"Burned" Wood...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectre468

ArboristSiteNoob
Reaction score
I have a friend with a forested lot that burned over a couple of years ago. He wants to clear cut it and replant it over the next year. All of his trees are dead standing, but he says he cut one last November and it was still sappy and green inside, said it would still make for good firewood. Other than the bark being charred and messy, would there be any issues with using this as a firewood source?

I have a friend with a forested lot that burned over a couple of years ago. He wants to clear cut it and replant it over the next year. All of his trees are dead standing, but he says he cut one last November and it was still sappy and green inside, said it would still make for good firewood. Other than the bark being charred and messy, would there be any issues with using this as a firewood source?

The only issue is dealing with the mess. I did a 5acr burnover like that years ago. What bark didn't peel off, I used a drawknife to remove. Picked up a couple "butchers aprons" to wear while working with it to keep most of the soot off my work cloths.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back