Big log ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowawoodguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Drove down to the wood pile at the campground today and found this.
20200625_143647.jpg20200625_143652.jpg20200625_143659.jpg
It's 30 or so inches wide and doesn't match the rest of the cottonwood. It's not much to go off of but does anyone have a guess? Thanks.

Thanks fellas. I guess I was being optimistic and hoping I had something good in front of me. Working on selling the cottonwood I cut up earlier this spring. Campers love it.

Heres another big mystery log. Has cracks up the side that are twisted and you can see in those rounds a ring that separates the inner log from the outer 3 or 4 inches of the tree.
20200626_112312.jpg20200626_112305.jpg

The first one the bark looks like cottonwood, but the growth rings are pretty tight. Second one, I won't make any guesses, but it is laying under a mulberry. Look at what else is growing in that grove to see what might be possible.

Heres another big mystery log. Has cracks up the side that are twisted and you can see in those rounds a ring that separates the inner log from the outer 3 or 4 inches of the tree.
View attachment 838685View attachment 838684
Going by the pinhole on the cut sides of this one and the color of the sides I am going to venture to say this is Ash but I could be wrong. Can you post a picture of the grain of a split piece please?

What does it smell like when you cut it?
I would tend to think it’s Siberian Elm. I initially thought maybe Slippery Elm but I don’t see the distinctive V slit the length of the trunk from what I can see in the photos.The Slippery Elm that I have been around is usually isn’t twisted but environmental growing conditions can affect that. Siberians like to twist. Looks to of been down awhile, Siberian seems to go pretty fast after they have been down though.

not Red Elm, they dont survive to get that big here any more, DED gets them by the time they get 8 to 10 inches, siberian elm and they get huge here, there are some right near me that 4 foot in diameter

Thanks. I'll be out cutting on that log today. I'll see if there are any other trees near it that could give an indication to what this one is.

Cut 3 more rounds. The only trees in this lot are mulberry, maple, and a few walnut. This tree was in a different area than it is now. The best I can describe the smell is bold and sweet. Is there a chance that this could be an oak (red)?
20200629_101137.jpg
Heres a chunk of bark that I pulled out from underneath. Bugs have gotten to it so not sure if it'll help.20200629_102303.jpg

Back