Black Walnut tree planting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ditto_95

Reaction score
I am interested in start a small orchard of Black Walnut trees. Can someone tell me the correct procedure to start a Walnut tree from the nut? And what should the spacing be?We currently have about a dozen Walnut trees with half a dozen mature.
I would like to plant a couple of acres.
Thanks for your help.

I've had better results on Black Walnuts by planting the nuts over using bare rootstock as supplied by our state conservation department. You avoid transplant shock and all the losses associated with that method.
First thing to do is to decide on what nuts to use. Since you stated that you have some trees on site, if you have been able to observe them for a number of years you have probably noticed that some consistently bear a better crop than others. The one with the best traits would be the one I would pick to be the mother tree. Collect said nuts when they fall and save for planting later the same season.
You could prepare for late fall planting ahead of time some where during late summer. Each individual planting site (2'x2' or 3'x3' for example) could be sprayed with Roundup to help get rid of future plant competition. Another application of Roundup could be applied in spring before saplings emerge to get rid of any vegetation that came out during winter or early spring.
I would plant in late fall, the way I do it is to use a pick bar at each site poke a couple of holes and push the 2 nuts in 2" to 3" deep, tamp a little dirt back around the holes. If both sprout I let them both grow until until I can see if one is stronger and then cut the weaker off.
Spacing will depend on what you are trying to achieve, nut or timber production. With closer spacing you can always thin later while in the mean time getting some nut production and trying to establish a dominant canopy(walnut) to reduce undesirable woody competition.
Since I am no typist and I've pecked out about all I can stand to for now I think I'll stop here. If this helps any and you have any specific questions just ask and I will do my best to respond.
Best of luck Swannie

Black Walnut

Thanks Swannie, Thats sounds like what I am looking for. I had heard something about freezing the nuts prior to planting. Our local tree service guy also said he puts them in the refridgerator.
Do either of these statements have any merit?
My long term goal is timber but nut production will be as they fall.
Thanks for your help.

Ditto 95, As far as freezing the nuts goes that is the goal of the late fall planting, to freeze and have natural stratification occur right in the soil where they are planted over the course of the winter. No use adding in any extra steps in the process if they are not really needed. As long as you do not have a major squirrel problem and your winters are cold enough to freeze the ground some you should have good results.
Later, Swannie

I planted about 10 nuts last year 6 are now growing. 6 inches deep, about 8 feet apart. If you put the nuts in a pail of water(take off the green part first, wear gloves} throw away the floaters, the sinkers are viable nuts.

Latest posts

Back