broke finger splitting wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I exploded the tip of my right index finger a couple years ago in a similar situation.

Log + end plate + finger in between = Pfft. Popped like a zit.

I was happy that that splitter had the wedge on the ram. Other way around and I would be shooting with my middle finger.

I did the same thing in a momentary lapse and ended up with 5 stitches in my third finger. At first I thought I had crushed my left hand.

I have a wedge on ram splitter. I was splitting a knotty piece about 8 inch diameter. It was not splitting so I thought I would reposition it. It was stuck on the wedge so I backed it up to dislodge it. It shot off the wedge like missile and smashed, broke and cut my finger. Between the log and end plate. Never had one come off with this much force.
So sorry for you 066blaster; hope you have a speedy recovery.

My hand was somewhere between the log and the end plate. When I retracted the ram with the stuck log on it, it hit the little thingies that dis lodge it and bang. It's was like it shot out of a cannon. My whole hand was in there but really only hurt my finger. The vicoden isn't working at all . I probably won't get any sleep tonight. It was a crotch piece from a limb.

Could have been worse. Learn anything?

Learn anything?
Awwww man... that's rubbin' salt in the wound (although, I briefly thought about askin' the same thing).
Really, I think it's more like reaffirming what a fella' already knows... or is aware of.

Personally I don't agree with the ideology that accidents "will" happen... but I do acknowledge that accidents "do" happen. We "learn" from mistakes, we "reaffirm" from accidents... I see a distinction between the two. A mistake is made because of the lack of prior knowledge, teaching, experience or even common sense... and we learn from it (hopefully). Accidents are called accidents because that's what they are, accidents, something that didn't have to happen, or could have been avoided because of prior knowledge, teaching, experience or even common sense... and we reaffirm (or affirm if you'd rather) what we already knew (shrug)

Ok... so much for my philosophy (as if anyone gives sour owl crap about it).

Yes I will keep my hand clear from now on. Just never thought the log would fly off like that. I think I was just resting my hand on it so it wouldn't roll off when it broke loose.

Awwww man... that's rubbin' salt in the wound (although, I briefly thought about askin' the same thing).
Really, I think it's more like reaffirming what a fella' already knows... or is aware of.

Personally I don't agree with the ideology that accidents "will" happen... but I do acknowledge that accidents "do" happen. We "learn" from mistakes, we "reaffirm" from accidents... I see a distinction between the two. A mistake is made because of the lack of prior knowledge, teaching, experience or even common sense... and we learn from it (hopefully). Accidents are called accidents because that's what they are, accidents, something that didn't have to happen, or could have been avoided because of prior knowledge, teaching, experience or even common sense... and we reaffirm (or affirm if you'd rather) what we already knew (shrug)

Ok... so much for my philosophy (as if anyone gives sour owl crap about it).

Man, thats really deep thinking. Pretty much true also.

Man! What a bummer. I hope you're not left-handed. I don't know where I would be if I lost the use of my nose-picking finger. I doubt my wife or kids would help me out in that department. Get well soon!

Better start practicing with other fingers or using a utensil. Never rely on all your boogers to be picked with only one finger.

Yes I will keep my hand clear from now on. Just never thought the log would fly off like that. I think I was just resting my hand on it so it wouldn't roll off when it broke loose.
I would not have expected that either. Posting this may help prevent others from sharing your experience.

Thanks again, and hope you heal quickly.

Philbert

Yep, I've seen the identical thing happen but I was lucky enough not to have my hand between the wood and the foot plate. You always worry about the force the ram has but you overlook the stored energy in a partially split log .

I had a moment of poor judgment when I attempted to pull a stuck 8"-10" dia. Red Oak round off the ram after it started slipping out off the front of the wedge..guess where my fingers where ..yep , in the crevice! Sure I could have just waited for the shredders to do their job but what fun would have that been?

I wiggled the split until it slipped down the wedge and clamped down on all four of the fingers , felt like my hand was in a vice. I then was forced to put the wood back in the splitter and use the ram to open the gap and free my hand. I reaped the rewards of being a dumbass buy having a broken pinky finger and four ugly black fingernails.

I have had Honey Locust snap and spank me in the stones a few times.
Seems as if i always hold on to the side of the log i am splitting from anymore.
Hope you heal well and fast.

I hope you're getting better. Could have been worse.

A buddy of mine had s similar accident break the ring finger on his felt hand. About two weeks before he was to get married. And, get this, his bride-to-be is a psychologist. He heard all kinds of talk about subconscious impulses! Happily, they are two good people who were able to laugh about it, the wedding went through, and they recently had a baby boy.

I was doing some referb work on my Speeco today and was seriously considering cutting the stuck block thing off my splitter due to the fact that it now does nothing. I didn't cut it off but I will sooner or later. Just another spot to get my hand caught. I was splitting today and using a different style of gloves, they were kind of a sticky type of rubber. I mashed my finger 2 different times because the gloves didn't slide like my other ones do, those things are going back in the mitt drawer. s9.jpg

Personally I don't agree with the ideology that accidents "will" happen... but I do acknowledge that accidents "do" happen.

In Safety we define accidents as unplanned, or unintended events. The question of whether they could be foreseen or prevented, depends somewhat on your point of reference (as I think you were alluding to). Looking at large numbers of injury reports, we can sometimes see common factors that an individual might never see, or which are not 'obvious', even to an experienced worker.

That's why it is so helpful for the OP to have shared the details of his experience, which may help prevent other occurrences, at least among those who read this thread.

Philbert

066 poop happens man. Listen to your doctors and give it the time it needs to heal. I messed my right hand pinkie finger up BAD a couple years ago. Wish I had a pic cause it was just dangling like a limp noodle. Waited about half the time the doc said and now I only have probably 80% of use back. As soon as I could stand it I took all the bandages and splint off. I slowy felt better and regained mobility every day. Then one day......it stopped getting better. I don't think its ever gonna be 100% and I really belive its because I was a @$$ and rushed it back to work. Learn from my mistake and give it time to heal!

I hate seeing stuff like this happen to people. Log splitters are just evil man, but necessary! This previous new years eve I learned the hard way, some days you should just stay inside but I'm stubborn. Went out to split and not long after I started the girlfriend came out to help. Well seeing as how I always take the ***** work I thought I'd let her run the lever, her first, and last time ever. My mistake was getting in a routine but being on the opposite side of the splitter, and she was runnin that lever awesome IMO! Fast, no waste of time waiting. When I hollered " I just lost my finger", I though even I was kidding, until I ripped my glove off, which you're not suppose to do. I really thought I was kidding though, just felt a little smoooshed.

It's amazing the the amount of energy stored in a piece of wood, and not just for burning. We've split rounds before that just POP right out, so of course the following 10 splits have us standing there with one hand covering our junk, jokingly of course but you never know. I stand back and let the machine do the work now but with my hot rod attitude it was a matter of time. Will it change how I operate? Maybe, hopefully that comes with more maturity. Either way I was out splitting the next day, I hate down time.

Hope you heal fast!

Geez Cody that sucks! Did they put it back on? My pinkie was danggling backwards but thank god it was still attached.

Latest posts

Back