bogus ebay bidders?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodheater

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Whats up with all the seemingly bogus bidders on ebay? User names like e***e f***d r***w e***r h***h. They are showing up on a lot of auctions. Some of the bidders seem to have high feedback numbers but I have not been able to figure out how to access their feedback page. Seems fishy to me? Look here. I have been watching this item get bid right on up and it appears that all the bids are bogus? Maybe there is something I am not understanding? If these are bogus is this within the rules of ebay? I would have bid on that saw but I'm not gonna bid against some phony bidder.
Mark

Last edited:
to tell the truth im not sure, but i know that ebay wont show the bidders for privacy reasons, so they all have 3*'s between the first and last letters of there ebay name. i think when its won the winner is showen, but not sure.

as for that saw, they are very popular and do get bid on heaps.

when i bid i will normally bid once early and low just to check i can bid(bidding from overseas not always alowed) and then snipe if i can get to a computer...... why people bid up 3 days out is beyond me

serg

to tell the truth im not sure, but i know that ebay wont show the bidders for privacy reasons, so they all have 3*'s between the first and last letters of there ebay name. i think when its won the winner is showen, but not sure.

as for that saw, they are very popular and do get bid on heaps.

when i bid i will normally bid once early and low just to check i can bid(bidding from overseas not always alowed) and then snipe if i can get to a computer...... why people bid up 3 days out is beyond me

serg

Ahhh That makes sense. Now I feel better. I never bid till the last min or so myself.

If you are refering to the asterisk in the names of the bidders, ebay started that so you could not contact the bidder with a similar item to sell. I've never checked to see a competing bidders feedback, I'm not sure why you would. I guess to see if you can tell if the seller is bidding up his item. The sellers feedback is what makes the difference. You need to watch that also because it can be decieving. I've seen scams where a so called seller will boost his feedback by PURCHASING all $1 items of all sorts and then put up a bogus listings at a good buy it now price. The feed back appears as all positive but doesn't tell you it's all purchases untill you look further. I've talked to guys on other sites that have gotten beat for thousands on deals like that. Guys who fish tournaments and were trying to replace all thier reels. Ebay is a great place for bargains but if you don't know the values of what your bidding on or don't look close enough at the seller you can get burned.

The feed back appears as all positive but doesn't tell you it's all purchases untill you look further.

That's why you never go just by the feedback %, you look at the actual feedback. Read it. Doesn't take long to see a pattern of the same buyer or just a few, but all making basically the same comments.

I've never checked to see a competing bidders feedback, I'm not sure why you would. I guess to see if you can tell if the seller is bidding up his item.

Thats exactly what I was trying to see. You used to be able to look at the others bidders profiles and numbers to see if they had a bunch of bid retractions or a lot of bidding without much winning to see if maybe you were bidding against the seller under other user names. Guess the scammers ruined that privelage for us.:(

Well you can always look at the feedback of the seller on an item you are interested in. You can't look at feedback on other bidders (that are asterix'ed) until after the auctions over. But then again why would you?

You can't look at feedback on other bidders (that are asterix'ed) until after the auctions over. But then again why would you?

Here's a few reasons...
1. May be a clue if the seller has someone else working in cahoots trying to run the price up on an item.
2. Even though the proxy bidding is a great concept, simple fact is that many people bid and bid and bid a little more each time instead of just putting in their really absolute high bid amount up front. Seeing feedback can allow you to get an idea of other bidder's "creeping" habits.
3. Seeing other's prior bidding can be a clue as to just how high someone may be willing to go for a certain item. If its something you really need or want, its good to have some idea what it may end up going for.

Dan

Here's a few reasons...
1. May be a clue if the seller has someone else working in cahoots trying to run the price up on an item.
2. Even though the proxy bidding is a great concept, simple fact is that many people bid and bid and bid a little more each time instead of just putting in their really absolute high bid amount up front. Seeing feedback can allow you to get an idea of other bidder's "creeping" habits.
3. Seeing other's prior bidding can be a clue as to just how high someone may be willing to go for a certain item. If its something you really need or want, its good to have some idea what it may end up going for.

Dan

EXACTLY!!

