Built a new log jack today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushmans

Smoke Dragon Herder
Reaction score
I'm pretty tired of cutting dirt so I decided to build a log jack. Not sure of the exact term but who cares if it works! I was able to copy some measurements from a friends so it was pretty easy. It will get a preliminary run tomorrow.

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=277938&d=1360279522

277938d1360279522-photo-1-jpg

'm trying some new picture thing so please let me know how you view the pics. Not sure if its working or not!
They should be on the screen, not clickable......I hope:msp_confused:

Last edited:
Worst case, you might have to widen the foot for stability and less sinkage in soft soil. Kudos for home made!

I took the foot into consideration. 99% of the time I cut in the winter. My saws usually get put up for summer so I decided to go with the small foot for weight and easy transportation. However sometimes I do cut when the ground is not frozen all the way and that is why I went with the cross on the foot. They are one inch steel rods and about 4-5 inches across. Sand? probably no good. Everything else should be ok.

Bring it to my house and give it a test run. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Maybe some time! Getting together tomorrow with Farmboss45 and another friend to cut wood and roast some hot dogs for lunch. I think we will have two 029/290s an 031AV, a 390, a 391 and a 440. A Stihl of a day!
A Michiagn GTG is imminent!

Charlotte what a small world I hunt over that way, Live about half hour from ya over in Onondaga! Nice timber jack by the way I bought mine from Northern Tool its a handy tool!

Charlotte what a small world I hunt over that way, Live about half hour from ya over in Onondaga! Nice timber jack by the way I bought mine from Northern Tool its a handy tool!

Sweet! You will be close for the GTG then. Sure would be fun to meet everybody in person.

I have such a hard time parting with money when I know I can build it. This was made from scrap steel from work and I "borrowed' the paint. I promise to return it when finished!

Sweet! You will be close for the GTG then. Sure would be fun to meet everybody in person.

I have such a hard time parting with money when I know I can build it. This was made from scrap steel from work and I "borrowed' the paint. I promise to return it when finished!

I agree.... Nothing like homemade, built these tongs for my splitter when I first got it and many cords later still working great, not the prettiest but neither is the splitter!

SSPX0184.jpg

Sure like your homemade jack. Been wanting to weld one up myself, may have to get on it a little sooner after seeing yours!

If you have trouble with that sinking in the ground, just throw a slab of 2 by under it.

Latest posts

Back