Bought me a new trimmer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reyn

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Before this the biggest I have ran was a 55r which I still have. Found this on craiglist and the guy really takes care of his equipment. Now which head should I get for grass and weeds that is waist to chest high? The 3 bladed metal? Also have some privet and briars I need to get. Should I get a saw blade for that?

5DDCFEC4-6BF0-4F2B-8BD5-24E912A159A2-1337-00000136D816B3E1_zpsf74b7819.jpg

364E2A81-73F0-4298-8D66-C0BE96A6C860-1337-00000136D0A131EC_zps53fc5c20.jpg

Nice trimmer. I bought the same one and love it. Just for home and church use but I smile each time I fire it up.

Really nice, those are a brutish trimmer. You put a chisel tooth blade on that and you'll out cut most chainsaws! Seriously though, I've got an 8" chisel tooth for my FS90 and it will take down smaller trees, and will make quick work of thick, tangled grass.
Have fun with it,
Adam.

Look for a shredder blade. You will not be disappointed. Search ebay for Stihl brushcutter blade and they are in a u shape.

lose the guard,get the big line head stihl sells and drill two of the holes out for .130 line.i think itll hold 20ft of .130.just make sure to wear safety glasses or a face sheild.i cut briars and all kinds of nasty big stuff with just the line.just bought my second new fs250.my other one laid down on me back last fall after 5-6 years of heavy duty use..probably done 4 acres of clearing with it a week spring,summer and fall for all of that time.i'm still gonna rebuild her and do a port job and muffler mod. ;) I found one on craigs list last week for $200 and it was a year old.called about it the other day and it had done been sold.same for a rebuildable scag 52" advantage deck walk behind for $500 today. :(

Look for a shredder blade. You will not be disappointed. Search ebay for Stihl brushcutter blade and they are in a u shape.

Searching here it seems they are impossible to find. I found a link to Baileys but someone said they no longer sell them due to liability?

Searching here it seems they are impossible to find. I found a link to Baileys but someone said they no longer sell them due to liability?

Copy and paste this into the ebay search tab "T2 BRUSH CUTTER BLADE 4 STIHL ECHO 3MM THICK - 1" ARBOR" You will have to see what size arbor you have, but i would think it would have a 1"

Copy and paste this into the ebay search tab "T2 BRUSH CUTTER BLADE 4 STIHL ECHO 3MM THICK - 1" ARBOR" You will have to see what size arbor you have, but i would think it would have a 1"

Found it. Thanks!

AS member 'nonprophet' has them..or DID..have them. Maybe sold out..??
( I bought 3 from him..and they are heavy duty designed )

With proper power..(your FS 250..!!)..:msp_thumbsup:..a perfect match.

About $26 per blade and shipping...These are really heavy duty..so need heavy gear drive.
:cheers:
J2F

With a blade I find I have more control using bike handlebars. Just my own experience and can't speak for others.

While we're on it, I've been looking to pick up a used Stihl trimmer before all the traditional 2-strokers are gone.

With all (I think) of their trimmers now using the 4-mix engines, I don't want to get stuck with one of those engines some day. So I'm trying to grab a used 2-stroke while they're still available.

Anyone know what models I should be looking for in the Stihl lineup? Preferably something larger, as my current Echo is a small 22cc model that handles grass trimming on my lawn. But I want something bigger for tearing down the high/heavy stuff in the back of the property.

Chainsaw models......I know inside and out. But trimmers.........not so much.

While we're on it, I've been looking to pick up a used Stihl trimmer before all the traditional 2-strokers are gone.

Anyone know what models I should be looking for in the Stihl lineup? Preferably something larger, as my current Echo is a small 22cc model that handles grass trimming on my lawn. But I want something bigger for tearing down the high/heavy stuff in the back of the property.
Stihl FS 250...it's the only BIG size 2-stroke that they now produce..everything over (including fs-90) is "4-mix".

Stihl would really like to discontinue this trimmer...BUT...there's just a lot of folks that want the BIG 2-stroke.

The 4 mixers have more torque...but I just hate that response trigger speed and especially the slooow..let off speed.
J2F

The fs 250 needs handle bars for the metal blades. A tri blade for weeds/grass and brush to 1" or 1/1/4". Use a chisel blade for heavy brush 1" and up. The fs 550 will do 3" brush/small trees. Watch for blade grab after 1".

I have a fs250R trimmer just like the one you have and have cut 4ft. high grass and several 2" sapplings and even a little 3" maple with it using the three tiped brush blade sharpened well. 4ft. grass will work the machine hard and the operator as well. I've used the string trimmer for grass as well and feel the line trimmer works best on grass but for thicker stuff, the brush blade is the way to go. With the "R" version your not supposed to put a saw blade on it according to Stihl, only on the Bike handle version. Even with the brush blade you need a bigger deflector and a barrier bar attached to the handle. I'd run it with 105 "X" line and see how you like it before buying anything else for it.

For regular 8-12 inch grass the fs250 is way over kill and will do best just off idle. For tall stuff it will do it, but I wouldn't want to do over 2ft grass for more than a few hours. The machine will vibrate you so wear AV gloves for several hours of brushcutting. I've found the 250 is like a tweener saw, too big for small jobs and not enough for big ones. Still, it puts a smile on the face in shorter grass. For all day cutting acre after acre in 4ft grass, I went to a fs550. While it broke me in fuel, I wasn't tired after cutting several acres with it. And it was much faster as it didn't bog down.

I bought mine for the same reason a lot of folks are thinking about. I wanted it before they stop making them, and I'm not sorry I did.

I have the Stihl Metal Brush Knife (3 blade) and the Chisel tooth circular saw blade, among others. Chisel Tooth Circular Saw blade is much better for woody plants, and it will cut trees almost like a chainsaw. Bike handles give you much more control.

Sawfun9...You know I love you like a brother...BUT...

"cutting acre after acre in 4ft grass..For all day"

Bro...You make me (old man) tired just reading about this...there's this contraption called a tractor and bush-hog..!!

:hmm3grin2orange:..:hmm3grin2orange: Take care my friend..!!
J2F

Yea well not having a tractor or brush hog made for some good old fashioned hard work. It wasn't my property (I live in town) or I would have invested in some more significant equiptment. Besides I did enjoy the occasional workout. I ended up doing some deforesting and found out the differences and capabilities, or lack there of, in a trimmer, brushcutter, and clearing saw.

Well boys I've already ran into a problem. This thing runs fine for about an hour. After that it will not idle and just dies. It will crank back up and as long as it is getting some throttle it runs but once I go back to idle it will sputter shortly or die outright. Will crank right back up though.

Let it sit 15 minutes and it will idle but within a few minutes of use it will die again if I let off throttle. Does this sound like an ignition module issue? No problem on a cold crank..just after some use.

Back