Boy Scouts Kill felling a tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can a tree being felled that lands on a highway killing a motorcyclist be termed an "accident"? I have to agree, lack of supervision coupled with poor planning and skills caused this.

How can a tree being felled that lands on a highway killing a motorcyclist be termed an "accident"? I have to agree, lack of supervision coupled with poor planning and skills caused this.
Police Departments do not call them accidents anymore. They call them collisions. They are well aware of the fact that there is no such thing as an accident.

You would think the boy scout leaders have a duty of care to make sure all appropiate safety measure were being undertaken

Whenever working with trees close to a roadway we at the MDOT must have flaggers. When a tree is ready to fall the flaggers stop traffic when the tree is for certin clear of the roadway and safely off the road the flaggers release traffic. Just in case...

The article indicated that the 2 Scouts responsible had wandered away from the main group. I suspect they should have been taking downed wood, boils down to lack of supervision.

If those pics are of the accident, where is the road? The bike looks like its in the middle of the woods.

If you look at the upper right corner of the picture, you can see some people standing on what appears to be a road...
photoLarge_2835.jpg

Latest posts

Back