Bragging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't that a communist state with high taxes and cost of living , no thanks I'll stay down here in the sticks

Another thread turning into a Womenfolk Are Objects, Not People With Brains thread.
Thanks to modern laws of physics they can be both. Having a woman who's an object is generally more satisfying than a woman who's a concept, although the latter is the subject of countless tragedies throughout human history.

Isn't that a communist state with high taxes and cost of living , no thanks I'll stay down here in the sticks
PA isn't too far off. Housing costs look slightly lower than either VT or NH. Lower population density makes for less competition for resources, though, so it's easy to find ways to save $$. And MA and NY are the ones to avoid. We're constantly seeing an influx of people though so we're always happy with those who volunteer to live somewhere else.

And NH gets to brag that we still have no personal income tax.

must be.. the second responder said this:
I just read that article and it sounds like the whole pacific northwest sucks for single guys. The women are fat, ugly, unfriendly and anti-social!
icon_razz.gif

Thanks to modern laws of physics they can be both. Having a woman who's an object is generally more satisfying than a woman who's a concept, although the latter is the subject of countless tragedies throughout human history.

PA isn't too far off. Housing costs look slightly lower than either VT or NH. Lower population density makes for less competition for resources, though, so it's easy to find ways to save $$. And MA and NY are the ones to avoid. We're constantly seeing an influx of people though so we're always happy with those who volunteer to live somewhere else.

And NH gets to brag that we still have no personal income tax.

we were checking out some homes in that state. kinda expensive, but the taxes off-set that.

i live in monroe county, NY and i can only brag that we're the highest tax-rate in the nation. living in NYS is a killer financially and when the wife retires we're moving out...some where in the north. why people would ever want to move into NYS is beyond me.

"And NH gets to brag that we still have no personal income tax."

But don't you have extremely high property tax or the politician's make it up in others ways? That is the way my friend in Dover NH was explaining it on a visit to his place several years ago.

But don't you have extremely high property tax or the politician's make it up in others ways? That is the way my friend in Dover NH was explaining it on a visit to his place several years ago.

I've never owned a home in another state so I can't really comment on relative cost. But here, from town to town there can be large variation in taxes. I pay $3600 / year for 5 acres, a 2300 sq ft home, and a 25 X 50 barn. Same place 28 miles south would be more than double. But average income in that town is $96,000/ home where average income in our town is $53,000. I couldn't afford to buy my home in that town, let alone pay taxes on it. Many of the programs paid for by residents here are fee based so the money spent goes to the department / activity where it's coming from. There are nowhere near as many freebie programs, either. NH is relatively frugal. And there is a reduced property tax rate for people below a certain income level and reduced taxes for the elderly.

I can tell you from year to year, I generally know what my tax bill will be. It's my property tax. There are no extra excise taxes and no sales taxes on most items. That's nice. Generally when out of staters add up excise, sales, and income taxes paid they end up at or above NH tax levels relative to their income.

Dover is probably one of the more expensive towns to live in.

We love to vacation on Lake Bomoseen. Every time I'm up there, I try to figure out a way to make my next stay permanent. But the overall economy just doesn't seem to allow it, and that seems to be the #1 reason why people are leaving the state. (I also hate the fact that my vote would be wasted, but I live in NJ, which isn't any better. And NJ women DON'T smell like maple syrup, which is another point in VT's favor!)

Not so, my friend. More of a Yankee "Good fences make good neighbors" lifestyle. As a matter of fact, the reason the State is 80% forest and the rivers are clean is because you'll find farmers, lumberjacks, hunters and fisherman, the tourism people, and long-haired hippies all working together to keep it this way.
As far as I'm concerned, taxes are too high everywhere.

Pretty sure nj leads the country in property taxes unfortunately at more than twice the national average. People can ***** all they want about the expensive states but there is plenty of money to make if you are motivated.

And to whoever complained about Vermont beer, doesn't know squat. Not only are there some incredible brews coming from there, they also have more breweries per capita than any other state.

News from Vermont. We up here in the Green Mountains can brag we have the highest per-capita reliance of wood as the primary heating source of any State in the country. This year, one of every three kids in Vermont goes to school from a home that is heated with wood. Plus, 80% of the State is forest, with an abundance of hardwoods, most notably maple, beech, birch.
I also think our foliage is beautiful, our winters are perfect, and our women are the prettiest!
But what about all the smog and particulate from all those wood fires!? youre ruining the environment 'n stuff!!! you should be burning more fracked nat-gas!!!!!!

Definitely, don't move here. Go to Vermont. Maybe you can talk other's from the PNW to move there too.
Another thread turning into a Womenfolk Are Objects, Not People With Brains thread. Sorry Vermont guy, your OP was good, but it's the others turning it into another sexist thread. And yes, I'm raining on your parade.

You got a point dude.

Sorry to further rain on your parade, but slowp is not a dude - she's a well-trained and experienced forester, and from what a hear, a fine cook as well. She get's a little huffy about all the testosterone that's usually flung about here, but she holds her own quite well. Just remember that she wants a whole lot more neighbors to live near her, so please seriously consider moving to SW Warshington. :D

And to whoever complained about Vermont beer, doesn't know squat. Not only are there some incredible brews coming from there

Yeah that would be me. Name some names so I can try them when I'm up there in February. I'm not into beer that is bitter as hell so I'm curious as to something that has real taste.....

As to SlowP trying to derail yet another thread....it's got to be a sad life going around trying to pee in everyone else's pool constantly. Why don't you find a forum that has folks with the same values as you and stay there as this sure isn't the place for you.

PS the "don't move here" bit was funny for two or three posts. Now it's just stupid.

I've got several friends and acquaintances in VT. These people are salt of the earth folks. Hard to believe they are only 4 hours from the rat race of NYC and Boston.

Oh and a plug for Wood Fired Pizza of Manchester Center. Some of the best pizza I've had anywhere.

Definitely, don't move here. Go to Vermont. Maybe you can talk other's from the PNW to move there too.

Another thread turning into a Womenfolk Are Objects, Not People With Brains thread. Sorry Vermont guy, your OP was good, but it's the others turning it into another sexist thread. And yes, I'm raining on your parade.
Hey slowp, Just so you know, I truly meant no offense. The "prettiest" remark was mean in the same way I might have said to a female audience that all of us guys here in VT are handsome because we grow our beards out. Regardless, I'm sorry if it came across wrong.
Having said that, what I've found across the country is that women and men have a higher degree of respect for one another if they share physical labor. There's something about being able to actually perform a hard task, with all the brains and brawn required, that makes for a level playing field. Sure there are men who stereotype women, and vice versa, but a lot of times this breaks down when there's work that needs to get done before dark, the approaching storm, etc. Perhaps it's the recognizition that we all stink when we sweat.

I've got several friends and acquaintances in VT. These people are salt of the earth folks. Hard to believe they are only 4 hours from the rat race of NYC and Boston.

Oh and a plug for Wood Fired Pizza of Manchester Center. Some of the best pizza I've had anywhere.
My son and I stumbled upon that pizza place. You're right, it's great.

My son and I stumbled upon that pizza place. You're right, it's great.
There's also a couple of good Mexican joints there (both names escape me but they are east of the roundabout downtown). One is a sit down restaurant and the other is a burrito joint. And Zoe's deli is great although pricey.

Latest posts

Back