Burning Box Elder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberwerks

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What would you rate Box Elder as for firewood? I have a fair amount of it but I don't want to sell it if there is a chance people will be un happy with it. I have heard mixed views on this wood. I can mix it in with other better grade woods if that is acceptable.

Dale

Timberwerks said:
What would you rate Box Elder as for firewood? I have a fair amount of it but I don't want to sell it if there is a chance people will be un happy with it. I have heard mixed views on this wood. I can mix it in with other better grade woods if that is acceptable.

Dale
Boxelder is one of the softer of the soft maples. My Dad has tons of it on his property, and burns it in the fireplace along with everything else. It rots quickly in the pile outside. It burns OK, but it burns quick. If you were going to sell it to somebody for firewood, I would at least warn them that it was pretty lame as far as hardwood for serious wood stoves goes.

I would say good for fire pit, not great for fireplace but you can still sell it to them at the same price... maybe.

Thanks guy's

After splitting some of this yesterday I can see it is not to bad a wood. I will only put smore portions of it in per cord of mixed wood. The other woods will be Elm, Ash, Maple, Locust, and some Mulberry perhaps even a little Basswood. Does this seem like a fair combination of mixed woods? I'll keep the Basswood at small amounts per cord as well.

Dale

I'd be very interested in buying some of your box elder, in either log, or chunk form. My wife and I enjoy turning it. I visit my parents in Granton, WI, often, so I'm up in WI a lot.

I've got a large 16' trailer, and will take all you wish to give/sell me.

Got any left?

-dirk

Sure, stop by and pick up as much as you would like (no charge). This has been bucked and stacked for one year so I'm not sure if it's as suitable for turning as a recently felled Box Elder. The tree service I get my wood from has a yard full of wood you can hunt threw as well.

Dale

Hey Dale, I wouldn't hesitate to burn it for fuel. I've burned cords and cords of that stuff because I had to cut down the trees anyway so it was free! Now what has been said here about it being less favorable than the "true hardwoods" is accurate, but the way you propose to mix it with other species sounds very fair. It certainly is one of the worst garbage trees I know of, with an odor to match, but I can think of worse ways to get rid of it than what you're doing.

Dirk, if you want an enormous boxelder log (about 28" by 10') I've got one waiting in Michigan. I'll even load it on your trailer with my front-end loader.

Back