Bulk Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishcountry

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ok installed a woodburner last year cheap cast iron vogel in living room love the heat (more importantly so does the wife !!) but I went through ALOT of good hard ash. I need bulk firewood and found a somewhat local source of "sticks" . I called a ad on CL last week and they say they'll bring a semi load of "sticks" from 4" to 16" dia. oak and mixed hardwood for $1500 . I asked what it equates to in facecords they say depending on how its stacked and how tight it is on the truck but 45-55 facecords. Has anyone done something similar? That comes out in the $30ish dollar range for a cord i'm kinda wanting to bite but that seems like alot of wood on one semi-load and been let down in the past. Appreciate any input you all have and thank you !!

Ok installed a woodburner last year cheap cast iron vogel in living room love the heat (more importantly so does the wife !!) but I went through ALOT of good hard ash. I need bulk firewood and found a somewhat local source of "sticks" . I called a ad on CL last week and they say they'll bring a semi load of "sticks" from 4" to 16" dia. oak and mixed hardwood for $1500 . I asked what it equates to in facecords they say depending on how its stacked and how tight it is on the truck but 45-55 facecords. Has anyone done something similar? That comes out in the $30ish dollar range for a cord i'm kinda wanting to bite but that seems like alot of wood on one semi-load and been let down in the past. Appreciate any input you all have and thank you !!

I'm a little confused on the math there but if a cord (4'x4'x8' tightly stacked) = 3 "Face cords"...
And a cord of green Oak weighs ~ 5000 lbs
Wouldn't the truck have to be hauling ~ 90,000 pounds?:msp_confused:

" A semi load " could be anything. Call back, ask " How many CORDS is on that semi?". Pulp cords, logger cords, full cords, what ever you call it, 4 foot by 4 foot by 8 foot cords. If they say 20, sounds good. $75 a pulp cord in a 20 cord load is average here, I paid $80 for six cord loads due to weight restrictions on the road.

Now theres some calculations I didn't do !!! Yeah seemed like alot and I know he didn't say 4-5 cords or face cords (asked twice) probrobly full of it . Had a tree service drop off a load of logs a few yrs. ago it was a full truck load of logs and they claimed 10 face cords and it was about right plus it cost $325 not $1500 !!

Now theres some calculations I didn't do !!! Yeah seemed like alot and I know he didn't say 4-5 cords or face cords (asked twice) probrobly full of it . Had a tree service drop off a load of logs a few yrs. ago it was a full truck load of logs and they claimed 10 face cords and it was about right plus it cost $325 not $1500 !!

So what's a full cord of wood going for up there right now? I just don't know if I could stomach paying 96 dollars a cord then having to cut it up and split it myself. I'm lucky to get 150.00 per cord for seasoned hardwood. And I gotta deliver it for that!!!

Right now it is $45-60 a face cord sometimes cheaper if you buy say 3 facecord at a time. Last yr. I was paying $60 but that was good hard wood and zero junk .

So what's a full cord of wood going for up there right now? I just don't know if I could stomach paying 96 dollars a cord then having to cut it up and split it myself. I'm lucky to get 150.00 per cord for seasoned hardwood. And I gotta deliver it for that!!!

It amazes me how prices vary. Around here a log truck load delivered is $150 a cord, usually 7 cord minimum and that will get you a mixed lot of fir, alder, maple, and hemloch. $200 gets you a green split cord.

What I get is just "face" cords 4x8(at $60) so I supposed if it was a full cord it would be 4 times $60 . Good green hardwood that needs to be seasons was offered from the same supplier for $50 a face cord . Hoping I get to go cut some ash before summer is over burns good and is cheaper and I have a lead on about 8 that have been dead for 2 yrs. due to Ash borer.

In MI the DOT allows trucks on the public highway weighing 164,000#, so timber companies can deliver 20 cord loads and be legal. The seller the OP mentioned is being 100% honest, a 20 cord load when cut/split/stacked ends up being 17-18 cord. Check out this thread, another member posted a video in post #8 of a MI legal semi offloading a stack similar to mine.

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/157338.htm

$1500 is not a bad price if he is talking 20 pulpcords. a load like that can be had for $1400 at best here in the north country.

Thanks Shelbythedog just read your entire thread does seem like alot of wood for $1500 may just have to set it up !! I will have some "free" wood too I have a large ash that fell some maple and a lead on 8 more dead trees my buddy and I will divide up but just want to have all my work in one place and get it done. thank you that puts it into perspective.

Trucks in Michigan can legally weigh 162,000 lbs loaded. Most loader trucks haul 20-23 full cords(4x4x8)

So the log trucks can run 10 axles like the gravel and sand guys do up there? That's slick! The guys around here probably wish they could do the same! What varieties of sticks would a load in northern MI consist of?

What I get is just "face" cords 4x8(at $60) so I supposed if it was a full cord it would be 4 times $60 . Good green hardwood that needs to be seasons was offered from the same supplier for $50 a face cord . Hoping I get to go cut some ash before summer is over burns good and is cheaper and I have a lead on about 8 that have been dead for 2 yrs. due to Ash borer.

Remember... There's only 3 face cords in a cord. That's assuming a 16" piece length of course. If you're burning 12" pieces, then just tell me to shut up... :msp_tongue:

So the log trucks can run 10 axles like the gravel and sand guys do up there? That's slick! The guys around here probably wish they could do the same! What varieties of sticks would a load in northern MI consist of?

Could be, Ash, Hard and Soft Maple, Red and White Oak,Birch, Beech,Cherry, Ironwood, amongst a few other minor species. Yes, trucks run Steer axle, Two Driver axles, and up to eight axles on trailers.

I just purchased a semi load from the same ad the op mentioned. He delivered the load on tuesday and I'am very happy with what I got in the load. His loads consisted of hickory, oak and cherry. Most of the logs I recieved were straight like poles, very few crooked logs and now I am going to purchase four more loads from him. I was buying loads from loggers in N. michigan, but they are way too exspensive for what you get in there loads. Most are in the 2000 dollar range for 20 pulp cords of oak.

I just purchased a semi load from the same ad the op mentioned. He delivered the load on tuesday and I'am very happy with what I got in the load. His loads consisted of hickory, oak and cherry. Most of the logs I recieved were straight like poles, very few crooked logs and now I am going to purchase four more loads from him. I was buying loads from loggers in N. michigan, but they are way too exspensive for what you get in there loads. Most are in the 2000 dollar range for 20 pulp cords of oak.

That's cause you have to pay for fuel to haul wood 200 miles south. At even 4 miles to the gallon your talking $200 extra just to get there!

Back