Brand New Jonsered 2166 Will Not Start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just looked it up and it looks like a top of the line commercial saw, 70cc.

Nice score, keep us informed of what’s wrong, curious to see what they missed at the factory.

Gonna make a friendly bet that it is no spark in which something is not grounded properly. :) hopefully it’s that easy

Hopefully, when I get it running, it will be a housewarming gift for my nephew!
Ha Cool!
The MS260 I have- I bought for my nephew when he was in H/S. When he moved to Las Vegas & I came to Oregon
he told me to hang on to it for him, cause he had no use for it and I 'Wood' up here. :chop:Good Kid!
And BSB65- you're a great Uncle! :yes:

If it had been me, I'd give him one of my saws he had been eye balling.

Steve

I had thought about that, but most of my stuff is pretty old. I want him to start with something new. He has a 4 year old, and you know how much time that leaves for tinkering on "vintage" equipment. I will tell him that some day down the road, some Chainsaw addict on one of those crazy online forums will likely want that Jonnyred he has to complete a collection, and he can move it on for a saw he may be wanting.

I had thought about that, but most of my stuff is pretty old. I want him to start with something new. He has a 4 year old, and you know how much time that leaves for tinkering on "vintage" equipment. I will tell him that some day down the road, some Chainsaw addict on one of those crazy online forums will likely want that Jonnyred he has to complete a collection, and he can move it on for a saw he may be wanting.
Blah, blah, blah. Lol. We want to know if you have it running.

I would have thought you pulled the starter rope at the TS store, and then pulled the muffler after sensing a possible straight gassed saw. Sounds like this could become a project saw.

Will try to get some time this weekend. Gave it some pulls yesterday, and not liking how it feels. I don't want to think someone straight gassed it.
Will pull the muff and get a peak soon. I will keep you all posted.
Well, have you had a chance to check it out yet?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Ok, here is the latest..

When I examined it in the TS store, it looked pristine. Bar was perfect, and the chain was brand new. No dust/dirt visible anywhere. Cashier said "brand new, customer returned because it did not start". I was not able to pull clutch cover off, as nuts were on pretty tight.
When I got it home and started breaking it down, it had been used to do some cutting. There was a hint of sawdust and bar oil inside the cover. As I took it down more (muffler off, starter housing off), it was super clean in those areas, so not much mileage at all. I am guessing 1 tank at best. I drained the remaining fuel out, and it was mix, so I was less worried about it being straight gassed.
So, in the store, I pulled, and it turned, and compression felt great. That was 3-4 days before I actually brought it home. So, as I pull it more at home, it gets harder (sorry, no other way to put it!)
Now, it feels "blocked". The starter flywheel is unobstructed, but has only about 1" of forward/backward play with a hard end stop either way. Through the exhaust port, I can see the top of the piston. Rings look perfect, and the top 1/4 inch of the piston looks pristine.
Any ideas before I blow this thing apart?

Learning a lot so far, but need more knowledge!

Just a story, and maybe about how simple this might be.

Firewood cutting buddy was given a junked saw. Saw had quite working, previous owner said it just stopped working and he took it to a dealer. Dealer did something and said it was DOA. That sometimes it happens. A new saw was purchased and the pronounced dead saw was given away as a gift. My buddy took it apart, found a ring was broken, replaced the ring and the saw fired up like new. He offered the saw back to the original owner, who said keep it, you earned it.

If memory serves
4mm exhaust bracket x2
5mm muffler bolts in the tubes x2
4mm cylinder and one on the wrap x5
3mm carb bolts x2
Disconnect throttle cable
Fuel and pulse.
Pop choke lever loose and pull out of grommet.
The boot and carb can come off as a unit.
Cake saws to work on.
Take pics

Latest posts

Back