Bow Bar pro’s n con’s?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I happen to be from Wisconsin and have never seen a bow saw up here. Am a retired truck driver and hauled a lot of paper out of paper mills in southern states, back then bow saws were very popular down in some of the southern states and I always wondered why so it’s been very interesting reading this thread. Yes to me bow saws always looked extra dangerous.

I happen to be from Wisconsin and have never seen a bow saw up here. Am a retired truck driver and hauled a lot of paper out of paper mills in southern states, back then bow saws were very popular down in some of the southern states and I always wondered why so it’s been very interesting reading this thread. Yes to me bow saws always looked extra dangerous.
They used the Bow Saw for a Pulpwood saw not a Logging saw, you found them mostly on the logging ramp where they were bucking mostly and cutting short wood. If you had an 18" bow saw that meant it would cut up to an 18" log. The weight of the bow saw would work to your advantage, since the saw would self-feed all you had to do is hold onto the handle to control the saw. If you were cutting short wood that was a lot of cuts a day, and by the end of the day you would see the advantage of the Bow Saw. It made a really good firewood saw where you made a lot of cuts, but remember it's not a good limbing saw,I always used a Bar for cut down and limbing and used the Bow to buck it all up.

Back