Brush and debris pile burning in cold weather?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. The ban, at this point anyway, will end in April, so I may have all summer to give it another try. If we hit a dry spell, who knows. What gets me it is a State Wide ban due to "dry winter" is some parts of the State, but her it's been wet as can be. Oh well.
I am truly not sure what parameters they use here to call for a "burn ban". In general the vast majority of folks around here use common sense and it is not an issue. We have large areas of CRP/Native Prairie Grass that must be burned on a regular schedule. It is not uncommon to lite up 80 acres at a time. About 35 years ago my cousin was burning a large area of old Sudex grass. It was a easy peasy controlled burn with bodies of water (the Mississippi River/upper ditch) on two sides. The other two sides were plowed ground. It was going nowhere. Well some nosey Nellie saw the big flames and called the volunteer fire department. Since that had to respond they came out. It was comical but almost tragic also as a young guy was on one of the trucks and started out across the field. My father and the others are yelling at him to stop because he was headed right for a wetland area. He did stop but a wee bit further and he would have been buried in mud. Had he done that it would have been hours winching him out and there could have been a real fire to fight.

I did not read far enough. I dug a "pit" about a foot or less deep, on the advice of the "pro" that took down 3 huge white pine between my house and the power lines. Like 20 ft from the house and with a lean. I did not feel confident enough to do it myself.

He had chipped up everything from that job and I had called him back to quote me on chipping up residue from the 4 other pines I dropped myself. He begged off and advised that I just burn it all, suggesting a small pit rimmed with rocks. Got lots of those. He also suggested the leaf blower approach to speed things up.

I see your point about it hindering air flow, and thought that myself a while back. Mechanical thumb, but I guess I can pull it all out, if need be. Was thinking of doing that anyway to put a mess of "I don't really want that in the house" firewood in the hole as "kindling" for next time.

Smoke is only a problem as there is a pet parrot in the house and they are pretty sensitive to toxins. While I can keep things buttoned up, not gonna take the chance I think.

Don't know what you mean there.
I was under the impression you had dug a large hole such as 6-8 feet deep. We do that here to burn large amounts of material that the ash and nails will eventually be buried in such as houses/barns. You dig a hole with Ex then shove the house in it with the dozer after dismantling it with the Ex. What I meant by never getting in the hole if your hoe has a thumb was for safety. I was under the impression you had a deeper hole and if the hoe has a thumb you can just reach in and grab material. Since you only are 1 foot deep you are fine.

As for your Parrot I respect that. My doggie is gravely ill here. I was up all last night with him and will be tonight again until I can get him to the vet in the morning.

Go back to page 1 and read my post and you will have no problem burning a pile of brush. As a certified prescribe burn manager for 35 years or so, starting fires and burning brush piles, windrows, and prescribe burns was my business.
I agree. Similar method to what I use but I do use any gas.

You need a burn fuel, for winter we used a mix of 3 parts diesel 2 parts Gasoline in a drip torch. If you don't have a drip torch you can use a common sprayer and spray the under side of the pile good then light it. A few old tires in the mix will help, fill the tire with the burn fuel it will help maintain the heat till the pile gets going.

Placing the pile in a hole sometimes cuts off the air flow, best to start the fire on one end of the pile so oxygen can be drawn in, the fire will then proceed to consume any combustible fuel. Once the pile gets going it will progress to the other parts of the pile that you already sprayed.

The way to start a fire when starting it with a drip torch or sprayer is to start a small fire and light the torch or with a sprayer is spray a trail to the main burn start a small fire outside the main burn, that will start the main burn and will keep you a safe distance away, The burn fuel mix doesn't have the fuel flash point that you would have with using with gas.

Best to burn a pile when the cut down material has been cut down about 15 or 20 days because the sap in the wood has fermented which creates alcohol and will help accelerate the burn.

I agree. Similar method to what I use but I do use any gas.
Try the fuel mix you will get a much better result and less dangerous. For summer sometimes we used a mix of 4:1, 4 part diesel, 1part Gasoline. It will burn slower and longer and doesn't have the flash point in hot weather that a winter mix of 3:2 would have when used in hot weather.

Try the fuel mix you will get a much better result and less dangerous. For summer sometimes we used a mix of 4:1, 4 part diesel, 1part Gasoline. It will burn slower and longer and doesn't have the flash point in hot weather that a winter mix of 3:2 would have when used in hot weather.
I just use old engine oil and diesel although since our E-85 gas is much cheaper than diesel I have considered using it with the engine oil and a more diluted rate.

You still make no sense. The two things are not related.
That is fine keep believing what some textbook tells you and the folks that actually have experience will chuckle at you.

Just out of curiosity when was the last time you ever burned a dozer pile?

Got any pics?

We burn around buildings/homes all the time during burn-season, so that's got nothing to do with it.

Yesterday:

20240318_115959.jpg
20240318_120014.jpg

Knowledge of fire behavior, reading the conditions, and having a hose/piss-pump/mcleod on hand makes it little risk. You just have to pay attention to shifts, know which end of the brush to load which way onto the pile, and be aware of the embers. That was a very small fire, but lots of embers because of the leaves/leaf-type. Maybe 20' from the house. Would have been closer but 3/4" water lines and all the receptive-stumps prevented that.

Sounds like a real Professional. :laughing:

Once you have coals from the first fire, you grab a bucket of coals and start the next one with it.

I've made a living doing this for going on 14 years. My crewboss 30+, including Wildland, TREX, and other large-scale burns.

So yea, I'd say we're professionals.

Paper/newspaper, cardboard/egg cartons, and some seasoned brush. Easy-peasey!
That is fine on very dry material but a tire and used oil will get a good bed of coals going for green wood. I have kept the same bed of coals going for many days with just one tire on day #1

That is fine on very dry material but a tire and used oil will get a good bed of coals going for green wood. I have kept the same bed of coals going for many days with just one tire on day #1
We burn green just-cut brush all day long. All you need is the HEAT and knowledge of how to build a proper fire.

Back