Bring back the old version

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let the members decide

Take a Poll,

I tried to post twice and both times I went to preview the post...the site was too busy and I lost everything. What do I think of the new format, I think it stinks.

This is like a politician or official knowing what's good for you when you KNOW what's good for you. This is the same type progress as Cat mufflers. If the previous format was so terrible I think a few brave members would have summoned the courage and said so.

One step forward...three back in this case.

btw I copied this post prior to posting just in case...:dizzy:

Last edited:
All my PMs were preserved across the upgrade. But if I don't get a "server too busy" message I get an "unresponsive script" message with almost every page I load. I never had these problems with the old version.

For every reason mentioned and them some, I am currently NOT liking the way things are working, or not working with this site.

PITA to post a picture in my response as well. It may take some getting used to, but I don't like the overall look of things, difficult to make distinctions between stickies, posts I have/havne't looked at, etc.

What's the trick to putting pics in with your response. I can root around a find a pic, but can't copy the shortcut and past it in like we could before?......Cliff

Since they adjusted the borders and redid the classifieds i like the new version. Altho i would love to have a feature where it has an icon next to the thread that i posted in.

i got up up y\thid morning hating the new format. went for a round of out-patient shoulder surgery, and when i finally came out of the drug induced haze, there was some definite improvement. now, if they will get rid of that background that looks like it belongs on another saw forum, i will be much happier. the old color combo was much easier to read for extended time.
and i thought RS was hacked and was supposed to be coming back?

And what are you, some old fogey that can't accept change? Probably cuts trees with an axe and hauls 'em out with a horse?

The site is better....

I'm not usually one to chime in and you have been a member longer then I but must not post much. Everyone has opinions and in an open forum weather you like them or not you are gonna get them. As for ragging on guys like Bill G...They have been here longer them both you and I together. As far as I'm concerned their opinion counts more then anyone elses cause w/o those guys this site isn't ####. It's just another usless forum with no real knowledge and a bunch of idiots starting threads about "what oil should I run". Those elderly members is what runs this place and makes it so great

You pretty much nailed it, I gave my opinion, like it or lump it. Furthermore, I don't give a rat's a** if he has been here longer than Christ was a cowboy, he has no right to "demand" that it be changed back. It is Darin's site, his is the only opinion that counts, and he can change the format every day of the week if he wants. The sooner that these "elderly" users get that, the better, it's Darin that runs the place, not them!

I'm not usually one to chime in and you have been a member longer then I but must not post much. Everyone has opinions and in an open forum weather you like them or not you are gonna get them. As for ragging on guys like Bill G...They have been here longer them both you and I together. As far as I'm concerned their opinion counts more then anyone elses cause w/o those guys this site isn't ####. It's just another usless forum with no real knowledge and a bunch of idiots starting threads about "what oil should I run". Those elderly members is what runs this place and makes it so great

My load time for pages in this thread seem to be way longer than before, and there aren't even any pics embedded. I have dsl 1.5, not fast by today's standards, but no slouch either.
Scott

Well it's better than it was since they added some color. But still not better than the old version. I have not had the problem with it not being full screen. I can deal with it. (I guess)

It's definately something new...and change isn't always welcome. My biggest complaint so far is the font size...just much tougher to read posts. Something I'm sure that would be easy to change.

And what are you, some old fogey that can't accept change? Probably cuts trees with an axe and hauls 'em out with a horse?....

A couple mouse clicks will show you that you could not be further from the truth.

Bill

The biggest complaint that I have with the new format is the navigation feature. Before , when I got to the bottom of the page that I was looking at all I had to do was click on "chainsaws" or whatever forum I was on and it would take me back to the main page, now i have to scroll back down on the navigation feature to do that. Not the end of the world but the old way was a little more convenient.

Anybody notice that Darin and the mods are curiously silent and absent during this whole thing?

I'd like to hear what they have to say about the recent changes.

I'd like to know what their reaction to all the discontent is.

I'd like to know their reasons for such radical change.

Now...I'd like another cup of coffee.

Hey Bob, i'll take a stab at that if you really want to know. First off, I got, and I presume the other mods got just as much notice about the change as you got. I got home, turned on AS and whoah, puke green and white.
However, I did not see an immediate need for complaining, tears, whining or bellyaching about it simply because I know that Darin works hard at the site, is proud of it, wants it to be enjoyable and sure as heck will get the bugs worked out.
Did I like it......nope. I really think the color choice should have been addressed by the new admin much quicker that it was, but all in all........it took approximately 1 day. I still don't care for the avocado, puke green reminiscent of a 1960's shag rug, but I remain hopeful that we will get back to the forest green of days gone by. I don't know why there are gray bars down the side of the screen. I know the trading post is kaput, but that was always a phbb type of thingy kinda duct taped to the vbulliten software. Looks like there is a replacement called classifieds now. I have not had to do anything to my screen size, I got the gray bars, but I still have a basically or almost full screen.
As for functionality, sure it's changed but probably for the better, it's just gonna take some getting used to, then these are gonna be the good ole days when we see the next change.

I do also see that it's faster, not sure why exactly, just that it is. On the moderation side, we seem to have picked up some new anti-spammer hacks and I have great hopes for those. You may or may not really appreciate just how many of those chinese/pakistani spam bots are already on board, but it's a bunch and notably we have not seen as much spam. The spam killer is automated, no need for the overwhelming tiring policing and execution of those buggers anymore. Some will get by, but should be much more manageable, hopefully.

So now you know what I know......which ain't much more than you already knew. ;)

I was just over in the classifieds(chainsaws & parts) looking at stuff I can't buy:cry:and was wondering how many pics can be put up and can you see the join date of the seller?Maybe I missed it,I have started bringing in the new year early:givebeer:Got to get them smilie things bigger.Have to check out "ckeck spelling",seems I have to download something to get it.Wish the posts were a different color than the signature.Could do without the rep thing.Rep is set for the dumbest things.

Happy new year to everyone:cheers:

Last edited:
Back