bought my first saw, ,left wanting more

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the quick replies.

I have a husky sharpening kit. (2round files a guide and a flat file)
I just did a sharpen on it but didn't touch the rakers as I didn't quite know what needed to be done to it. Looks like its time to do some more reading.
Saw has much larger flakes now but still not as smooth cutting as the first couple cuts.

When the sproket seized the shop had adjusted the chain and said to check after 5 cuts. I only made 4 cuts before it seized.
I am checking it now religiously.

How much more power will it get as it breaks in? 5% 10% 2%? Roughly as everything will differ.
The pro husky are much much more $ than the 4to $500 I was willing to spend. (Spent $1500 on yard tools yesterday)
I was checking used market but everything was beat or very high priced.
Eyeing a 372xpg that popped up this morning used for 2 weeks for $500.
Canadian prices are more than us

With the saw new and out of the box, there is a good chance that there wasnt time to get bar oil down the bar and into the sprocket to lubricate it very well, especially if you went right into the wood with it. Just make sure your chain is tensioned properly (new chains will stretch after some use, dont let them get too loose), and you shouldnt need to constantly worry about it.

Not an easy percent number to give you (at least I cant). But as the rings wear in, the compression should go up, the chain and bear will wear in some, and you should be able to tune the saw properly to get the best output from it.

As others have said, its not ever going to be a 70cc saw. A sharp chain is going to be your best friend. If you stop throwing large chips, stop sawing and sharpen or switch chains. Its a real PITA when you hit rocks or dirt, but its not worth it to load the saw/clutch or really dog on it to try and keep going. Use the guide you have and a sharp file, and with some practice you will throw a nice chip again.

If you wanted to move up a size, there is always the possibility that your dealer could let you trade in this Echo and move up a size without taking too much of a loss. Or you could try to muffler mod your saw as mentioned here at the expense of the warranty (unless you buy one separately as was mentioned here).

At the end of the day, the best modification for the dollar to any saw is a sharp chain.

Well I'll run some more fuel through it and see. Spent some time freehand sharpening! Now it cuts!
Would I notice much difference going down to a 16" .325 bar?
Reason i ask is ive struck a deal for that husky 372xpg with heated grips and carb. Comes with a 24"bar and chain.
Realistically a 20"bar is big enough around here.
Will the 372 pull a 24 bar well?
What is a good brand of bar?

Think ill keep the cs500 stock to see how much power it picks up. I love how light it is and how it handles.

372xpg is no warranty so ill mod it if I feel the need.
But for $450cdn can't go wrong I think

That 372 will spin that 24" and have some left over but it will never be a 044. Sorry, I'm a Stihl guy in case you didn't notice.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but bottom line, you bought an under powered saw. If you mod the muffler and retune, you'll be much happier. But, it's still what it is.

The Echo CS500p is a good saw. It is basically an updated Shindaiwa 502S. With a few tanks, it will become stronger. It comes from the factory nearly set up for a DIY muffler mod with a simple screw driver. Nothing else comes close to it for the price. Keep the chain sharp, keep the bar out of the dirt, make sure the oiler is working right and the oiler hole isn't obstructed, and the chain isn't too tight.

Smaller bar on the Echo will likely affect the saw's balance more than it's power. If you are getting the second saw, I would suggest running them both until you get a good feel for them as they are. Keep the existing chains sharp.

After you have run them for awhile, you will be the best judge of things to try.

Philbert

That 372 will spin that 24" and have some left over but it will never be a 044. Sorry, I'm a Stihl guy in case you didn't notice.

It will also never be a turkey or a small eggplant, either. If you ask me, this guy should spend some more time with a 50cc saw and bring up his skillset before he starts slinging around a 70cc saw with 2 feet of bar. I think Brad can relate to what happens when you have more saw than skills. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
With the saw new and out of the box, there is a good chance that there wasnt time to get bar oil down the bar and into the sprocket to lubricate it very well, especially if you went right into the wood with it. Just make sure your chain is tensioned properly (new chains will stretch after some use, dont let them get too loose), and you shouldnt need to constantly worry about it./QUOTE]

Good call...

