Burning pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read many studies that show seasoned pine creates no more creosote than any other species of wood. But lots of people won't touch it.

While Jack and White pine dont kick off a lot of heat, Norway(red) has the same BTU rating as black ash.

!! PINE IS NO GOOD!! PINE IS NOT SAFE TO BURN !! PINE IS A FIRE HAZARD TO A FLUE!! PINE DONT AN WONT PUT OUT ANY HEAT!! PINE WOOD STINKS WHEN BURNING IT!! so if you have any pine and tend to burn it "DONT" !! call me and I will come and get it from you for free and I will dispose of it properly!! you need to be extremely cautious when disposing of pine!! I can do it right and saftly as no others can or dare!! besides it's the cheapest way to heat my old and cold drafty home???? lol

Here in Washington State we deal mostly with Pondersoa Pine. I think part of the reason that people won't mess with it is because it is heavy to handle green. But thanks to the pine beetle there is plenty standing dead that people will beg and pay you to come and drop and haul off.

I've come to believe "don't burn pine" is like "speed limit 55". Maybe some people COULD drive faster, but sometimes the sign needs to target the lowest common denominator. You know, the person that's never had their chimney cleaned, the chimney has been used for 20 years, they toss their wet paper plates into the fire at Christmas parties for fun.

I burn a lot of pine because a lot of landscaping companies around here will deliver it for free. It makes GREAT kindling because it burns so hot, and the only downside is that a lot of pines are lighter (dry) than a lot of hardwoods (dry). This isn't a rule - check the MBTU chart for whatever you can get your hands on. Douglas Fir is just as good as Silver Maple.

If it lights, and it's dry, I burn it.

Beat cardboard hands done excellent fire starter when seasoned i burn quite a bit myself since everybody thinks it is junk well more for me as i say.
just burn it seasoned if green it will gunk a chimney quick and might cause a chimney fire.

Burned White Pine that I had bucked in rounds that was stacked for two years, took my Fiskars popped them open and into the stove they went. Not bad late shoulder season wood.

Nothing wrong with pine. Like everything, dry it.

Actually, there's more bad potential in burning oak than pine.

A couple years ago I cut out quite a few nice big pine like this one,

standard.jpg

There were some fantastic logs in every one I cut down!

standard.jpg

We cut them at 16' 6",

standard.jpg

and I had to skid them down a STEEP hill, through an old sand pit,

standard.jpg

My tractor wouldn't pull doubles out of the sand pit, so I pulled "singles" out to the road,

standard.jpg

And once there, I could pull "doubles" home,

standard.jpg

where we got started using a high volume of water to wash all that sand out of the bark and off the logs,

standard.jpg

Although all of the above picts are of logs for my sawmill, I DID get a LOT of pine firewood from that job too...every time I milled one of those logs!

standard.jpg

SR

My only issue with pine is that if I don't process it right away then the beetles get under the bark and it peels off and makes a mess. The second complaint is the yard trees that have a million branches. Splitting those main trunk sections is a serious pain even with a hydro splitter. Noodling everything is also a PITA. Straight grained pine? All day everyday if I could get them, but those are not very often, I mostly get the nasty ones.

With that said, I love burning it in my wood furnace that I have in the shop. I can basically keep max heat output going for as long as I feed the fire. Not much coaling going on to take up firebox space like the hardwoods.

I've got a nice 22" Norway that's getting turned into firewood this weekend. Uprooted three years ago and is laying horizontal at chest height. There's a nice 10" birch also in the rootball that is coming home too. My 18" bar is going to get a workout on those bottom cuts but I rarely have a need for a longer bar around here. Pictures to follow.

!! PINE IS NO GOOD!! PINE IS NOT SAFE TO BURN !! PINE IS A FIRE HAZARD TO A FLUE!! PINE DONT AN WONT PUT OUT ANY HEAT!! PINE WOOD STINKS WHEN BURNING IT!! so if you have any pine and tend to burn it "DONT" !! call me and I will come and get it from you for free and I will dispose of it properly!! you need to be extremely cautious when disposing of pine!! I can do it right and saftly as no others can or dare!! besides it's the cheapest way to heat my old and cold drafty home???? lol
:p:ices_rofl::laugh:

A couple years ago I cut out quite a few nice big pine like this one,

standard.jpg

There were some fantastic logs in every one I cut down!

standard.jpg

We cut them at 16' 6",

standard.jpg

and I had to skid them down a STEEP hill, through an old sand pit,

standard.jpg

My tractor wouldn't pull doubles out of the sand pit, so I pulled "singles" out to the road,

standard.jpg

And once there, I could pull "doubles" home,

standard.jpg

where we got started using a high volume of water to wash all that sand out of the bark and off the logs,

standard.jpg

Although all of the above picts are of logs for my sawmill, I DID get a LOT of pine firewood from that job too...every time I milled one of those logs!

standard.jpg

SR
Hell of a job mate!:rock:

how come everyone tells me you cant burn pine?
Either they are trying to misinform you so that they get the pine for nothing or they are trying to sell you some "better" wood.

Any wood, after proper drying, is no problem at all!
one precaution is heavily pitched pine. sometimes called heartpine or fatlighter plus a score of other names.great for starting a fire but I would not suggest it for continuous burning.
Never had a problem with that. As long as it has dryed then it just burns off and that very hot!

Anyone want some free Eastern White Pine? Guaranteed to throw dazzling sparks in all directions, burn up quickly with no annoying coals, coat your saw,hands and clothing with a protective layer of pine pitch, which will not wash away, no matter how hard you try, and provide a lower BTU rating, for a safer burning experience. Call 1-800- GOT -WOOD :D

Back