boot grease

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kissfan113

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What do y'all use to grease your boots for waterproof and preservation. I've been using Vaseline and sno-seal for years with good results, but figured I'd get some opinions to see if there is something better out there.
Kevin

I've had good luck with Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP, boot grease. It was developed by an Idaho Wildland firefighter and has a bunch on natural stuff and works grat on waterproofing and re-oiling the leather. It works great on my fireboots and also my logging boots and lasts a long time.

Around here... this stuff is widely used...

pict19.jpg

Works awesome...

Gary

Around here... this stuff is widely used...

pict19.jpg

Works awesome...

Gary

Excellent stuff +1......and read the labels to stay away from some of the synthetic stuff as I had a tin of something that ate the stitching out of my leathers once......and don't use bar oil as a guy on our crew used too!

Obenauf's is great stuff. Has a pair of boots that I used that on and made it across a river (knee deep) 5 times before my feet got wet, and that was because I tripped and the water came in over the top of the boot. Just keep your dogs away from the can of it, for some reason they love to eat it.

I've had good luck with Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP, boot grease. It was developed by an Idaho Wildland firefighter and has a bunch on natural stuff and works grat on waterproofing and re-oiling the leather. It works great on my fireboots and also my logging boots and lasts a long time.

+1

My favorite? Viking but I can't find it around here anymore. I tried Loggers World, it worked but smelled like smoked meat to me and I got hungry so I gave it away. I think my favorite is Campsomething. It has all the good stuff and makes my hands feel good after using it. I've even used it for hand lotion when my hands were really in bad shape, Back in Wisconsin, youse know.
I last used Obenhaufs or whatever oil, and my feet got wet. I think the leather on the Wescos is wearing out too. So, I'm wearing my Viking Rubber calks now and waiting for the Kuliens to be made. The Vikings don't need grease. But they do need new felt insoles.

I never did like the Loggers World. It has pine tar in it and that is what it smells like to me. Didn't seem to waterproof to me.
I make my own. Bear or coon grease and bees wax. Not to much wax or it makes the shoes to stiff.
I made up some with otter oil for a while which is a very light oil. It was good too.

Good thread! I'm all out of Obenauf's....time to call Madsen's and order some. And some leather boot laces too...using yellow hay rope on your boots tends to get you snickered at.

Good thread! I'm all out of Obenauf's....time to call Madsen's and order some. And some leather boot laces too...using yellow hay rope on your boots tends to get you snickered at.

You live in a deprived area. I can go to town tomorrow and find it most anywhere, along with the stuff I like. But that would be the same town that Madsen's is in...(time for gloatation).I think the Guaranteed To Last Longer Than Your Boots laces I have must have some kind of evil abrasive material in them. The eyelet rings are about all worn through, even after the frequent rotation. I found that I had four pairs of boots in Bubba 1.
No wonder it smelled kinda tropical.:eek:

You live in a deprived area. I can go to town tomorrow and find it most anywhere, along with the stuff I like. But that would be the same town that Madsen's is in...(time for gloatation).I think the Guaranteed To Last Longer Than Your Boots laces I have must have some kind of evil abrasive material in them. The eyelet rings are about all worn through, even after the frequent rotation. I found that I had four pairs of boots in Bubba 1.
No wonder it smelled kinda tropical.:eek:

Leather laces seem to be a little easier on the eyelets. Plus, if you get stranded in the woods, you can cut little hunks off the ends and chew them like jerky. :)

I grew up with Sno seal,its always been the go-to boot proofin.Still havent figured out what to use on my Danners for H2O proofin,instructions were kinda vague outside of conditioner stuff,but I think they say stay away from animal greasin.
Slowp,ive got a pair of those bomb proof laces too,REALLY hard to find good round looong bootlaces here for some reason.I think they were $4 a whack @REI and that was at least a yr ago,leather laces fall apart to quickly here for my taste.I know it cant just be moisture as PNW sees far more rain than we do here(Gulf coast,now thats a different story!)
Big ole S.E storm pushed in last night rain and wind all over the place,you'da felt right at home.So it was steel toe Xtra Tuffs instead of leather today.Warmed right up from 20's to balmy mid 40's,hope this isnt the trend.If I wanted rain Id move back to Juneau .

ak4195

Obenhauf's been bery bery good to me. I work the grease in in front of the fire but use just the oil during the summer when it doesn't rain. You know, from April through December. Snow I don't know.

Obenauf boot oil

I had my wife order the Obenaufs from Madsens. She ordered oil instead of grease. AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGG!
Is this stuff any good? I've never used it but I guess I will be, now. Any tips on how much to use? I over-oiled a pair of Wescos years ago and they kind of mushed apart and turned all my sox black.

I have only used their oil, and am now wearing my rubber boots in our rainy weather. I was going to buy some grease last trip to town, but instead bought a fancy weedwhacker for which I got candy and a hat. The oil did not keep my leather boots from getting sopping wet. But they are kind of worn too.

I had my wife order the Obenaufs from Madsens. She ordered oil instead of grease. AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGG!
Is this stuff any good? I've never used it but I guess I will be, now. Any tips on how much to use? I over-oiled a pair of Wescos years ago and they kind of mushed apart and turned all my sox black.

The oil is a good product it just has different uses from the grease. I oil my boots lightly between grease jobs and use just the oil during the summer. It is great to work into the tongue to make it soft just don't over oil the shaft or the foot.

Back