Bought new log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staywarm53

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Home depot had 10% off with new acct. Gave me 0% for a year, even though they advertised 6 months. I'll pay it off in 9 months.

I wanted the 8 hp honda, but they didn't have one in stock(another $800 and weeks to get). I took the 5.5 Honda(MTD), 27 tons. It works wonderful! ! It is splitting logs 20 in long, 28 in in diameter. That is why I wanted it , for the vertical ability(i'm not able to pick up 27 in dia. logs . My PTO splitter is horizontal only. The 2 stage pump is what makes it perform so well on the new system.

staywarm53 said:
... I wanted it , for the vertical ability(i'm not able to pick up 27 in dia. logs .

Most of us can't, oddly enough! :D

Let us know how it goes after a few cords, will you please? I need a splitter, but can't afford one. However, I may have to put one on credit anyway. If I do, I want the smallest one that will get the job done. Not usually the cheapest way to go in the long run, because overstressed machinery doesn't last as long, but it might be what I have to do to get by for now.

I got a monster maul from Iron & Oak, and that thing is sweet, but it still doesn't split those 27 inch and up logs very well! :laugh:

Picked up the same one last year same deal. It has split everything I have thrown at it with no problems. I just split about two cords of maple that were all over 3' in diameter. Not the fastest cycle time but nothing to complain about. Get's the job done with ease.

BlueRidgeMark said:
Most of us can't, oddly enough! :D

Let us know how it goes after a few cords, will you please? I need a splitter, but can't afford one. However, I may have to put one on credit anyway. If I do, I want the smallest one that will get the job done. Not usually the cheapest way to go in the long run, because overstressed machinery doesn't last as long, but it might be what I have to do to get by for now.

I got a monster maul from Iron & Oak, and that thing is sweet, but it still doesn't split those 27 inch and up logs very well! :laugh:

If i was selling wood, I would have a big one.
but I think that this splitter will do anything a homeowner needs.I'm planning on at least 8 cords this winter. Like hammer0410 said , it's not real fast, but it gets the job done. With the 2 stage pump, it just builds up pressure and splits it. I've probably split almost 2 cords, about half normal size and half BIG rounds.. It goes from horizontal to vertical or vice versa in about 5 seconds !
Home depot will give you 12 mos, even if if they are advertising 6 mos. just say Lowes has 12 months, works every time :) I always make sure they are paid off before the 12 mos or you have to pay ALL the interest.. ouch !

The lumber yard guy said I get 8 cords of logs for $ 400, is that about the going rate ?

Staywarm53 - Decided not to mess with the old PTO splitter eh? I can understand not wanting to lift those big rounds. Them suckers can get mighty heavy. Sounds to me like ya got a heck of a splitter too. I don't think I know of anything that a 27 ton splitter shouldn't be able to whack in half, pretty easy. Here's to stayin' warm on cold days :rock:

old splitter works good

jags said:
Staywarm53 - Decided not to mess with the old PTO splitter eh? I can understand not wanting to lift those big rounds. Them suckers can get mighty heavy. Sounds to me like ya got a heck of a splitter too. I don't think I know of anything that a 27 ton splitter shouldn't be able to whack in half, pretty easy. Here's to stayin' warm on cold days :rock:

The old splitter works great, just the big logs are impossible to pick up. I have a huge maple tree that is losing about 8 limbs a year to a lightning strike. It's probably 48 in in diameter. I'm hoping that is stabalizes and quit losing limbs, but you can see one side of the tree has a long damage seam. I'll probably have to cut it down next year or the year after. I need to remove the dead limbs now but my ladder is 32 foot and the limbs are around 45 foot :(

lightning

hammer0419 said:
Throw a few metal objects up on the limbs you want down and let the lightning take care of it!:hmm3grin2orange:
I have been so lucky. The trees are getting hit ,not the house. 2 giant maples have been struck, one 35 yards away(it will live), one 30 yards away(dont know if it will survive) and one 70 foot pine tree 60 yards away from house, which is now 50 feet tall and dead. It looks like someone set off a stick of dynamite in the top :)

can I burn pine ?????

staywarm53 said:
can I burn pine ?????

YES!

You might hear some old wive's tales about pine making a lot of creosote. Tell that to the many people who burn nothing else because that's what they have. It's the most burned wood in North American because it's the most plentiful.

Pine is fine. Clean your chimney once in a while and you'll have no problem.

BlueRidgeMark said:
YES!

You might hear some old wive's tales about pine making a lot of creosote. Tell that to the many people who burn nothing else because that's what they have. It's the most burned wood in North American because it's the most plentiful.

Pine is fine. Clean your chimney once in a while and you'll have no problem.

I always have to clean the chimney ! The birds or a condor or something, makes a nest in it every year :)

Back