Big Hickory blow down means pull out 090 & 056

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great pics of the cut and the hickory makes me want to get out the pig cooker and spend the day with some boston butts, brisket, and some chicken. Hopefully I'll get to cut some when the weather will cooperate here. Thanks for the pics!

Very nice pictures Carl.

That 090 sure is a great looker, and maybe a even better runner :drool:
056 looks nice too.

What kind of mill do you use?

And whats a PPE? :)

Great pics of the cut and the hickory makes me want to get out the pig cooker and spend the day with some boston butts, brisket, and some chicken. Hopefully I'll get to cut some when the weather will cooperate here. Thanks for the pics!

Invite me over for the cookout and I'll bring the hickory. :cheers:

Very nice pictures Carl.

That 090 sure is a great looker, and maybe a even better runner :drool:
056 looks nice too.

What kind of mill do you use?

And whats a PPE? :)

It's a Norwood lumber lite but I also have an Alaskan to bring the diameter of larger logs down to size for the mill.

PPE or is that PITA :greenchainsaw: I really need to get serious about my PPE .

Carl i'm like you I never knew what a chain brake was or PPE or ear plugs or none of that other stuff. I learned on old school saws that were loud and dangerous I guess. That's partly why I don't hear good now. When I saw all those guys running around with the orange britches on I thought Sears and Rareback done and had a closeout sale.

Carl i'm like you I never knew what a chain brake was or PPE or ear plugs or none of that other stuff. I learned on old school saws that were loud and dangerous I guess. That's partly why I don't hear good now. When I saw all those guys running around with the orange britches on I thought Sears and Rareback done and had a closeout sale.

I'm right there with you on the hearing part. But I guess I have to throw in too many helicopters, guns, deep dives etc etc. Add it all up and they tell me I'm deafer than I think. :mad:

Yeah those orange britches are a great idea but until I got on this site I'd never heard of them nor seen them. I guess that's why all of my jeans have four little holes in a straight line just above the left knee. Anybody else have that problem? :confused:

I have a pair of pants with 2 holes, one from a dog snagging, the other from a nice sharp chain(non running) Also had a dog stick in my arm :)

I'm right there with you on the hearing part. But I guess I have to throw in too many helicopters, guns, deep dives etc etc. Add it all up and they tell me I'm deafer than I think. :mad:

Yeah those orange britches are a great idea but until I got on this site I'd never heard of them nor seen them. I guess that's why all of my jeans have four little holes in a straight line just above the left knee. Anybody else have that problem? :confused:

I can`t say my jeans have any tears in them from chains and of course I don`t use my PPE as often as I should either. A young fellow that comes around the shop a lot and who I have built a couple of spare parts saws for him came to the door on Sunday evening to show me where he had cut his pants open on the left leg. The cut was about 6" long but he did not cut himself at all, very lucky to have missed flesh. Of course I got on him about using his chainsaw pants and he of course replied that I don`t always wear mine, guess I got to lead by example. Whats that constant ringing in my ears?
Almost forgot to say nice looking saws and I bet it was a good bit of fun cutting up a tree that size with those fine saws.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
I can`t say my jeans have any tears in them from chains and of course I don`t use my PPE as often as I should either. A young fellow that comes around the shop a lot and who I have built a couple of spare parts saws for him came to the door on Sunday evening to show me where he had cut his pants open on the left leg. The cut was about 6" long but he did not cut himself at all, very lucky to have missed flesh. Of course I got on him about using his chainsaw pants and he of course replied that I don`t always wear mine, guess I got to lead by example. Whats that constant ringing in my ears?
Almost forgot to say nice looking saws and I bet it was a good bit of fun cutting up a tree that size with those fine saws.
Pioneerguy600

That's the best statement I've heard on this subject. If my cutting buddies were putting on chaps all the time I'd remember to bring them and take the time to put them on and I'm sure the opposite is true. And once I get accustomed to putting them on every time then I'd be the one leading by example.

chaps sure are hot... :)

Just saying

Unfortunately all that PPE stuff is hot, the hardhat and muffs make my head sweat profusely and it gets under my safety glasses and burns my eyes, the full cutting pants sure offer a lot of protection but are hot as hadies, them big orange chainsaw boots make my feet sweat badly also, got to change my socks 3-4 times a day. All in all its more comfortable to cut without it but one slip and maybe I wont be able to cut any more.
Pioneerguy600

That is true Jerry. Only takes one mistake, to lose a limb (no pun intended :) ) PPE is cheap, especially when you dont have health insurance

Saws held high

Cutting with the saw held at or above shoulder level is not a good habit to get into, either, especially with those big saws.

OK, I'll ask the stupid question. Can someone explain to this howmeowner why it is dangerous to saw that high? I'll take your word for it but it's easier to remember if I know the "Why" of it.

Looks like fun Carl, I think im gonna cut some tommorrow........i havent cut since at your place last. Gotta try to get a jump on this winter.

Ryan...

You should have been out three weeks ago as I was clearing a space out back for a new pole barn. Coulda used the help. LOL (see the post lost my cherry (should have been lost my ash). :chainsaw:

Got so many logs backed up for milling I could spend a month just doing that but now I gotta stain the barn. Grrrrr Wanna come out some time next month and mill?

OK, I'll ask the stupid question. Can someone explain to this howmeowner why it is dangerous to saw that high? I'll take your word for it but it's easier to remember if I know the "Why" of it.

Not a stupid question at all.

From my point of view it is dangerous because:

1. Risk hearing damage when saw is close to your ears.
2. Heavy saw that high could drop after the cut down onto your legs causing the obvious problem.
3. If the chain should break and come back at you it would be very close to your face.
4. I'm sure others can add to this list....

Back