Built me a bridge this weekend.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good to me!! Share a few more pics when you feel it's finished:clap:

All the negative nancys on here... I mean come on. If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. Jeeze, Did you forget your manners, Or never learn them in the first place....

"nothing nice to say, say nothing at all"

there's nothing wrong with telling the truth as you see it, if we never told the bad things that peopl don't want to hear then they'll never have an incentive to do better, if a child made all F's on their report card would you tell them that they did great, if a restaurant had terrible food would you say it was great, life isn't fair and everyone doesn't sugar coat things and some tell it like they see it and sometimes the truth hurts...

there's nothing wrong with telling the truth as you see it, if we never told the bad things that peopl don't want to hear then they'll never have an incentive to do better, if a child made all F's on their report card would you tell them that they did great, if a restaurant had terrible food would you say it was great, life isn't fair and everyone doesn't sugar coat things and some tell it like they see it and sometimes the truth hurts...

There's a difference between telling the truth sincerely and straight up trying to be an ass along with sh##ing on others.

Your point only holds so much validity in my book. The negative and insulting comments from some people are just uncalled for. I think we would agree on that.

Looks like you had a great time and the milling looks awesome, cant believe you did that with a $40 tool...Like said above my only concern would be the length of the planks as some look like they are already to slip of the log below. Probably not a big deal now but when the frost comes out of the ground or when a big rain hits more then likely the logs will sink into the ground and make the planks that much more likely to slip, not to mention wash outs after a heavy rain on a the creek bed. If it were me, I would find another weekend and mill some more wood a couple feet longer on each side...after all its another reason to get out of the house and play with chainsaws. Also, I would move the stakes out a little further because of the same reasons, you dont want them in muddy, possibly soon to be eroded areas.

Last edited:

None of them are his teacher that he is learning from.

So that makes the negative comments mere bullying and jealousy.

Mr. HE:cool:

So if your kid got an F on a report card you would say "Nice jog numbnutz, don't quit your day job"

There's nothing wrong with criticism or speaking your mind, but rude is rude and there's no justification for that.

Beside that part, I and most in here will agree with your statement.

Chucker can I give you some advice? The bridge looks good, but don't think it will hold up for very long. You want minimal contact with the soil as possible. It looks like it can be a bit swampy on the edges of the stream and laying down a log won't last more than a year or two. How about getting a couple 8" logs and span the width of the stream with those and run planks across them? That will have less contact on the wet area and also allow you to span a larger distance. You will still be able to use the planks you have, just cut them in half and run them across the 2 logs.

Make sense?

Yo Mr. Bio! :)

The cross logs in the creek, those are ash logs. The steaks are maple and hophornbeam. I used them because they were easily accessible and they are nice and straight. I eventually plan on replacing them with locust or osage orange once I find ones that are large enough - osage or locust will last forever. I'll end up doing it sometime this summer.

It'll be very easy to replace once it's finished as well - that's why I built it the way that I did. Getting the bridge up though was the main priority. If I come across the wood to replace it with then I'll be lucky - and I have a few years to do so before the other logs rot out. Until then, and after then for that matter, I have a real bridge going across the creek and not a long pallet!! :D

So if your kid got an F on a report card you would say "Nice jog numbnutz, don't quit your day job"

There's nothing wrong with criticism or speaking your mind, but rude is rude and there's no justification for that.

Beside that part, I and most in here will agree with your statement.
no, I would say "you're gonna bring these up to at least a C+ or you'll be grounded forever" and I don't recall me ever being rude...

None of them are his teacher that he is learning from.

So that makes the negative comments mere bullying and jealousy.

no jealousy here, there's nothing to be jealous of, he built a simple bridge, all I did was tell him what I would have done different that is not bullying and jealousy...

again, life isn't fair, people should learn by it.......

If you are looking for locust, ask some farmers. They usually have a pile of it lying around for fence posts.

Yeah no doubt. Some fence poles made of locust in NY have been "dated" back to the 1700's. The stuff is impermeable to almost anything.

A buddy of mine has a liberal supply he uses for firewood, I'll prolly hit him up this spring. :)

I think it's great!!!

Looks to be really strong....Just make sure you weather treat it, sealer,,,and bet it'll last for years.....Wash away,,,,I had to laught at that comment....That one you made is way heavy as the one you replaced,,and really nice wood!!!! Something you and family should be proud of!!!!

don't mean to steal your thread...on the beam machine you can help cut better if pop rivet a thin piece on flat stock on the inside of the channel that goes on the 2x4, mine is about 6" longer than the beam machine on the front and back. fits the 2x4 much tighter making it track much straighter, truer

I love the mini mill...

don't mean to steal your thread...on the beam machine you can help cut better if pop rivet a thin piece on flat stock on the inside of the channel that goes on the 2x4, mine is about 6" longer than the beam machine on the front and back. fits the 2x4 much tighter making it track much straighter, truer

Just dont like the beam machine to me...It's a trapped design,,and looks to bind up or have alot of play...Maybe at the next GTG someone that has one I can try it,,but with the mini mill,,,it's been great.....

The Beam Machine is a fine little tool. I didn't plan on using it - I wanted to use my Alaskan Sawmill for the whole project like I usually do. The Alaskan works great for making a cant but there was no chance of me rolling that log over by myself.

The Beam Machine is excellent for making long cuts in wood that isn't thick. It's great for ripping off 2x4's and 4x4's. I don't really like using it on such thick logs like in this situation. But as I stated, the log was way too darn heavy for me to budge. Using the Alaskan Sawmill was only for the horizontal cuts in this heavy log!

I was actually surprised though at how well the Beam Machine performs when coupled with a ported 7900. It was rather effortless with such a powerful saw. :)

Normally I just use the Beam Machine with the Ryobi to rip 2x4's and not making cants out of logs this big with the 7900. But in this case I really didn't have any other choice.

I don't use it often. But man that thing came in really handy with making that bridge! :)

:cheers:

Last edited:
The Beam Machine is a fine little tool. I didn't plan on using it - I wanted to use my Alaskan Sawmill for the whole project like I usually do. The Alaskan works great for making a cant but there was no chance of me rolling that log over by myself.

The Beam Machine is excellent for making long cuts in wood that isn't thick. It's great for ripping off 2x4's and 4x4's. I don't really like using it on such thick logs like in this situation. But as I stated, the log was way too darn heavy for me to budge. Using the Alaskan Sawmill was only for the horizontal cuts in this heavy log!

I was actually surprised though at how well the Beam Machine performs when coupled with a ported 7900. It was rather effortless with such a powerful saw. :)

Normally I just use the Beam Machine with the Ryobi to rip 2x4's and not making cants out of logs this big with the 7900. But in this case I really didn't have any other choice.

I don't use it often. But man that thing came in really handy with making that bridge! :)

:cheers:

+1

The Alaskan always wins for potential quality, but the beam machine has it's place. Sometimes all you need are roughed out boards and the beam machine is faster to set up, at least for me.

I hope all that crap going in the water is heading for the Genesee River....Because in the other two water sheds in your town are drinking water supplies and sawdust and bar oil play hell with the filters at the plants. Oh and I'm only about 10 min.from you, if I drive slow..

View attachment 124337

Dude,

you're lucky he lives upstream from you. 'Cause if it were me, the stuff coming your way would be the remnants of all the Busch gold tops consumed during construction:cheers:

Back