Blower on fireplace insert not working properly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

066blaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a older insert with a blower on each side and 1 variable speed switch. Normally when I first turn the blower on they don't blow a high volume of air(even on high), then after a few minutes it seems like something opens and it blows alot. Anyway today it never started blowing high a volume even when very hot. The rpm's don't seem to change when this occurs, just volume of air , and both blowers at the same time,????any ideas

Bypass the variable speed switch and see if it runs at top speed. If it does, then it is the variable speed controller. YD

Bearings frozen likely cause. The permanent lubricated oilite bronze types will due this with out making a big racket, ball or roller types the grease inside has got hard and old or dissipated. On open frame units the windings seem to electrically ( not shorting- you would smell that) breakdown causing loss of power not that full frame are not subject to the same problem

I had a chance to look at it. 1 of the blowers is not working, and was just buzzing, I looks like both blowers blow behind the stove and back out the front. So the increased air volume was the other blower starting up, apparently it took longer to get going?? The wheel is free and turns. So not sure what's up ,I guess it's needs to be replaced. It says to oil every 6 months but I don't know where or what to oil.

What kind of fan motor is it? My old stove used 2 C frame motors which can easily be replaced for about $25 ea.

I found a new blower for $75 on amazon. I tried blowing it out and oiling it ,and it still won't go . The wheel spins but not as easy as the other one, so I'm gonna order a new one.

it might be possible to just replace the bearings- that is what I do 90% of the time. Course I do it myself not by taking it some where. bearings on the stove blower were history- new blower $159, pair of bearings $12 and 45 min. of my time.

Before you spend the $75 on a new blower... why don't you Hardware that one to a plug and see if it'll function or directly. Could be that over the years the wires have become brittle and dried and heated and you might have a crack wire or loose wire nut somewhere... It might be inside the little electric motor. The electric blower motors on most wood stoves are in a pretty harsh environment. They're exposed to extreme heat and very fine Ash particle dust

I put the new blower in amd.it works great. Only concern I have is on the old blower there was 3 wires on the new one there is only 2.. am I supposed to rig up my own ground wire??

I put the new blower in amd.it works great. Only concern I have is on the old blower there was 3 wires on the new one there is only 2.. am I supposed to rig up my own ground wire??
the new one may be grounded to the unit after you install it, the older ones all had 3 wires, I have the same problem, "bad motor" all the new ones have two wires and the old one has 3. I am debating either install my wood burning stove or fix the insert motor and use it or set the wood stove in the basement and use the insert upstairs.

the new one may be grounded to the unit after you install it, the older ones all had 3 wires, I have the same problem, "bad motor" all the new ones have two wires and the old one has 3. I am debating either install my wood burning stove or fix the insert motor and use it or set the wood stove in the basement and use the insert upstairs.
mine has been working good since i put it in. the other side was acting up at the end of last season, got a new one have to install yet

earth ground to stove would not be a bad idea , might even be listed as such in manual, iirc you were supposed to earth ground an appliance in mobile homes. If you think about it you have a very nice lightening rod sticking out of your roof.

Latest posts

Back