Burns better than snowballs!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I burn quite a bit of aspen, i like it for shoulder season when i want some heat but don't want to waste my "good wood". Dries out fast and burns hot,easy to split just burns fast. Aspen makes the majority of what i have available to me for firewood and beggars can't be choosey but i dont mind burning it at all. Beats buying wood or bio bricks.

I burn quite a bit of aspen, i like it for shoulder season when i want some heat but don't want to waste my "good wood". Dries out fast and burns hot,easy to split just burns fast. Aspen makes the majority of what i have available to me for firewood and beggars can't be choosey but i dont mind burning it at all. Beats buying wood or bio bricks.

Wood you have available is always good wood.If all you have is aspen that is the best available.I do not like to burn willow or sycamore,but if thats all I have thats the best I have. I have burnt sycamore in the past,but it has to really be dry,but it does burn hot and fast when dry.Fresh cut it will literally sink in water.

What are you guys doing to season it? I mean, do you keep it in a shed or under tarps?

Seems like the stuff goes bad about as fast as paper birch sitting on soil.

mine gets split right away then goes in the wood shed. Dries like a dream like that. Cant let it touch the ground cause it'll soak up the water and go punky quick. Keep it dry tho and it works good. I burn it shoulder season and during the day when im around alot and save my good stuff (maple) for nights. My only choice for wood is aspen, pine, and limited quanities of maple and ironwood off my land in northern wisconsin.

used to be a spring tradition in this area. "Cuttin' and peelin' pulp" in the spring. Very little money in popple (yes I know its really aspen) now, bought by the ton, and try to get a trucker to pick it up before it dries out and gets much lighter. I'm barely old enough to remember using a spud and terms like a "5 stick tree" and using a Farmall C to skid

I really miss when Forest Service used to actually allow logging on our National Forests. Those big chunks of young aspen coming up are premium deer and grouse food. Hunting was much, much better 20 years ago here

Latest posts

Back