Built a new log jack today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your Log Jack

I like your log jack and I know it is going to work out well for you in the woods. I built a homemade one myself a couple years ago and those jacks really will help get 'em off the ground.

Added rep for you.

Nosmo

Out of bullets for timerjack rep. Nice looking timberjack! I'm with Beer...I don't want to slog around fighting a foot of snow when cutting/splitting/hauling wood. I'll get back to cutting in April.
I am game for the GTG!!!

I took the foot into consideration. 99% of the time I cut in the winter. My saws usually get put up for summer so I decided to go with the small foot for weight and easy transportation. However sometimes I do cut when the ground is not frozen all the way and that is why I went with the cross on the foot. They are one inch steel rods and about 4-5 inches across. Sand? probably no good. Everything else should be ok.

Nice job. You men that fabricate your own stuff never cease to amaze me. I have a log jack (purchased of course); it has an attachment that bolts to the foot for wetter conditions (it is wider). If you have a problem with yours sinking I am certain you could fabricate some sort of base that attaches without too much trouble. Mine can be installed in no time without any hassle.

Gave the jack a good run yesterday. Needs a slight modification. I'm going to cut the side curls off the foot and add a 8-10 inch piece of 1x1 tube steel.
It works great for picking the log off the ground but wants to tip over on the short foot. easy fix. It is also grabby enough that I can lock it onto a log and drag it into the clear if need be. The angles of the points are perfect!
My next thought would be to make the foot removable. I could use it for jacking or rolling.

Working in the snow has its downfalls but boy was it ever beautiful!

The pipe should work as a stabilizer. Mine has a bent sheet metal base that's pretty stable. I gave it a face lift not long ago and a fresh coat of paint. I like how you double hinged your hook.

LogLift_zps9b109112.jpg

Looks good to me too. The only thing I would do is weld a disc, somewhat like a trailer jack has, onto the foot. Something around 3 inches. Not to much weight and a pretty good foot print.

The way I cut I prolly wouldn't use it very much. I don't guess I've drug a log in years.

Maybe I missed it, but how long is the main bar and what dimensions is the square tube steel? 1x1 by 1/8th inch thick? Looks great!

I'm pretty tired of cutting dirt so I decided to build a log jack. Not sure of the exact term but who cares if it works! I was able to copy some measurements from a friends so it was pretty easy. It will get a preliminary run tomorrow.

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=277938&d=1360279522

277938d1360279522-photo-1-jpg

'm trying some new picture thing so please let me know how you view the pics. Not sure if its working or not!
They should be on the screen, not clickable......I hope:msp_confused:

Maybe I missed it, but how long is the main bar and what dimensions is the square tube steel? 1x1 by 1/8th inch thick? Looks great!

Right around 42 inches long and the tube steel is 1x1 1/8" thick. Thin wall tubing would just bend.
Thanks!

Right around 42 inches long and the tube steel is 1x1 1/8" thick. Thin wall tubing would just bend.
Thanks!

Good deal, I have some 1x1x1/8 but the hook seems to be a challenge. I have an old tire iron I could use for the hook, but I also like the double joint you created...

Good deal, I have some 1x1x1/8 but the hook seems to be a challenge. I have an old tire iron I could use for the hook, but I also like the double joint you created...

This hook is made from a u-bolt off the rear suspension of a fire truck axle. I think it was a 13 pack leaf spring. Just cut it to the right length and the fab guy at work welded some pins to his work bench and heated up the steel and bent it around the pins.
The angles are the critical part. If you don't get them righ it wont grab the log.

Latest posts

Back