Brush burning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over at the land fill after a hurricane they hauled in thousands of loads of downed tree debris. They dug a long pit about 20/30 feet deep and used a blower to speed up burn times. They laid down a long pipe with holes in it connected to a large blower. It needs to be a very heavy pipe so it doesn't collapse when it gets red hot. The trench acted like an oven keeping all the heat within the trench. They would dump next to the trench then push the logs and brush into the trench with a dosser. They burned 24/7 for weeks.
It all depends on how fast you want it to burn. More air is better then less air. Any air will help.
I had a stump that I wanted to burn out. I used an old shop vac motor and some 3'' conduit to force feed air. I let it run all day and it worked like a charm. It's best to have the air coming from under the bottom.

Dig a channel to the bottom of the fire. That will provide air for the bottom and you'll have it burned down in no time...

image.jpeg I image.jpeg
I don't like to make a large burn pile. So today I lit off my 3 smaller, more manageable, burn piles. No air needed. These burned real fast. I do like to have water handy. My store bought hose reel didn't last long. So I made this one out of PVC using the old metal reel. About 3 ½ years now and no leaks. When it leaks, 4 O’rings will fix it right again. Not pretty but it works good. This was just the prototype and I didn't go any further.

Would need quote the air compressor though to feed a fire with an airline. The blower should work.

For anyone that wants to chip and burn for home heat, let the branches dry before chipping and then bag the chips. No leaves or needles.

If you cannot do that store the chips in vented metal or plastic drums until dry. Leaves and needles can make the drums get smoldering fire hot so plan accordingly.

If you can adjust chip size go as large as possible.

Latest posts

Back