Boot Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenhorntrimmr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking for some suggestions on climbing boots. I have had two pair since I got in the trade about six months ago. So far I have had a pair of Carolina's (Junk) which the soles fell apart and they were really uncomfortable when wearing spikes. My second pair are Cabela's Loggers. They are a really comfortable boot and are still pretty comfortable in spikes, but the soles are sepparting now and I have had them since september. Since I do alot of climbing I am looking for a boot that is considerally comfortable in spikes. But lets face it after being up there all day no boot is going to be entirely comfortable. So hopefully you more experienced guys can give me some helpful suggestions.

I'm going to guess that the recommendations from most will be Whites or Wescos.

I do a lot of non-spike climbing so I have a pair of Rockys that I can use with spurs but are still flexible enough to climb spikeless. I've had them for 5 years, and they're about shot, so I'm on the hunt for another pair.

I hope someone has a good answer because I still don't.

I have a pair of Husqvarna Loggers that are the most comfortable boot I have ever worn. They are all leather with a nice wide toe and a low heel, but they don't make them anymore as I understand it. I don't believe they have a steel shank but are comfortable in spikes and weigh less because of it.

I also have a pair of Red Wing's with a steel shank and steel toe. They have high heels that make my knees hurt when walking on the ground. They are also heavy and still very stiff because of the steel. I am not a fan of the steel toe and have also worn many comfortable climbing boots without a steel shank. Bring on the suggestions because I need to find a new favorite that will be around for a while.

Since I do alot of climbing I am looking for a boot that is considerally comfortable in spikes. But lets face it after being up there all day no boot is going to be entirely comfortable. So hopefully you more experienced guys can give me some helpful suggestions.

You are wrong, I wear Viberg lineman boots. They are handmade in Victoria B.C., and expensive, but they are entirely comfortable. They are also steel toe, steel shank, but you can't feel it.

Last edited:
I hope someone has a good answer because I still don't.

I have a pair of Husqvarna Loggers that are the most comfortable boot I have ever worn. They are all leather with a nice wide toe and a low heel, but they don't make them anymore as I understand it. I don't believe they have a steel shank but are comfortable in spikes and weigh less because of it.

I also have a pair of Red Wing's with a steel shank and steel toe. They have high heels that make my knees hurt when walking on the ground. They are also heavy and still very stiff because of the steel. I am not a fan of the steel toe and have also worn many comfortable climbing boots without a steel shank. Bring on the suggestions because I need to find a new favorite that will be around for a while.

I hear hoffman boots are okay, but they have a really stiff steel shank from what I hear. I am looking for more of a tried trued and proven boot, that's why I posted the thread, to get some suggestions before I buy another pair.

How do they hold up to wear?

The Vibergs I wear now have been resoled three times with Vibram soles, I bought them in 04, I have worn them a lot. The Vibergs I bought in 01 are separating at the heel, finally, I still wear them. They were resoled at least three times as well. A lot of work on the road, chipping, lots of walking over rocks and rough ground on r.o.w.s, as well as climbing.

Last edited:
Whites are the BEST.

Wescos are a close second.

Hathorn, Hoffmans, Baileys.

Any of those will work for climbing.

Redwings are junk, Save your money.

I have 11 years on one pair of whites and 6 years on the other. I also have 2 pairs of Wescos. I like the3 Whites much better, But the Wescos are a good boot as well.

Good luck with what ever you get.

http://www.whitesoutdoor.com/store/product.php?category=Boots&id=697

I have two pairs of these.

http://www.whitesoutdoor.com/store/product.php?category=Boots&id=683

I got a pair of these last year as well. They are nice when its wet or cold out.
I have worn them all day in a tree and they are comfy.

I was looking at those boots but they only come in 16" heights and I am looking for a maximum of 12" . That is why I am looking into wesco. Nontheless thanks for the suggestion

Asking this question is like asking which saw is best. There are GREAT mnufacturers out there, its all in what you like.

Me personally I have been in Wescos for 7 years now, and dont plan on changing.....EVER! They hold up great, still on original soles of my second pair TWO years later! I LOVE the look of them, and they have been making boots for the logging industry for close to 100 years. Their customer service is awesome and they are still a family onwed and operated co.

I can keep going, but wont........

+1 wesco's are they way to go. i wear mine 6 days a week. ive got the 16 inch highlanders excellent boots they are a little pricey but worth every penny

imo i like scarpa Z/G. they have vibram soles and nylon inserts in the arch. they are light, inexpensive, gore-tex, and leather with kevlar reinforcements on the toes and heels. i get atleast a good year out of them. they work great with hooks or no hooks, and i will never ever wear another pair of line or loggers again.

I use Wolverines and i have a set of 800 gram Irish Setters for cold weather. There a little bulky but still fit in my Kliens ok.

Wescos all the way!!! I was asking the same quetion about a month ago. Bought the 16in Highlanders and my knees feel like new. I wear spikes 8hrs a day 5-6 days a week. The most comfortable boots I've had in 16yrs. REDWINGS suck!!! Last pair didn't hold up 9 months. Wescos are worth the money.

Wescos here, ive got quite a few pairs. got 2 pairs on order right now. took advantage of the december 20% off and free shipping :) They have great customer service. I ordered a pair of packers in a different leather than they normally use. I told them what I wanted, they sent me a sample and I was happy with what they sent so they are making them out of it.

I just got a new pair of whites I got an older pair also, 6 years old or so. The leather on the new boots is not as thick, nor as stiff as the old ones, or the wesco's. Lesser quality cow I guess. I won't be buying another pair from them. They are not near as comfortable on my feet as the wescos either.

You are wrong, I wear Viberg lineman boots. They are handmade in Victoria B.C., and expensive, but they are entirely comfortable. They are also steel toe, steel shank, but you can't feel it.

clearance,, whats that old saying ??? "you get what you pay for "

i fly a bucket most of the time,, but when i have to spike,, it really doesn't matter what boot i have because i'm only on them for 2-3 hrs at a time.. thats counting up and down a few trees..

if i had to do it day in and day out,,, i might change my ways... first thing i would do is get better upper pads for my bucks,, before i got a new set of boots...

. [url]http://www.whitesoutdoor.com/store/product.php?category=Boots&id=683

I got a pair of these last year as well. They are nice when its wet or cold out.
I have worn them all day in a tree and they are comfy.

Now that's what i've been looking for - a cold weather boot to climb in. Have you ever been up in spikes with them for hours. With all the steel in regular climbing boots, i can't keep my feet warm for nothin. I'd like to know if your feet actually stay warm or if the boots just make it tolerable.

Latest posts

Back