Building a log splitter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeclimbertree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey everyone!

Ive decided to build my own log splitter! Ive seen one that was built out of an old snow blower engine and i think ill be able to at least attempt it. My only concern is the hydraulics issue. If im using a 5 horsepower engine, what size pipes should i be using to make sure im not blowing the lines. As well as wondering what setups people have done for just the hydraulics so that the machine also doesnt stall out when the wedge comes back to the stopper or to the end of the plate. Any photos or drawings would appreciated!

hey everyone!

Ive decided to build my own log splitter! Ive seen one that was built out of an old snow blower engine and i think ill be able to at least attempt it. My only concern is the hydraulics issue. If im using a 5 horsepower engine, what size pipes should i be using to make sure im not blowing the lines. As well as wondering what setups people have done for just the hydraulics so that the machine also doesnt stall out when the wedge comes back to the stopper or to the end of the plate. Any photos or drawings would appreciated!

search function is your friend... use it.. ps welcome

The hydraulics in a log splitter are a low-flow, high pressure application. Because of that, the size of the pipes is not very important. I would suggest 1/2 inch dia. The important thing will be that your pipes and fittings are rated for the level of pressure that your system can generate. Use O-ring fittings as much as possible because they do not leak when properly assembled.

I'm building a spliter now, i'm not using any piping I do it all in hydrolic hose w/union fittings that way if one blows i just get a new one made with a down time of about a half hour to an hour.and there is a few good videos on youtube that's how i get most of my ideas

5 hp

5hp is very low power. find a 8 hp at least.you should be able get a freebe some where.go with 16 gal pump.k

Here are a few basics for a log splitter.

Cylinder bore size X pressure equals tonnage. A 4" bore is an average size. Max pressure is 3000 psi often less.

Pumps for log splitters are usually 2-stage because they require less horsepower.

Gallons per minute determines the cycle time or how fast the cylinder moves.

Horsepower required is determined by the gpm of the pump at normally 3000 psi. If you have a 4" bore cylinder with a 11 gpm 2-stage pump and 5 hp. engine you will get about 18 tons of force. A smaller engine will stall at max. pressure while a larger engine than required will only burn more fuel while tonnage remains the same.

Pipe should not be used unless it is pressure rated for hydraulic use.

Control valves for splitters have built in reliefs and detents to control pressure and prevent stalling.

A 11 gpm 2-stage pump normally uses a 1" suction hose ,1/2" pressure hoses, and 3/4" return line hose.

hey everyone!

the size of your hoses would be determined by your pump and control valve and cylinder. most are 1/2 to 3/4.

your control valve will automatically return to neutral on the back stroke. a common valve for this is made by Prince.

the only area you can get away with using a hard pipe is on the return line from the control valve to your hydraulic oil tank because that's low pressure. all other lines must be high pressure hydraulic lines.

here's some pics of my build project...........

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/mga_01/log splitter/

Here are a few basics for a log splitter.

Cylinder bore size X pressure equals tonnage. A 4" bore is an average size. Max pressure is 3000 psi often less.

Pumps for log splitters are usually 2-stage because they require less horsepower.

Gallons per minute determines the cycle time or how fast the cylinder moves.

Horsepower required is determined by the gpm of the pump at normally 3000 psi. If you have a 4" bore cylinder with a 11 gpm 2-stage pump and 5 hp. engine you will get about 18 tons of force. A smaller engine will stall at max. pressure while a larger engine than required will only burn more fuel while tonnage remains the same.

Pipe should not be used unless it is pressure rated for hydraulic use.

Control valves for splitters have built in reliefs and detents to control pressure and prevent stalling.

A 11 gpm 2-stage pump normally uses a 1" suction hose ,1/2" pressure hoses, and 3/4" return line hose.

:agree2:, good post. I use a B&S 5 hp for now with a 11 gpm pump and it works nice, it will split almost everything I do, it is a tad slow though. I will be upgrading motors and pumps to gain some speed and power, but it will work with a 11 gpm, I wouldn't try a 16 gpm, and I'm talking from epereince on that!!! LOL:cheers:

There are basically two makers of 2-stage pumps for log splitters. Haldex/Barnes and MTE. Prince also makes a 2-stage pump but I have never seen it used on a log splitter.

Haldex style
attachment.php

MTE style

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back