Black Gum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshlaugh

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have to admit, a black gum tree beat me senseless today. I run a 142 Husky that until today seemed fine for what I do. I cut 4-5 cords a year, mostly oak and maple with some elm thrown in. I use Stihls at work and Huskys at home.

I was barely cutting that gum tree. I was totally amazed by the lack of power on my saw and lack of progress I made. So now I have a small problem. The tree is still there, I figure I have until October to get it out of the field for my father in law. I do think my wife will let me get a bigger saw since I am "helping out her father" So I need a few suggestions. I am wanting to stay with Husky. Like I said I cut 4 or so cords a year purely for my family so we can heat our house. I might just keep checking Craiglist's for a nice used saw. Anyone have luck doing that?
And suggestions for a saw would be great. I know these threads go around all the time, I never paid attention before because I didn't have a problem!

Thanks

Josh

I have to admit, a black gum tree beat me senseless today. I run a 142 Husky that until today seemed fine for what I do. I cut 4-5 cords a year, mostly oak and maple with some elm thrown in. I use Stihls at work and Huskys at home.

I was barely cutting that gum tree. I was totally amazed by the lack of power on my saw and lack of progress I made. So now I have a small problem. The tree is still there, I figure I have until October to get it out of the field for my father in law. I do think my wife will let me get a bigger saw since I am "helping out her father" So I need a few suggestions. I am wanting to stay with Husky. Like I said I cut 4 or so cords a year purely for my family so we can heat our house. I might just keep checking Craiglist's for a nice used saw. Anyone have luck doing that?
And suggestions for a saw would be great. I know these threads go around all the time, I never paid attention before because I didn't have a problem!

Thanks

Josh
unless your cuttin real big stuff a 60cc saw would work good with the 142
if ya can catch a used 60 or 70cc saw thats your best bet

Thanks for the replies. I have to say that it is weird than. My saw has been running fine, I even had a new chain on it yet it cut so poorly I assumed it was the tree since I did know they are a pain to split.

Josh

Get a 372XP. Great reputation from loggers and firewood cutters. I got one awhile back and really like it.

If you get a 60cc saw sooner or later you're probably gonna want a bigger one so just go ahead and get the 372XP.

Back