bought my first saw, ,left wanting more

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the neighbor went out and bought me a 22inch husky bar and chain. Along with a spare 18inch .325 chain for my echo. $172 worth of him saying thanks for me clearing his .25 acre. I was in the middle of stump grinding when he tapped me on the shoulder and said "your committed now I got you a present"

20130819_165657.jpg
20130819_165646.jpg

With the new 22" bar and husky chain. Also noticed the guy gave me a spare 22"stihl chain not a 24. So its a good thing my neighbor surprised me with a 22"bar.

Only question is where does the oil come out from?
Lots of oil on bar but not much on chain and wot it won't throw a line of oil on the ground. Got the oiler adjusted to max all ready (where it was previously set)
Is it common to need to turn idle Down going to a smaller bar? Chain moves slowly while idling now

You need to pull the bar off and clean out the oil holes. I've had a couple of new bars come with paint in the holes. Also, I'm not sure what the difference is between the small and large mount husky bars. Someone else will have to clarify that. If it's possible to put a small mount bar on a large mount saw, the oil holes may not line up with the oiler passage on the saw.

The saw probably needs to be tuned. I'd suggest getting together with an AS member that's close to you. Or, you can buy a tach and tune it per the factory specs for idle rpm and WOT rpm.

I followed the instructions in my echo manual to turn the idle down 1/4 turn under the point the chain doesn't move at idle. I think it should get me in the ball park

I guess I do suck. Lol my collection grew rather quickly.

Any members in edm? Or recommendation of a tach in canada?

Full wrap goodness, you did real good on that!
First your implying that northerb ab throw money around , now I did real good?

Don't they come with a full wrap on the xpg?

Either way im happy. Be better if the 24 bar and chain were in better shape. I have more money into my cs500p than my 372xpg.
Less than a week ago o didn't understand the need for multiple saws ( small trees mostly soft and lots of poor growth) but now having 2 is a godsend.

I must say the cs500 is getting better I turned the idle up as the manual said to do. Ran another 2 tanks through it. Clutch and engine are both stronger mainly the clutch though. 50cc is my go to saw in the tighter akward spots. But speed and power of the 372 makes ya smile. They dont even sound the same!
Echo is a mild mannerd town car and the 372 is a snort'n hotrod

Yep I'm from the Edmonton area (wabamun). I saw your 372 on kijiji. Helluva nice saw! You're gonna enjoy it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yup kijiji is where I got it. Kind of makes me wonder. He said he had 2 365 I saw one torn apart in a tote .
Said he needed money to get to work yet drove 2hrs to meet me. Then after I bought he said time to go back to work to buy another.

Donnie you don't happen to have a tach do ya?

Sounds like a bit of a shady character. But hey at least you got a good deal! No I don't have a tach. I'm fairly new to this CAD thing too and that is one thing on my "to buy list" along with a compression tester.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

First your implying that northerb ab throw money around , now I did real good?

Don't they come with a full wrap on the xpg?

Either way im happy. Be better if the 24 bar and chain were in better shape. I have more money into my cs500p than my 372xpg.
Less than a week ago o didn't understand the need for multiple saws ( small trees mostly soft and lots of poor growth) but now having 2 is a godsend.

I must say the cs500 is getting better I turned the idle up as the manual said to do. Ran another 2 tanks through it. Clutch and engine are both stronger mainly the clutch though. 50cc is my go to saw in the tighter akward spots. But speed and power of the 372 makes ya smile. They dont even sound the same!
Echo is a mild mannerd town car and the 372 is a snort'n hotrod

372's have a very unique sound. My favourite sounding saw.
For that Echo, all ya need to do with it is remove the spark deflector and there is a little tube inside that slips right out, and you have a quick muffler mod. It will perk it up and sound much better(and there's no internal baffle on the 500 if I read it right). Just remember to retune it once that's done. WIth a MM,the power to weight ratio on that Echo is stunning. Some folks forget that it weighs a full pound less than a 346xp. Edge and Engine put it on a scale at 10.7 lbs.

185083d1306253431-017-jpg

original.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the cs500p for the light weight and egronomics. I am a fairly systematic guy so I like to see changes. Ill do a mm after 10 tanks. Then ill bring out my die grinder and go to town on it.
But a tach wont be too usefull once I do a mm as it will run a higer rpm then no? Better to just set it to 4stroke?

Also in my searches I read 08f150 has a post on a mm and tuning a cs500p but I can't find his thread.
Any help ... plus the search terms you entered to find.

