Bio bar oil...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballisticdoughnut

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a very nice low hour Dolmar 7900. The previous owner ran some kind of bio bar oil in it and it's been a bit of a pain to clean off the saw. Smells a lot like linseed oil which I thought was kinda odd. Anyway petroleum based solvents don't seem to do much, thinking I may need to use something citrus based maybe? Anyone have any experience with this?

take a blob and see if it melts using the heat gun, if it melts give it the boiling water treatment until its clean. i prefer purple power or dawn as a base vs a citric acid cleaner...usually diesel is the go to

take a blob and see if it melts using the heat gun, if it melts give it the boiling water treatment until its clean. i prefer purple power or dawn as a base vs a citric acid cleaner...usually diesel is the go to
I did a little google searching and discovered acetone and turpentine are used for removing linseed oil from wood, brushes, etc. I going to experiment with that, hot water and heat gun. You mentioned diesel fuel, I'm wondering if kerosene would be worth trying.

diesel works excellent on the standard bar oil, 2 stroke oil mixed with saw dust, sand etc, i kinda doubt it will dissolve solidified plant fat tho without scrubbing. acetone might be worth trying as the final rinse out and dryer.

If it was linseed oil he used, that sets up like epoxy eventually. I'd want it ALL out ASAP. I'd use Gojo or something with jojoba oil in it. Orange oil might work too.

One thing I've found good for removing linseed oil from paint brushes is Murphy's Oil Soap, FWIW...

I used some Stihl bio-oil in my 066 and didn't know it set up and solidified. Froze up the chain on the bar so bad it was hard to pry off with a screw driver, and the stuff under the bar cover took off the paint with it. The chain is still so stiff it's unuseable, this is after soaking in various solvents for weeks. It did sit for months before I found this out.

I tried various solvents: gasoline, diesel, alcohol, acetone, engine cleaner,.......nothing worked. I didn't try halogenated solvents like tetrachloroethane or dichloromethane.

The oil did work well fresh, I used it for milling so I could use the sawdust for mulch. If I used it again, I'd run the oiler almost dry, then flush the system with a tankful of dino-oil. Also clean the clutch area up and bar and chain. Bar and chain might be OK after just running a tankfull of regular oil.

I use straight canola oil when I'm going to be running the saw at least every few weeks. If I forget and let it set a couple of months it hardens and locks up the chain and sprocket. I just spray with whatever penetrating oil I've got handy and let it soak. It usually loosens up in a few minutes, but sometimes takes some force to start the chain moving. Might also have to remove the chain and work it around a bit, but the whole process only takes 5 min.

tried various solvents: gasoline, diesel, alcohol, acetone, engine cleaner,.......nothing worked. I didn't try halogenated solvents like tetrachloroethane or dichloromethane.
I think the key is that you want to saponify/emulsify the oil/varnish. Ordinarily I would use a strong base like NaOH but lye will attack aluminum. I think something already saponified/emulsified like Murphy's Oil Soap and/or waterless hand cleaner / Gojo / even grease like what comes in a tube would probably eventually break the sh!t loose. Some kind of fish oil might be another option...when you cut up a fresh tuna, they are as oily as greased pigs, but for some reason, all the grease rinses off your hands with just water (no soap needed)....I suspect there's something in the tuna that emulsifies/saponifies the fats...maybe the omega-3 fatty acids? When you cut up an actual pig or deer, you need loads of soap to get the fat off your hands and the knives, etc...this becomes a major PITA because the knives get so coated with fat that they won't cut meat worth a damn...it's like trying to cut up steaks with a candlestick...anyway, the point is, I would look at soaps more than solvents...if I did use a solvent, I would look at something non-polar, like xylene...

Had canola oil set up in a saw once, I believe I used laquer thinner on it. Canola actually makes for a fine bar oil, but you have to remember to flush it out if your saw is going to sit for any length of time.

I recently picked up a very nice low hour Dolmar 7900. The previous owner ran some kind of bio bar oil in it and it's been a bit of a pain to clean off the saw. Smells a lot like linseed oil which I thought was kinda odd. Anyway petroleum based solvents don't seem to do much, thinking I may need to use something citrus based maybe? Anyone have any experience with this?
I would try mineral spirits. It's the solvent used in a lot of tung oil wood treatments, as well as clean up for same. It's safe on plastic and painted surfaces, as well as bare metal.

I recently picked up a very nice low hour Dolmar 7900. The previous owner ran some kind of bio bar oil in it and it's been a bit of a pain to clean off the saw. Smells a lot like linseed oil which I thought was kinda odd. Anyway petroleum based solvents don't seem to do much, thinking I may need to use something citrus based maybe? Anyone have any experience with this? I have read that COTTONSEED OIL IS Popular, but can get gummy/ varnish w/ age if left in tank; try filling tank w/ kerosene overnight; if no luck, try a DEGREASER w/ water? E.g. SIMPLE GREEN/ PURPLE POWER; also pull OIL HOSE and FILTER to check/ clean out SAWDUST CLOGS? TIP: PAINTBRUSH TO CLEAN FILLER CAP AREAS BEFORE REMOVING CAPS

I would try mineral spirits. It's the solvent used in a lot of tung oil wood treatments, as well as clean up for same. It's safe on plastic and painted surfaces, as well as bare metal.
It don't do a thing to polymerized Stihl bio-bar oil.

Mineral spirits is just a mixture aliphatic hydrocarbons. A very non-polar solvent

If you're just trying to get the crap off the b&c, I would use lye (oven cleaner is good because it'll stay where you want it). Maybe heat up the b&c first with some boiling water. Don't get lye on aluminum, though...

Oven cleaner cuts through grease/varnish/sap on saw blades, etc. like nothing else I've used. I've heard some say that it attacks the bronze where the carbide teeth are brazed to circular saw blades, but I've never noticed any problems with it...then again, I rinse it off as soon as it lifts the sap.

So I've been mostly doing the old wipe and scrape method for removing this stupid bio oil. I did apply a small amount of acetone on the back of the chain cover as a test and it worked pretty good. I abandoned that idea however due to possible issues with plastic parts. Heat does help quite a bit, I'm actually going to try Dawn dish soap next. The saw runs and oils as it should, cut some wood with it yesterday. Will report back with results of the dish soap.

I used some Stihl bio-oil in my 066 and didn't know it set up and solidified. Froze up the chain on the bar so bad it was hard to pry off with a screw driver, and the stuff under the bar cover took off the paint with it. The chain is still so stiff it's unuseable, this is after soaking in various solvents for weeks. It did sit for months before I found this out.

I tried various solvents: gasoline, diesel, alcohol, acetone, engine cleaner,.......nothing worked. I didn't try halogenated solvents like tetrachloroethane or dichloromethane.

The oil did work well fresh, I used it for milling so I could use the sawdust for mulch. If I used it again, I'd run the oiler almost dry, then flush the system with a tankful of dino-oil. Also clean the clutch area up and bar and chain. Bar and chain might be OK after just running a tankfull of regular oil.
If its linseed oil watch out , I use linseed oil on heavy rust it, sinks in and solidifys
here's the catch , linseed oil is REALLY pron to spontaneous combustion , a rag will start to char in two hours or less, put the rag in water or spread it out and let the volatol's evaporate

Latest posts

Back