Built me a bridge this weekend.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
glad to see you're taking it easy after being sick, lol. I would have no issue walking my fat butt accross your new bridge. The old one, well, there better have been some tasty beer on the other side to motivate me to get wet. Good work.

glad to see you're taking it easy after being sick, lol. I would have no issue walking my fat butt accross your new bridge. The old one, well, there better have been some tasty beer on the other side to motivate me to get wet. Good work.

Thanxxx Nixxx.

And actually, I still am sick. But I can't sit on my ass all the time. :)

One would be amazed at how staying active while feeling rather ####ty can be a darn good cure. I've been couped up in the house for days and days with my saws untouched. I started to lose my grip on reality not firing them up. :)

I know my post was negative and offhand, but i generally find bridges, small or otherwise work best suspended between two areas of dry stability. The old bridge, although crap, did this. Or looked like it did.
I think your log supports will sink into the mud over time taking the footway with it. Longer plank lengths and the logs moved further away from the stream edges would be a more stable long lasting structure.
Your design is fine, i just think it needs to be bigger. Just my 2p. Anyway, enjoy your project.:)

Thanxxx Nixxx.

And actually, I still am sick. But I can't sit on my ass all the time. :)

One would be amazed at how staying active while feeling rather ####ty can be a darn good cure. I've been couped up in the house for days and days with my saws untouched. I started to lose my grip on reality not firing them up. :)

I think there's something to that. I was sick as a dog over the Holidays, and I can tell you the only day I felt better was the day we were cutting with Dan.

:cheers: LOL
MD ( a fellow fatguy)

great work ! I agree a little longer might work better . but most everything is a work in progress and can be updated in the future

I love the mini mill your using . I havnt seen one so simple in its design ! where can I find one ? my Husky 2100 would love to wear one !

MD

great work ! I agree a little longer might work better . but most everything is a work in progress and can be updated in the future

I love the mini mill your using . I havnt seen one so simple in its design ! where can I find one ? my Husky 2100 would love to wear one !

MD

That would be the Beam Machine. It's not the best most accurate milling tool, but it's small, light, and very easy to use. Don't plan on the straightest cuts in the world though - it likes to teeter on the 2x4 quite a bit. For rough work though it works great. It can be purchased from Bailey's. I believe I paid $40.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/036xoPwdp04&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/036xoPwdp04&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That would be the Beam Machine. It's not the best most accurate milling tool, but it's small, light, and very easy to use. Don't plan on the straightest cuts in the world though - it likes to teeter on the 2x4 quite a bit. For rough work though it works great. It can be purchased from Bailey's. I believe I paid $40.

yeah man thats what Im looking for ! always looking for rough cuts . for 40 its perfect

Your bridge looks good. We have dozens of them around here on hiking trails made from trees that fall in the storms. We carve them out with chainsaws and slap 'em in place. Fifteen or twenty years later when they rot we just build a new one out of a new log. Some last a lot longer.

Only difference is we do a criss-cross pattern of cuts about 1/2" to 3/4" deep on the deck for traction. Each cut is spaced about 1 1/2" apart. The trick is to cut deeper at the edge so the cuts drain.

Up by Mt. Hood there is a bridge that spans eighty feet made out of a single log. Storm blew it across the river and washed out the old bridge. They carved the top flat and then strung a cable for a handrail. Logs are pretty handy things.

Mr. HE:cool:

Your bridge looks good. We have dozens of them around here on hiking trails made from trees that fall in the storms. We carve them out with chainsaws and slap 'em in place. Fifteen or twenty years later when they rot we just build a new one out of a new log. Some last a lot longer.

Only difference is we do a criss-cross pattern of cuts about 1/2" to 3/4" deep on the deck for traction. Each cut is spaced about 1 1/2" apart. The trick is to cut deeper at the edge so the cuts drain.

Up by Mt. Hood there is a bridge that spans eighty feet made out of a single log. Storm blew it across the river and washed out the old bridge. They carved the top flat and then strung a cable for a handrail. Logs are pretty handy things.

Mr. HE:cool:

Criss cross as in Kriss Kross?

"A Mac Daddy make ya JUMP! JUMP!"

:D :laugh:

I know my post was negative and offhand, but i generally find bridges, small or otherwise work best suspended between two areas of dry stability. The old bridge, although crap, did this. Or looked like it did.
I think your log supports will sink into the mud over time taking the footway with it. Longer plank lengths and the logs moved further away from the stream edges would be a more stable long lasting structure.
Your design is fine, i just think it needs to be bigger. Just my 2p. Anyway, enjoy your project.
I kinda agree with this, your plan is good but the size is a bit small, I would have made the planks about 3 ft longer, nail all that together and it should be pretty solid...

Geez!!! I can't believe how people jump on each other around here sometimes. I usually try to just ignore it, but here's a guy doing something constructive for himself (with a chainsaw I might add), and he gets blasted.

Constructive criticism is fine and I think most people around here have a pretty thick skin, but it gets a little much sometimes.:angrysoapbox:

Woodchucker......It's not the Golden Gate, but heck, you built it yourself and will enjoy it.....thumbs up Dude!!:cheers:

Geez!!! I can't believe how people jump on each other around here sometimes. I usually try to just ignore it, but here's a guy doing something constructive for himself (with a chainsaw I might add), and he gets blasted.

Constructive criticism is fine and I think most people around here have a pretty thick skin, but it gets a little much sometimes.:angrysoapbox:

Woodchucker......It's not the Golden Gate, but heck, you built it yourself and will enjoy it.....thumbs up Dude!!:cheers:

People just love to be asses. I have no idea why. Maybe it's envy - I don't see anyone else building a bridge with their bare hands on their property - I see them sitting at their computers hammering at my little creation. The negativity around here sometimes just sucks. I just ignore it for the most part and keep a smile ande sense of humor about me, keeps me sane. :cheers:

But thanks a whole heap! I appreciate your positive feedback and appreciation for the fun little project I was part of. T'is good to see there are others that have something good to say. :) :cheers:

I did not know how many bridge engineers were reading your thread. good work woodchucker, rep sent.

Last edited:
Back