burning softwood.???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That don't compute. Kiln dried pine would burn so fast and hot it could turn the stovepipe cherry red!

Exactly. Modern stove manufacturers specifically warn against such practices because of the damage the excessive heat causes to the stove. The anarchist seems to be devoid of any real world experience. I would imagine that I have far more book learning than he does as well. I have the degrees to prove it.

I know of several well degreed individuals that believe in alien abductions.:dizzy: I've also met the morons that are prone to chimney fires and have seen what sort of idiot burning practices they employ. Most never touched a stick of pine.

Wait.... You are right and the rest of us are all wrong. We are probably all jack-booted republican fascists as well.

What do you burn in your woodstove? What kind of stove do you have?

not enough draft

so in your mind we need more draft would that not make my stack into a torch?

BTW all you smart guys, the reason your pipe glows red is because the outflow of exhaust is NOT FAST ENOUGH!

It is not fast enough and the secondary combustion products are igniting in the pipe! Go back and read what SCP's are and at what temp they burn at!

RED HOT pipes is a function of the LACK of exhaust resulting in combustion continuing in the pipe and with secondary combustion being at 1000F plus which is what it takes to get a pipe red hot.

But I thought your friend clogged his pipe with ONE BURN of kiln dried pine? What? Clogged and red hot at the same time?

Ain't killed nobody yet over here...

You know, you guys think you are so smart with your rye comments, but most are fools who are going to get somebody killed!

It's "wry".

BTW, I burn probably twice as much pine (2-3 full cords per season) as I do hardwoods, have never had a clogged stovepipe. I clean my stovepipe once a year and all I get out of it is a small/moderate amount of black soot leaving a nice clean stainless steel pipe.

Maybe that's not possible but it certainly is the reality of the situation...

oh my, this has turned into nice little flame war. How exciting...

now, from MY experience in burning PINE and SPRUCE in OPEN fireplace and stone ovens, is that you will get creosote build-up with every single kind of wood incase it doesnt get enough air. however when burning any kind of seasoned wood with enough of air i never have seen excessive creosote buildup nor have i seen anyone got killed by burning softwoods.....

now, please continue. The flames are dancing wildly allready...

Good post!

Thank you as the PM you sent me let's me know you agree that yes, you shouldn't let people make blatant lies.

You love it and that's what keeps you reading it.

Thank you.

I am not sure if this is a reply to me since you have not quoted anyone, but If it is, I did not send you a PM and I do not continue to read this forum for the flamewar, I keep reading in hope a sensible discussion of soft wood burning continues, instead of the local egos being stroked.

Tes

What?

You don't like people making up things you said? 'Give it a rest', to quote you directly.

I can now see since it's game set and match that I've done what's needed to warn people about the dangers of pine or any wood I can now leave you to go back to your myths and unqualified opinions as well as red herrings to be the best arguments you can make on anything anywhere.

Since it has been extensively demonstrated that nobody in this thread will resort to any kind of alternative scientific evidence posting to counter my points and definitions and it has now resorted to plain outright lying; since people are so angry at being wrong I will now leave you all to further debase this thread and go back to business as usual. Not everybody likes the truth even if it will help them and this one of those cases where really NOBODY likes it so I bid you ado and you can now go back to giving bad advice and hopefully nobody will have dire consequences because of it.

Make up whatever you want and you'll be smug in knowing how right you are! It is now gospel because YOU said so and nobody will disagree. Burn, burn, burn!

Adios!

Oh my goodness you are such a twit and as you just admitted, you're a liar - kindly go away.

So how 'bout them Patriots.......? Man I think it might be getting a little cold outside, looks like snow too. How about that.

so was the final verdict its safe to burn if you burn it hot mix with hardwood and keep an eye on you chimney or was i totaly wrong for all these years

I just came in from felling, cutting, sledding, splitting, and piling a 50 year old dead sound standing jack pine.

All the time I was out there I was wondering if I'm signing my own death warrant. Joking yes and no. I've always lived in dread of a chimney fire and so far have been lucky not to have one.

I just came in from felling, cutting, sledding, splitting, and piling a 50 year old dead sound standing jack pine.

All the time I was out there I was wondering if I'm signing my own death warrant. Joking yes and no. I've always lived in dread of a chimney fire and so far have been lucky not to have one.

If you are mindful of the shape that your chimney is in I don't think that you are even close to putting yourself in danger. My mother is 78 and has always burned wood, either as a child on the farm or in her own home. Up until 13 years ago wood burning was her sole source of heat. All she has ever burned is jack pine (with some spruce from time to time) and over the years has reduced her chimney cleanings to 2 - once at the beginning and once at the end of the wood burning season. Number of chimney fires she has experienced = 0.

The reduction in chimney cleanings is due to the fact that, in her particular situation, more is not better and additional cleanings have netted very little junk coming out of the chimney (very little).

If your chimney is approved for safety and was properly installed, then you can rest easy just by getting up on your roof and having a look-see to see if there is any build-up that should be cleaned out. If circumstances are such that you would rather someone else do it, farm out the job to a qualified sweep and have them perform that task for you.

You could probably find someone qualified to give your system an inspection as well. If everything is good, this will ease your mind. If they identify some potential concerns, you can have those addressed and obtain peace of mind that way.

HTH

Boy did that go off the rails!
I was enjoying the discussion, and think it is a valuable one, but sure descended in a hurry. :dizzy:

It seems to me that many people obviously burn pine safely and effectively, but those of us that have woodstoves should ALL consider the risks of a chimney fire.
Is it safe to say that if you have hardwood available, pine should be used sparingly, if at all??

I find the idea of using pine to be more dangerous to start a fire, because of a cold flue, the most interesting one presented, as it does make sense.

A new question - How often do you guys clean your flue, and how much do you burn??

Back