372's have a very unique sound. My favourite sounding saw.
For that Echo, all ya need to do with it is remove the spark deflector and there is a little tube inside that slips right out, and you have a quick muffler mod. It will perk it up and sound much better(and there's no internal baffle on the 500 if I read it right). Just remember to retune it once that's done. WIth a MM,the power to weight ratio on that Echo is stunning. Some folks forget that it weighs a full pound less than a 346xp. Edge and Engine put it on a scale at 10.7 lbs.

185083d1306253431-017-jpg

original.jpg

For some clarification when the echo was new I let it idle for about 4mins. Held it above a stump and idle up and down then wot and back several times and made sure I saw a line of oil on the stump. Then went hard at it. It never touched dirt as I was an inch off the ground.

At one inch off the ground you touched lots of dirt. When it rains dirt and debris splashes up on the trunk and leaves a nice coating on the outside of the tree. Some also gets embedded in the bark as the tree grows so it's never clean wood down there.

Stumping is hard on bars and chains.

I really like the cs500p for the light weight and egronomics. I am a fairly systematic guy so I like to see changes. Ill do a mm after 10 tanks. Then ill bring out my die grinder and go to town on it.
But a tach wont be too usefull once I do a mm as it will run a higer rpm then no? Better to just set it to 4stroke?

Also in my searches I read 08f150 has a post on a mm and tuning a cs500p but I can't find his thread.
Any help ... plus the search terms you entered to find.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/172970-7.htm#post3322127 for the MM. I wouldn't bother waiting on the MM, myself. But I would have ported mine by now ;)

This is how my Echo CS520 sounded after an MM and some mild porting:

Echo CS-520 Ported - YouTube

20130820_115512.jpg

Thought id throw some of this one in

Sure is a lot of dust on your saw! Either your cutting pucky/rotten wood or your chain needs some loving care desperately! I believe I am beginning to understand why you are unhappy with your cutting speed.

I understand that you have already aquired another saw by now but I believe that you aquired for your needs the wrong saw in the beginning! I believe you would have been much happier with a 600p or if you wanted to save a few bucks the 590.

Sure is a lot of dust on your saw! Either your cutting pucky/rotten wood or your chain needs some loving care desperately! I believe I am beginning to understand why you are unhappy with your cutting speed.

I understand that you have already aquired another saw by now but I believe that you aquired for your needs the wrong saw in the beginning! I believe you would have been much happier with a 600p or if you wanted to save a few bucks the 590.

That saw ain't dirty... That's still kinda pretty...
I think he's liking his cs500 now that he can use it for it's intended purpose and has a handle on sharpening chains...

Why do you say the 600 or 590 would have been better suited.
That fine dust was after 10mins of cutting with the brand new chain. Lots of gross dead wood. Some Chesnut birch poplar spruce. Several trees I fell I just pushed over.
I do notice a huge difference between a freshly sharpened chain and a dull one. Cutting alot of this it doesn't stay sharp long.
Ran 1 more tank through and it feels like it has an honest 40% more power. The bar wants to lift when I pull the trigger now.
Only problem is going to wot it periodically bogs.

Reason I don't mod it yet is ill take it back to the dealer for a tune up and hopefully they show me a bit on how to set it. Plus if its going to blow up it's within the first 10 tanks (or less)

Btw the 372 is a beast!

Why do you say the 600 or 590 would have been better suited.
That fine dust was after 10mins of cutting with the brand new chain. Lots of gross dead wood. Some Chesnut birch poplar spruce. Several trees I fell I just pushed over.
I do notice a huge difference between a freshly sharpened chain and a dull one. Cutting alot of this it doesn't stay sharp long.
Ran 1 more tank through and it feels like it has an honest 40% more power. The bar wants to lift when I pull the trigger now.
Only problem is going to wot it periodically bogs.

Reason I don't mod it yet is ill take it back to the dealer for a tune up and hopefully they show me a bit on how to set it. Plus if its going to blow up it's within the first 10 tanks (or less)

Btw the 372 is a beast!

If the throttle is snappy on the low end, but wants to fall on it's face a little before revving up, you need more fuel on the high side. The 2 screws H and L on your carb... L will be the closest to the cylinder, H will be right next to it.
Turn H screw counter clockwise bout 1/8 - 1/4 turn to allow more fuel at WOT.
If the limiting tabs will not allow you to do that, get it to your dealer and have them remedy that. As the saw is still under warrantee.. Or just remove them yourself if you could care less about it.

And yes, 372's are just nasty... With a deep rooted hatred of wood...

Latest posts

Back