How should I handle this? Ebay saw dilemma

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieseldave

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got a problem with a saw I sold on Ebay, not sure what my level of responsibility is on this and curious to see how you guys would handle it. The saw is (was) a good-running 46mm Husky 55 that I went through awhile back- it's been over a year but by looking back at the pics I took of it I cleaned up the ports a little and set the squish at .025. Don't remember if I had to cut the base to get that or if it was just a gasket delete. Anyway, about a month ago I decided it was time for it to go so I ran a tank of gas through it to check it out (it ran fine) and put it on the auction block. It sold to a fellow on the west coast, and then the problems began. I knew I was in trouble when he wrote to say the tracking # didn't work (it did) and while I was helping him get that squared away I mentioned that the carb was tuned here in Jersey in 30 degree weather at sea level and might need to be leaned out a tad in sunny CA. He replied that he didn't know he had bought a saw that needed to be tuned up (insert banghead emoticon here). I tried to explain about air density and such and hoped for the best. About a week after I figure the saw got to him I get this message "Just got the saw back from a local repair shop and the saw has a scored cylinder and cannot idle and would cost me over 300.00 to repair. I want a full refund, plus shipping very disappointed". Here's a video of the saw the last time I ran it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3c2hA2xxops" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well, sadly, you're probably screwed the way eBay almost always sides with the buyer. I would have him send the saw back to you for starters. See what the deal is and go from there. If you don't get the saw back, he may wind up with the saw and your money.

I would tell him buy the parts and send everything to me and i'll repair it for free and send it back but if it grenades again you're on your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would tell him buy the parts and send everything to me and i'll repair it for free and send it back but if it grenades again you're on your own.

All its gonna cost you is some time.

Sux all around. Curious to hear his story. I bet he tried to lean it out and toasted it, or just filled it with straight gas and let 'er rip. I personally would not advise a buyer on eBay to retune, especially when I know it's gonna be on the rich side. Unless he can prove he never ran it, u'r not obligated to do anything

Get him on the phone. Tell him you know he's fkng you. Then tell him, "remember.... you gave me your home address. You don't know what kinda guy I can be either. You wanna get cute? I'll blow an entire paycheck to buy a plane ticket out there to show ya what kinda guy I can be."

Sounds like "opposite" George costanza at the movie theater addressing the seat kickers.

I'd ask him for the shop's contact he had the repair estimate done at and then contact them and ask them what they found and what the guy told them when he brought it in. He might of spilled his guts to the shop about how he messed it up. I feel the buyer is at fault and doesnt want to eat the bill.

Tell the buyer you want the shops number so you can ask them what the damage is. Tell him you might consider offering the repair on the buyers dime at cost of parts and shipping... JAT...

He did offer to send me the repair estimate and he gave me the shop's contact info, but I figured all they're going to tell me is that it needs a $300 jug. He claims to have run 50:1 Stihl pre mix and to have not touched the mixture screws. Do I believe him? I don't know, but something leaned that saw out and melted it. I forgot to mention in my original post that I vac tested after it was built so I doubt it had any seal issues and it blew 175psi right before I shipped it so it didn't have a "scored cylinder" (he said "scored piston" in a later message so I'm not sure which) when it left here. I'm pretty sure it's coming back here so maybe in a week or so I'll know the real story on what killed it.

That's a tough spot you're in, hope it works out ok.

Your experience makes me think next time I sell a saw on ebay I'll add a few caveats to the write up. Will state that it was fully seviced and running well at the time of sale and attach a link to a short vid of it cutting. Will probably incl current, dated pics of P&C and other critical bits likely to be messed up by punters. Also willl tune it slightly rich, specify the fuel mix it requires and that operation of the saw must be in accordance with manufacturer's instructions and incl a URL to them. Will probably state that the correct operation of this fully functional saw is the buyer's responsibilty upon receipt of the saw.

Others on here may well have better ideas than that, I'm not a lawyer.

Have sold a couple of nicely running saws on ebay and no probs yet. Was a bit worried how it would turn out though. Now when poss I prefer using our version of Craigs list, nothing like looking in someone's eyes as you hand over a working saw you've just demonstated.

Good luck,

Matt.

I've got a problem with a saw I sold on Ebay, not sure what my level of responsibility is on this and curious to see how you guys would handle it. The saw is (was) a good-running 46mm Husky 55 that I went through awhile back- it's been over a year but by looking back at the pics I took of it I cleaned up the ports a little and set the squish at .025. Don't remember if I had to cut the base to get that or if it was just a gasket delete. Anyway, about a month ago I decided it was time for it to go so I ran a tank of gas through it to check it out (it ran fine) and put it on the auction block. It sold to a fellow on the west coast, and then the problems began. I knew I was in trouble when he wrote to say the tracking # didn't work (it did) and while I was helping him get that squared away I mentioned that the carb was tuned here in Jersey in 30 degree weather at sea level and might need to be leaned out a tad in sunny CA. He replied that he didn't know he had bought a saw that needed to be tuned up (insert banghead emoticon here). I tried to explain about air density and such and hoped for the best. About a week after I figure the saw got to him I get this message "Just got the saw back from a local repair shop and the saw has a scored cylinder and cannot idle and would cost me over 300.00 to repair. I want a full refund, plus shipping very disappointed". Here's a video of the saw the last time I ran it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3c2hA2xxops" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Get him to return the saw for you to check. I had a similar situation with a saw I sold,turns out his ``dealer`` was also his FIL, & they cooked up this plan to have the saw, & screw me for the cash he paid for it. I was fortunate that someone I know also knew them & in a round about way found out about their scam, [ saw him cutting wood with the so called US saw, if he returns it you will see whats happened. If not tell Ebay it`s a scam & you are prepared to work it out but the buyer wont comply, I would think that Ebay would side with you in that case [ Tr y it & see, but if it was me NO SAW NO REFUND].

this is why I don't sell on fleabay any more,, to many idiots that don't know what they are doing

Honestly, I dunno how you guys do it, especially with C-list and a host of other venues available and which are more tailored to non-dealers. EBay and PayPal may have their place consumer-protection-wise (built-in redundancy for protections typically available already but allowing for outright fraud), but a one-to-one newspaper ad transaction is a different animal, the internet distances spanned nowadays notwithstanding. I'd let it all stand in your case, as is, and be grateful to forfeit any future eBay/PayPal "privileges," especially if you don't rely upon these for regular income.

