Burning pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I have anymore pine trees to come down I will let it age a bit before splitting to see if that helps. How often do you guys sweep the chimney? If I was to burn pine would I need to increase the cleanings (if it was properly seasoned for 2yrs)?
with any type of firewood green, seasoned or dry as the dogs last Christmas bone! it's just a good idea to sweep the flue whether it's needed or not. it's a good feeling to know it's not plugged. you will thank yourself as well as your insurance co for not having to deal with a bad judgment! fire happens when it's not expected!! for me it's like reading the electric meter..

How often do you guys sweep the chimney? If I was to burn pine would I need to increase the cleanings (if it was properly seasoned for 2yrs)?

I tend to get less creosote from my seasoned pine than my seasoned oak...it burns hotter.

Its one of those things you have to find out...clean/inspect the chimney more often to start, until you get a feel about your setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

I tend to get less creosote from my seasoned pine than my seasoned oak...it burns hotter.

Its one of those things you have to find out...clean/inspect the chimney more often to start, until you get a feel about your setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk
Oak 2 years, pine 1 year?

Is burning pine as much of an issue as what stove you are burning it in?

Not really an "issue" IMO. No more so than ensuring safety of any wood-burning appliance indoors. That implies controlled draft.

Operator could be an issue, if he/she is a compulsive stoker, or likes to load high-MC wood.

Assuming that pine and such would be burned as kindling or for short-duration fires, and it's dry, it'd be as manageable as any fuel.

Back