while your tractor gets smashed into by the next idiot coming over the hill too fast.

Why wasn't I just plowing with the truck? That's a whole different kettle of fish. Suffice it to say it's getting some repairs sooner than I'd planned now. Going from 2 snow movers to none ticks a guy off, even if it's temporary.

kLHqJabVQLpqcvFGr_Sqim9T7osILmiEJf7A-m7Iuc4Nf3Q1OZvOj5-ScGPc3aLlbA=w1060-h457

I'll join the team that say bias ply is better in hard offroad - assuming you have the right tyre for purpose.

I ran Simex Extreme Trekker : Centipedes on my old Nissan Patrol for about 10 years..... in a 35 x 10.5 x 16 size.

Let them down to about 12 psi (no tubes or beadlocks) and nothing has stopped them.

Heres one pic of climbing a black soil hill in the rain (it came through fast while cutting wood at the bottom) with probably nearly a metric ton of wood behind.

IMG_5808-1024x682.jpg

And a pic of the tread pattern

Centipede.jpg

So far every single anecdotal story in this thread in support of bias plys (that I've read) I 've nodded my head and said to myself "Yep, uh huh, I've walked right through stuff like that with my radials and didn't wish for more."

Like everyone else I used to run bias tires and I don't miss them one bit.

Mr. HE:cool:

Stupid expensive, yes. But they still pay for themselves by getting more work done with less fuel - Spidey, that's done because the tractor slips LESS, and more of it's power is used to actually do it's job. Man, that argument sounds vaguely familiar.

I might also mention that the US military, which spends a fair amount of time off road, ditched bias tires back in the 90s.

Spidey, did you notice them Miller Lite cans come with a new paint job now? Straight outta back in the day, look just like they did back when **** Butkus and Bubba Smith were arguing about Tastes Great - Less Filling. Yet another argument that no one ever won.

As far as I'm concerned, if the military isn't using Bias Ply tire design anymore on off-road trucks, nothing more needs to be said about what is more effective/efficient...period.

Bias ply tires are less expensive to produce....if you want to go cheap, go cheap.
I have been exposed to the tire business for 40 years. My folks are tire dealers. I watched and lived the transition from the Alpha numeric to the p-metric tire size standard (bias to radial), 70's and 80's. The bias tires back in that era were junk compared to the new radials. If someone came into the shop without much money, they bought bias tires....the most popular size was A78-13.

I'm not sure about the off-road bias tires but my guess would be that if you have the funds, a radial solution is going to be a better all around choice.

Does someone want to start a discussion about tube type bias tire vs. tubeless? That transition happened first.

"Yep, uh huh, I've walked right through stuff like that with my radials and didn't wish for more."

"Walked" right through?? No running start?? No wheel spin?? No tire slip?? No rooster tails of mud??
If you answered yes... this time it's my turn to call the bull.

As far as I'm concerned, if the military isn't using Bias Ply tire design anymore on off-road trucks, nothing more needs to be said about what is more effective/efficient...period.

LOL Effective?? Efficient?? LOL
Well, that ain't sayin' much, the military also changed from the .30-06 to the 5.56×45, and from the .45 ACP to the 9×19... then did an about-face and put special forces back into the .30 and .45. The army, navy, marines... even divisions and departments within those can't even agree on a shovel or knife. Heck, they even pay $100.oo for a hammer to drive a nail because administrative and accounting foul-ups... LOL
By-the-way, the military is still using bias ply tires on "special purpose" off-road vehicles... and most of the radials they use would make your "civilian" truck drive like crap...
...70's and 80's. The bias tires back in that era were junk compared to the new radials...

Comparing your Grand-pappy's tires to... ahhhhhh..... never-mind....

I'll join the team that say bias ply is better in hard offroad - assuming you have the right tyre for purpose.

I ran Simex Extreme Trekker : Centipedes on my old Nissan Patrol for about 10 years..... in a 35 x 10.5 x 16 size.

Let them down to about 12 psi (no tubes or beadlocks) and nothing has stopped them.

Heres one pic of climbing a black soil hill in the rain (it came through fast while cutting wood at the bottom) with probably nearly a metric ton of wood behind.

And a pic of the tread pattern

I like that tread pattern a lot. Looks the berries for being able to road drive without it being totally stupid, and then go offroad quite well.

Military intelligence. oxymoron. that being stated...
would you wanna be shouting expletives to a ground unit to see if they can climb a hill to "blow ya up?"

Guess what is run on a mercedes unimoog.... (one heck of a tire, btw) (one heck of a truck as well) :rock:

Those centipedes look like a nice mud tire tho. Like a interco super swamper.

http://www.failfunnies.com/pottie-training-fail/

this thread is bias vs. radial truck tires!
all of white spider's comments are all radial tires vs. the bias tires that he runs, not just bias truck tires in general.
i just call BS on most of this thread, as it seems to be more what you prefer...

I like tubes...for floating down the river on.
Its more fun to tube upriver behind a boat with at least a single 454!:laugh:
Come to think of it we put a radial tube in my thunder tube after we popped the regular one, I don't know for certain if the original was a bias tube or not!:ices_rofl:

Last edited:
Anyone here have any of those aftermarket tracks that bolt to trucks? Man, they look like they work good.

Not at 4 grand a corner.

I do wanna know what "special purpose" military vehicles are still wearing bias tires? Wheelbarrows? Hand trucks? The space shuttle?

Back