BTW, and speaking as a (former) lawyer, his appropriate course of action would have been to return the saw to you, and not to have taken it in for a $300 overhaul. In any other transaction, this act in an "as is" transaction releases you from any and all interest in the item. Didn't your eBay ad stipulate as much? Beyond this, I'm not familiar enuf w/ eBay/PayPal policies and practices to say more.

Be as nice as you want, but tell the buyer he's put you in an absolutely untenable/impossible position, and that as such neither you nor anyone else could possibly be held responsible. Maybe fire off a letter to eBay if you want. Law doesn't always trump common sense...it just uses its own language for it (when it's working).

Sad. This is why I've moved to selling runners on CL and parts on eBay - I don't mind losing a little on a bad part deal, but losing on a saw is too much risk. Cheers!

I include a pdf file(on disc) with every saw sold that has the owners manual and IPLs with that saw. Also included is a cover letter on top of the saw in the box warning the buyer that(1) the saw may have shifted in transit and set the brake and(2)the saw would need to be re-tuned by a professional depending on altitude. Recently, a buyer set fire to a perfect MS290 by running the saw WOT,no bar/chain and the brake set. He filed a claim for full refund but EBay sided with me and he lost. It did tie up my PayPal account until the claim was settled. Though I agree that CL is simpler, the market exposure is better on FleaBay. The commisions you pay EBay pays for this increased exposure, but it not hassle free. I believe this is why people have started listing saws as" running parts saws" rather than "used" to limit their liability.

Speaking only from a consumer perception perspective, if you value your E-Bay reputation, you need to refund the money (if you get the saw back), and make nice. The damage he'll do to your name could have a serious impact on your business.

If you get the saw back, you're out one-way shipping, some parts, and the value of your time spent on repairs. And you'll know you're not being scammed.

It just sucks that you're paying for someone's knuckle-headed mistake.

I include a pdf file(on disc) with every saw sold that has the owners manual and IPLs with that saw. Also included is a cover letter on top of the saw in the box warning the buyer that(1) the saw may have shifted in transit and set the brake and(2)the saw would need to be re-tuned by a professional depending on altitude. Recently, a buyer set fire to a perfect MS290 by running the saw WOT,no bar/chain and the brake set. He filed a claim for full refund but EBay sided with me and he lost. It did tie up my PayPal account until the claim was settled. Though I agree that CL is simpler, the market exposure is better on FleaBay. The commisions you pay EBay pays for this increased exposure, but it not hassle free. I believe this is why people have started listing saws as" running parts saws" rather than "used" to limit their liability.

If you wanna provide the docs as a service, that's great, but these have nuthin to do w/ liability. Not saying that yer saying they do...just trying to avoid possible confusion.

Dunno how you knew what the aforementioned buyer did to yer saw, but knowing such is highly unusual and cannot be relied upon, to say the least. Neither is a technician on the buyer's end to be relied upon after the fact, for various reasons but chief of which being that they cannot account for, nor therefore speak to, the intervening time and events before the saw was brought to them.

The advantage of the exposure on eBay continues to be supplanted by engines like yakaz.com which bring together like-situated buyers and sellers but at an "as-is" starting point, anything more being icing on the cake. To the extent that eBay provides the kind of protections that either registered dealers already provide or that consumers expect, I fail to see how they can do this better than already reasonably provided, never mind how they can possibly do this adequately otherwise.

Re: "running parts saw" vs. "used as is," there wouldn't be any legal distinction, neither is there any meaningful difference, and such adoption wouldn't mitigate liability where there already exists no further liability.

Speaking only from a consumer perception perspective, if you value your E-Bay reputation, you need to refund the money (if you get the saw back), and make nice. The damage he'll do to your name could have a serious impact on your business.

If you get the saw back, you're out one-way shipping, some parts, and the value of your time spent on repairs. And you'll know you're not being scammed.

It just sucks that you're paying for someone's knuckle-headed mistake.

If that's the price for eBay reputation," they can keep it. Moreover, if said reputation is predicated upon false claims, on either side, then it's a baseless and groundless reputation, if not an outright fraudulent one, and as such eBay will either have to remedy what may indeed be nothing more than mere "perceived legitimacy," or get out of the "game" of representing such "guarantees" altogether.

Whether on a personal or a professional level, I cannot for the life of me understand how or why you or anyone would expect the OP to be responsible for what the buyer did, especially when the buyer ended the contract (if it wasnt already concluded under an "as-is" agreement) by turning the item over to a 3d party.

And dieseldave, if "think" you wanna continue with eBay, the first thing I'd do is send a letter/email to eBay saying as much, and tell the buyer you can't say any more til you've heard back f/ eBay. If that isn't enuf to chase this joker off, then see what eBay says. If they side with you, then at least they have one lawyer on their staff, and problem solved, for the time being anyway. And if they don't, then ask yerself whether they're even worth the trouble.

I'm in NJ too, and will be by to collect my $100 on our next trip to the beach. It must be the end of the world...is it the end of the world? Are dogs having sex with cats yet?

Latest posts

Back