Whats up with all the seemingly bogus bidders on ebay? User names like e***e f***d r***w e***r h***h. They are showing up on a lot of auctions. Some of the bidders seem to have high feedback numbers but I have not been able to figure out how to access their feedback page. Seems fishy to me?

I thought the same thing at first, til I saw somewhere on ebay that it was for privacy issues.

-LouieIV :givebeer:

To give you a clue, only some of the auctions are "Private" Listings, others have the names shown. I just bought an 044 on there and the guy I bid against sent me a message saying how he was bidding against me and lost. Fortunately he was just asking how I went about having it shipped, since he was looking at the same thing from the same buyer (but for another saw), but he could have gotten nasty or even gotten my information had he really wanted to scam me.

Yeah, I've noticed that the winning bidder's info is shown once the auction is over. I have also noticed that bidders with very low feedback come out of nowhere late in many auctions. That seems a bit fishy to me, like the seller has a shill to help manipulate the auction......:mad:

The new setup stinks - It's made it easy for dishonest sellers to use shill accounts. Everytime they change ebay to 'make it better' They make it worse. It's like everyone there has a better mousetrap. Now, a seller can only leave pos. FB for a buyer - No neg, no neutral. Some buyer can jerk you around forever, wind up not paying, give you bad FB [for any dumb reason] And your stuck with it - You can't even tell the community what a dork the bidder was. All this is supposed to 'protect' buyers that won't take the time to educate themselves before bidding. " Wow this sellers got another 090 he's offering me for 500.00 - Where do I send the $$$$$$" :dizzy:

The new setup stinks - It's made it easy for dishonest sellers to use shill accounts. Everytime they change ebay to 'make it better' They make it worse. It's like everyone there has a better mousetrap. Now, a seller can only leave pos. FB for a buyer - No neg, no neutral. Some buyer can jerk you around forever, wind up not paying, give you bad FB [for any dumb reason] And your stuck with it - You can't even tell the community what a dork the bidder was. All this is supposed to 'protect' buyers that won't take the time to educate themselves before bidding. " Wow this sellers got another 090 he's offering me for 500.00 - Where do I send the $$$$$$" :dizzy:

I don't think this is true. When I sell something (yesterday) I always have the option to leave bad feedback for a buyer. I don't think i've ever done it, but on the feedback page it definitely gives me the option. Did something change overnight?
Also, the asterix *** thing. Though you cant tell much about a competing buyer you can tell if they're a newbie or more experienced based on their rating number.

Yes, the asterisks alarmed me at first, but the names were hidden. What
alarms me now is this new feedback policy.
There will be total chaos until they change it back, and I will sit out until then

Holy s***t, that is damn nonsense. Thanks for pointing that out to me. I'm gonna hold off on selling saws till the fall anyway as prices have really dropped lately. Maybe by then e-bay will have screwed it's head back on.

I don't like the hidden bidder list either. You never know who you are bidding against, it could be a friend.
Below is a link of a seller that shows up as having 100% when looking at jonsered list, but sometimes shows actual feedback if you click on item and has always showed 98.1% when clicking into feedback. Doesn't make sense.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JONSERED-JONSER...ryZ20538QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know how much I can say on here but there is a certain:censored: seller on ebay that scammed several people and then was finally kicked off ebay by the ebay police. But was back on in just a short time under a new:censored: name. He claimed he was not the same :censored: fellow as the former:censored: deadbeat seller. Funny, he had the same residential address, was selling chainsaws and other more or less identicle items too as former :censored: deadbeat seller.

There are good sellers and deadbeat scammers on ebay. the worst for me was paying for an old Jred with money order and a certain :censored: did not send the saw. This :censored: seller lives in a town with 'falls' in its / his name. ;)
The nicest was a glassware purchase and some glass ws broken on arrival. the sellers did everything in getting insurance company notified and all the paperwork and everything. Broken glassware was not nice but hte people sure were!

Yep gotta watch the feedback, I don't bid on items if seller has less that 99% and accepts paypal too.
On old slow dialup computer it is hard to be in the auctioning action in the last 60 seconds.
Thanks Archer292 about those 100% feedback scammers, something to watch out for.

Back