I also think a chain that is too tight makes the saw feel weaker(bogs easier). Maybe my imagination?

...Spent some time freehand sharpening! Now it cuts!
Would I notice much difference going down to a 16" .325 bar?
Reason i ask is ive struck a deal for that husky 372xpg with heated grips and carb. Comes with a 24"bar and chain.
Realistically a 20"bar is big enough around here.
Will the 372 pull a 24 bar well?...

Think ill keep the cs500 stock to see how much power it picks up. I love how light it is and how it handles...

If you're cutting softwoods mostly, an 18" bar might be OK. I'm cutting mostly maple and oak, so the ms260 Pro works best with the standard 16" bar and it balances well front to back.

The 372 is a great saw which will pull a 24" bar in softwood, but you're going to have to find a lot more wood than the 20 trees you mentioned in your original post... :msp_smile: OTOH, bad things can happen in a hurry with a larger saw, so your skill set had better be up to snuff if you decide to step up to that level of performance.

Last edited:
For some clarification when the echo was new I let it idle for about 4mins. Held it above a stump and idle up and down then wot and back several times and made sure I saw a line of oil on the stump. Then went hard at it. It never touched dirt as I was an inch off the ground.

I am not experienced with a saw. I have a good understanding of how the blade moves and how it wants to kick. (Im a welder and run grinders so I grasp rotating power tools) I have now been tasked with the next 2 neighbors back bush aswell. As one is a widow and the other has a t435 that he saws the chain falls off every 3 cuts. I may just use the husky for the larger logs and see how it goes.

Is $450 not a good price? It sells at my local saw shop for nearly $1200 plus tax. Says its 2 weeks of use. Has 2 365s and needs to get money for work asap.

For some clarification when the echo was new I let it idle for about 4mins. Held it above a stump and idle up and down then wot and back several times and made sure I saw a line of oil on the stump. Then went hard at it. It never touched dirt as I was an inch off the ground.

I am not experienced with a saw. I have a good understanding of how the blade moves and how it wants to kick. (Im a welder and run grinders so I grasp rotating power tools) I have now been tasked with the next 2 neighbors back bush aswell. As one is a widow and the other has a t435 that he saws the chain falls off every 3 cuts. I may just use the husky for the larger logs and see how it goes.

Is $450 not a good price? It sells at my local saw shop for nearly $1200 plus tax. Says its 2 weeks of use. Has 2 365s and needs to get money for work asap.

450 for a 372 is a perfectly good price for one near new!

$450 for a nearly new 372? Heck, I would buy that just to see what all the hype is about! I have seriously been considering adding a second 70cc saw to the arsenal just so I wouldn't have to switch bars on the 044 for doing smaller work on the tree and on the ground. If I found a deal like that I would for sure jump on it!

$450 for a nearly new 372? Heck, I would buy that just to see what all the hype is about! I have seriously been considering adding a second 70cc saw to the arsenal just so I wouldn't have to switch bars on the 044 for doing smaller work on the tree and on the ground. If I found a deal like that I would for sure jump on it!

So this statement, "That 372 will spin that 24" and have some left over but it will never be a 044. Sorry, I'm a Stihl guy in case you didn't notice." was just for show?

Well its been a hard 2 weeks of use.
Guy used it day in day out. Serial number says its a 2011. Started good. Tip of bar is worn but he filed it.?
Sounds great chain is what I think is really loose. Bottom hangs down off the bar a good bit. He said thats how he uses.
Gave me a extra chain and a file and I talked him down to $400

Last edited:
So this statement, "That 372 will spin that 24" and have some left over but it will never be a 044. Sorry, I'm a Stihl guy in case you didn't notice." was just for show?

All of my saws at this point have been bought used and they have always been Stihl. I have never owned a Husky so I will say, if cost justified I would try one. If someone said here is a barely used 372 for $450 oh yeah, I would buy it! I would use it and probably love it a much as my Stihls. At this point I have just always had Stihls and the 044 is without a doubt a legend! Not saying the 372 isn't, I just haven't had my hands on one yet.

20130819_125252.jpg

Ill throw some more pics up in a bit
20130819_125138.jpg
20130819_125111.jpg

Latest posts

Back