Building a 390XP Monster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I don't have to use rotten wood like that for firewood. One day you'll realize your wrong when you pull your head out of you ass.

No I like it up there.:pumpkin2: The wood actually wasn't rotten, it's just that soft. So soft in fact downed trees will actually flatten a bit after a few months. They grow fast and like weeds around here, I cut them out whenever I get the chance. The one in all the cookie videos were actually pushed over by a track loader a few years back here's the video of that.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZDsnlXY7C70" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes sir there's not much left of that tree now, but it was a good test log while it lasted. The other downed trees near by are far too small to test a 390 in, a 346 maybe. I know of a few large tress nearby, but they're not on my property. I have plenty of firewood logs, but they really don't work so well for testing saws.;)

I have an idea Andy, send it to me. I have some decent logs :D

Yes, that stuff is very soft. I'm certainly not used to it. Its kind of odd though. You can almost over load a saw with it more easily, because its taking such big bites, and you can really push the saw into it. I'm not sure that explains it very well, but it was definately a different feel. It certainly cuts faster, but I don't think it puts any less load on the saw. Does that make any sense?

I actually find it's often easier to overload a shorter bar in our wood when dogged in because of this phenomenon. (lodgepole pine and black spruce...I'm sure you guys would laugh at it's softness) Buried 25" is touchier than a buried 32" on the 066 no matter what sprocket I run...I guess more force per cutter on the shorter bar and then they take too much bite.

Any updates? Is the saw where you want it or are you going to tweak it some? Is it a keeper?

This was earlier tonight. The chain wasn't very sharp and the wood was extremely hard. This is the crotch of a large Pin Oak that I dropped last year. Several large limbs came out of this crotch, so it's not easy cutting.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2MHNyn6f_Ec?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Latest posts

Back