How should I handle this? Ebay saw dilemma

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You meant Stormy, right? Hmmm...that'd give us 45/55/65cc spread, and mite lead to 75 or 85. Great, now I gotta avoid the beach just to deal with this CAD rash. Glad it's gonna work out, especially when there's absolutely no reason that it shouldn't absent events completely beyond yer control. But even more, I'm glad you didn't just roll over to this.

Stormy, that's what I meant! Damn, now I'm going to lose the saw AND have to go cut wood at Marshy's... lol Unfortunately, the situation isn't resolved yet, but at least I have a chance. One more thing I forgot to mention before- the guy left me positive feedback on Ebay! Another point in my favor, because why would he do that if it never ran right from the start?

Lol! So now yer gonna check the positive feedback date against the repair date! Take a screenshot. Lol. What fun.

DieselDave - my advise get it back then refund immediately regardless of what you find.

Never give a customer permission to modify or change anything. I received a MS660 a couple years ago that needed tuned, I sent a message through Ebay asking if it was cool to tune it or have my dealer tune it for me. It was described as running great and ran like crap. He never responded so I returned it through Ebay. Guys here on AS thought I was a D'bag for returning it, but as soon as you change anything without permission it is like licking the top of a cupcake it is yours permanently.

You cannot specify any terms or conditions on Ebay, they have their own rules PERIOD.

"for parts or repair" and "used" are Ebay specifics that drastically change the recourse of a buyer, by selling on Ebay you agree to their law above all others, the real world does not enter into it, unless you believe you have more money to pay lawyers than Ebay does.

This is a real world case of why it is important to bite the bullet as a seller OR not sell used items.
As you sell on Ebay and eventually sell a decent volume your feedback score actually matters, not just as what a buyer sees but as a way of getting paid.
Hypothetically you pay 2000.00 a month in Ebay fees, but you have great feedback with no complaints that have been filed for official handling by Ebay - now you get a $400.00 discount on those fees.
So assuming you know what your product really costs including Ebay and Paypal fees and packaging and postage, you just got $400 FREE.

Now if you lose that nice rating and lose the discount for three months while you get enough new positive scores to adjust your average, not refunding the transaction costs you $1200.00. I only have one saw I am asking $1200.00 for and it sure ain't on Ebay :)

It's big picture, if you are just selling one saw now and then, that's a yard sale, you will be better off using CL most likely.
For me I never balk at a customer, is it late?
ship a new one
Is it damaged?
ship a new one
Do I suspect they blew it up?
I ask for a picture for warranty purposes, ship a new one and block them as a buyer so I never have to deal with them again.
If they tell me they blew it up I offer a discount on a replacement and DO NOT block them, heck I will even troubleshoot over the phone so they can fix whatever they did wrong.
Letters to Ebay are useless, they are the whole game, if you want to play... it's Ebay, love it or hate it.

DDave

dieseldave, was this ever resolved?
Yes it was. He sent the saw back and I gave him his purchase price back. He paid the shipping both ways. Ebay assured me that was all I needed to do as far as they were concerned and I never had any repercussions from them. I never heard from the guy again either. When the saw got back here I pulled it out of the box, turned the screws back to where they were supposed to be, and went out and cut with it. I videoed this event and posted it on youtube in case there was any further argument lol. Ended up selling the saw to a friend's dad, he loves it.

Yes it was. He sent the saw back and I gave him his purchase price back. He paid the shipping both ways. Ebay assured me that was all I needed to do as far as they were concerned and I never had any repercussions from them. I never heard from the guy again either. When the saw got back here I pulled it out of the box, turned the screws back to where they were supposed to be, and went out and cut with it. I videoed this event and posted it on youtube in case there was any further argument lol. Ended up selling the saw to a friend's dad, he loves it.

Success! I got the limiter caps off and ground off the tabs and put them back on. Now if it wasn't storming out this evening I would have tried to get the carb adjusted. When you adjust the settings are you turning the cap and it turns the screw in there? Or do you have to get your screwdriver to the metal slot to turn?
Either he had buyer's remorse, or he was too stupid to own a chainsaw.

Every business takes a loss every now and then and selling on ebay is no exception. I've sold several saws on ebay and have had good experiences in about 95% of my sales and my purchases. You just have to figure that the good will outweigh the bad. It is best to include information about the fuel mix, starting procedure and whatever it takes to help what might be a first time saw buyer.

Either he had buyer's remorse, or he was too stupid to own a chainsaw.
That guy was definitely too stupid to own a chainsaw. I knew from some of the questions he asked before he even won it that I was in trouble if he got it.

I want to thank everyone who added to this thread, there was some very good advice and food for thought here and it has helped shape how I do things on ebay. And I concur with Mr. Palmer, I would say that 95% of my experiences have been good, and that's a pretty good record.

U r basically screwed with selling on Ebay. If customer isnt happy within 45 days u will give their money back if they want it or ruin yourself as a seller. Sucks that they have a 45 day warranty and you dont have a clue what kind of nut u may be selling your saw too

The last listing I had on ebay said 14 day guarantee and the reason has to be "not as described". Things like buyer's remorse or your wife got mad at you for buying it aren't reasons for a refund..
Totally untrue. If the buyer isnt happy they will get their money back. Period. Ive sold too much on ebay

May be 14 days . 14 or 45. Say they get the saw and straight gas it and message and tell ebay its not as described as running and is broken and they want their money back? Doesnt matter if u offer to fix it if they want to return it and get their money back thats the buyers decision and they will get their money back from ebay if not you then ebay can lock u out as a seller if u refused to make it right because it was running perfect when u sold it?

Even 14 days is a lot of time with a chainsaw. You know a person of low character could buy a saw, do all their firewood cutting and then mess up something on the saw and claim the item wasn't as described or didn't run like it should. Lots of possibilities. I know of a few guys who sell all their saws "for parts or repair" even if they're nearly new.

Even 14 days is a lot of time with a chainsaw. You know a person of low character could buy a saw, do all their firewood cutting and then mess up something on the saw and claim the item wasn't as described or didn't run like it should. Lots of possibilities. I know of a few guys who sell all their saws "for parts or repair" even if they're nearly new.
I guess that was my point too. Anyway u look at it is a risk on Ebay

After Hurricane Ike, Home Depot and Lwe's were overloaded with gensets with engines that never had the oil changed and chainsaws that were used for downed trees and returned.

I sell a few chainsaw parts on eBay and sell with "no returns". This past week I shipped a guy a chainsaw clutch assembly and heard that he was dissatisfied with the clutch springs only having 10% of their useful life left. I thought to myself you bought a used part it it's used, don't like the springs? put some new ones on... But, I told him I would either send him some used springs in better condition or he could send it all back for a refund. (I wasn't about to give him a partial refund and he keep the items.)
He opted for more springs so I sent him some nice ones.
The only way you can see wear on the springs is to remove them. I hadn't done that but may in the future...

Latest posts

Back