Big Bore Kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you run your 440 at (rpm)?

Kevin

that patricular saw cleans up out of 4 stroking about 14.7-8 it's stihl barely 4 stroking at 14.2-14.3 and that is where I run it,,,, in fact That is pretty much where I run all of my work saws,,, just inside of beginning to burble,,,,,, the plugs are usually dark brown and I have never (knock on wood) stuck a piston,,,,,,,

that patricular saw cleans up out of 4 stroking about 14.7-8 it's stihl barely 4 stroking at 14.2-14.3 and that is where I run it,,,, in fact That is pretty much where I run all of my work saws,,, just inside of beginning to burble,,,,,, the plugs are usually dark brown and I have never (knock on wood) stuck a piston,,,,,,,

Thanks. One day I might get me one of those 044BB kits and have it ported for my 044...why...just because I'll like bucking my firewood faster...:)

Kevin

Last edited:
This thread is timely since I am about to install one myself. All I am waiting on is a new bearing and gasket, so maybe next weekend. I am encouraged by those of you that are pleased with the Bailey's parts, and so far no complaints.
Here are some pics comparing the OEM and Bailey's parts. I will do a full thread on the whole install and running results later.

DSCN0327.jpg

DSCN0330.jpg

DSCN0332.jpg

The Stihl cylinder is made by Mahle and I think is Nikasil and the Big Bore is labeled in their ad as NiSi which I guess is the same thing. But for the money it will probably outlast me, as little as I will cut with it. I don't know what the piston is coated with as it does not say in the advertising, and if it was teflon I would expect them to say so.

Last edited:
The bigger issue is QC and resultant QA.... any one or 10 can be great, but with OEM you're pretty much guaranteed that they are ALL great.

Baileys imported pistons and cylinder have had their share of problems (but AS guys have such short memories ;) ) and sure.. they've improved them, but you guys have been the guinea pigs. Remember the first generation of 066 BB that didn't fit many saws, and performance that was mediorcre "unless ported" (lolol).. How about the pealing chrome?

I will continue to watch.... When I quit hearing or seeing problems (yep, I've has my share of fried chicom cylinders) for a decent period of time, maybe I'll stick my toe (one at a time) into the water.

Last edited:
Ok, heres a question. Many upgrade the 044/440 with a 046/460 P/C. So, if it isnt a 10mm wrist pin 044/440, why not get Bailey's 046BB kit and throw on an 044/440? More cubes.

'Cos it won't fit without screwing around...

and.. how much can that lower end take, and is the crankcase volume sufficent.. etc..

Last edited:
'Cos it won't fit without screwing around...

and.. how much can that lower end take, and is the crankcase voliume sufficent.. etc..

Im more concerned about crankcase volume than anything else. Reason being, If I did this, it would be a "toy" saw, not something I would cut with all day. What can be done to compensate on crankcase volume?

Im more concerned about crankcase volume than anything else. Reason being, If I did this, it would be a "toy" saw, not something I would cut with all day. What can be done to compensate on crankcase volume?

I can cut all day with mine no problems at all :D

lololo I thought you wanted real saw. O.K. knock yourself out.. What's to lose? ;)

If I wanted to rod a saw, I'd start with a 460 -a real nice beefy lower end... and better air-scoop and carb mount front end. You can with a bit of messing with the fiter box put a 460 tank on the 044...

lololo I thought you wanted real saw. O.K. knock yourself out.. What's to lose? ;)

If I wanted to rod a saw, I'd start with a 460 -a real nice beefy lower end... and better air-scoop and carb mount front end. You can with a bit of messing with the fiter box put a 460 tank on the 044...
Problem is, I have an 044. I dont have an 046. And, it is just an idea. I sure as hell aint doing it to the 044 I bought from Scubasawyer, its too nice and solid running saw. But Its fun to toss the idea around and get the feedback! :cheers:

Hmmmmm.... there was a guy on yesterday that has a 460 sans tank etc..:greenchainsaw:

Yeah I threw an offer, but he wants to make her purrrrr again. Thats cool. My 044 is sweet. I just need to save pennies and get a 460. Before that I need to find a reason for one. I GOT IT! I work hard, pay taxes, and I want one! I am saving beer, oops, I mean aluminum cans, wonder how long that will take?

Last edited:
The bigger issue is QC and resultant QA.... any one or 10 can be great, but with OEM you're pretty much guaranteed that they are ALL great.

Baileys imported pistons and cylinder have had their share of problems (but AS guys have such short memories ;) ) and sure.. they've improved them, but you guys have been the guinea pigs. Remember the first generation of 066 BB that didn't fit many saws, and performance that was mediorcre "unless ported" (lolol).. How about the pealing chrome?

I will continue to watch.... When I quit hearing or seeing problems (yep, I've has my share of fried chicom cylinders) for a decent period of time, maybe I'll stick my toe (one at a time) into the water.

Since I have never tried a baileys P/C kit I figured I would get some feedback from AS members. In the past I have only used stihl OEM P/C.

BUT, as inexpensive as the baileys kits are, it wouldnt hurt to try one.
Well that was my opinion last week before I called baileys.

Three weeks wait..... On backorder...

I HATE WAITING.. About a month including shipping time, soooo OEM it is.

anything can be done,,,,, if you put your mind to it,,,,,, going that big I can assure you that you will run into fitament issues,,,, especiallly piston skirt into crankcase among a few others,,,, you would be smart to install timeserts in the cylinder bolt holes because the 5mm fastener size,,,,, among a few others,,,,,,, :monkey:

Another question: on your 440, with the ported BB, are you using a stock carb?

Kevin

Latest posts

Back