Building a 500 Hotsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dennis Cahoon said:
The crank case is also milled down to size. The sprocket will now fit on the crank shaft and not rub on the sideplate.

500sidecases013.jpg

O.K., you lost me. What did you mill on the crankcase?

Hey Dennis and or Gypo. When you guys run the bike saws. Have you ever had a chain break or come off. I watch you guys and raise this out of concern. When I look at the pictures of you guys running them you seem to have little protection from this as the drive is completely open. Would it not be better to put a shield of sorts over the drive area made out of some aluminum. Just a thought for your safety.

Arnie

DC,
Do you use 2-stroke performance modeling software or just trial and error?

I must add you are a filthy pig you need go hang that towel back up in the bathroom. I've met some dirty people before but that towel is something else.

Lucky

Dennis, I wanted to convey a funny story about hotsaws.
I was in a saw shop awhile back and was naturaly talking about saws, anyway this mechanic there asked me if I'd ever seen the Predator V8 hotsaw and my response was, "sure I do I know the guy and I started it up and ran it in a bar in B.C."
He kinda looked at me like I must have been a bullchiter or something.:blob2: Then he went on about the Predator video he had seen and how impressed he was. It was then I told him that it was me cutting with my KD 088 in the inset of the movie as it was shown on ESPN.
By now, I think this grease monkey wanted to drop me right there on the spot as the biggest BSer on earth! Hahaha!
And just to put the icing on the cake he launches into how he saw this Honda 500 on The Monster Garage. Then of course I couldn't wait to pipe up and say, "that's Dennis Cahoon, he's my friend too!"
Too fooken much!!!!
Hahaha
Fact is stranger than fiction!
John

Dan, speaking of Simin, I found out who he is if someone needs a saw from him. I called Walkers Saw Shop and talked with one of the Walkers about Simon.
They didn't know a Simon, but when I offered more detail and that he was a saw builder from Campbell River, it turns out his name is Jim Simcoe, if I have spelled the last name correctly, however the pronunciation is correct. I tried to call Jim, but there is no Jim Simcoe listed there, but there is one in Kamloops B.C.
I will be heading out there in the spring and I'll hunt Jim down, just like I did Walt Galer!:blob2:
John

Great thread Dennis I am still waiting to see the Monster garage episode that has your saw on it but i think that episode may be a long while off due to the fact it has only been screening here in new zealand for just under a year. Nice to finally see how you guys go about building hotsaws, I do have an interest in saw racing but it is not really done over here so i just sit back and look at hotsaw movies that you guys post on the forum

Dennis, thats a lot of nice eye candy, nice photos, thanks.

I was wondering when you build a saw, the first time you run it must be a rush. Some questions would be in the back on my mind, is this thing going to go boom when it hits the wood, or is the chain going to snap and go flying.

how do you aproach it from a safety point of view, what do you build in as safety features, how do you know what is safe to run with what sized chain, or is breaking chains just part of the game.

Brian

Latest posts

Back