Building a SP125C / 101B Kart Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, the 101b has a steel sleeve, so it can be overbored like a car engine. There are aftermarket pistons up to .060 over which pushes the displacement to over 130 cc's. Overboring the cylinder is very easy because of the removable head. It does not require a bottom bore, which is much more difficult. Combustion chamber stays the same, so compression ratio goes up as well. One of my saws is .050 over, which is 129cc I think.

Truth is they can be bored a bit further than that i have slugs here up to 110 thou with rings
Thats how they grow to 133cc

McBob.

Try starting a SP125 without using the decomp and you'll understand that both the SP125 and 101 are bears and big nasty bears at that

McBob.

Now if that ain't the truth nothing is. I'm not sold on drop starting it, I did it once and it worked fine, tried again and near ripped my arm off. In the video he said to get it TDC, and perhaps that will help, I may need to have a few beers and screw up my courage. I'm not a small person either, and not real weak either. These are DEFINITELY not your average box store homeowner saws. Of course if your following this thread you already know all that. JR

2 hours in the over @ 170°F.

IMG8768-L.jpg

IMG8766-L.jpg

IMG8770-M.jpg

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but unless you shave a few fins on top of the 101 head that SP125 cylinder cowl wont fit
Did you try it on before painting it ?

McBob.

I think that the cowl was on the saw when he got it, so either the fins have already been shaved, or for some reason it just fits.

I think that the cowl was on the saw when he got it, so either the fins have already been shaved, or for some reason it just fits.

The cowl that was on the saw was in very poor condition. The holes where the upper AV bracket mounted were all busted out and put together with washers. This is a NOS one that I got with all the parts with these two saws. I did put it on before painting, but did not bolt it down. It looked tight, but looked like it would fit. I'll find out today.

What a relief! When you're working with a repainted saw like this, you don't want to have problems with it, and have to keep taking it back apart. She fired right up, runs great, kill switch works, oiler works.... Amazing! I couldn't be happier. I have one thread to repair on the recoil. I'd like to accent the logo on it while I have it back off. It could also use a new spark plug cover and pull handle. I believe the owner has a newish handle to install on it when he gets it back.

[video=youtube_share;jmGycpqvpCU]http://youtu.be/jmGycpqvpCU[/video]

IMG8773-M.jpg

IMG8776-M.jpg

IMG8777-M.jpg

IMG8774-M.jpg

IMG8778-M.jpg

IMG8771-M.jpg

IMG8775-M.jpg

IMG8781-M.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back