Burning pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Either they are trying to misinform you so that they get the pine for nothing or they are trying to sell you some "better" wood.

Any wood, after proper drying, is no problem at all!

Never had a problem with that. As long as it has dryed then it just burns off and that very hot!

i have a wood stove with a cat, iwas told when i bought it new 20 years ago not to burn pine. the salesman said it would clogb the converter

i have a wood stove with a cat, iwas told when i bought it new 20 years ago not to burn pine. the salesman said it would clogb the converter

I would have told him to KEEP that stove, right then and there...

SR

2014-05-01 00.28.44.jpg
Burning White Pine seasoned in the round for two years and hand split today, won't be dumping it in the woods anymore.

Attachments

• 2014-05-01 00.28.44.jpg
    2014-05-01 00.28.44.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 2014-05-01 00.28.44.jpg
    2014-05-01 00.28.44.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 5
I've got a nice 22" Norway that's getting turned into firewood this weekend. Uprooted three years ago and is laying horizontal at chest height. There's a nice 10" birch also in the rootball that is coming home too. My 18" bar is going to get a workout on those bottom cuts but I rarely have a need for a longer bar around here. Pictures to follow.
Had to run my mouth about all the cutting I was going to do this weekend and then the fuel pump goes out on my wood hauling truck. I guess I'll get one load with the SUV and utility trailer anyhow.

With pine is it better to let it dry in rounds first then split or split right away? I have only cut/split one pine tree and it sucked to split. The wood would just absorb the maul but I got 3/4 of a cord from the tree for the outdoor fire pit. I split it about a week after I bucked it up, if I waited would the wood dry out and make splitting easier?

I found that with white pine its better to cut it into rounds and leave it sit out six months to a year, then split it...almost no sap.

I cut and split some white pine last year within a week of cutting it down, it was a mess. I didn't get to all of it right then, and still have about half of that same batch sitting on the ground in a pile. Started splitting it last weekend and its so much nicer to work with, although there still isn't a straight split to be had...

With pine is it better to let it dry in rounds first then split or split right away? I have only cut/split one pine tree and it sucked to split. The wood would just absorb the maul but I got 3/4 of a cord from the tree for the outdoor fire pit. I split it about a week after I bucked it up, if I waited would the wood dry out and make splitting easier?
Split it as soon as possible. Dry it can be a real pain as most wood types. But the pine I split had very little sap. Others obviously have other experience.

I have a lot of dead standing white pine, from being planted too closely together by the former landowner, and it splits very easily with just an axe. Good fall and spring wood but it burns up too fast to rely on in the winter. Unless you enjoy being married to the wood stove.

If I have anymore pine trees to come down I will let it age a bit before splitting to see if that helps. How often do you guys sweep the chimney? If I was to burn pine would I need to increase the cleanings (if it was properly seasoned for 2yrs)?

I like mixing coal with pine. The pine does a good job of getting the coal burning and then you don't have to worry about keeping the fire fed if all you have to burn is pine.

Back